Best Inflation Head For An Air Compressor

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

EvilEuro

by EvilEuro

As explained in a thread on tubeless setups in the wheels section, some fun with my new Shamal C17 2-Way fit wheels has led to me purchasing an air compressor to deal with tyre mounting and seating issues.

However, I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for an inflation device (for lack of a better term)? I know that the defacto would be the Park Tool INF-2, which I can get for a very good price.

But does anyone have another inflation tool that they prefer or recommend over the INF-2? If so, what is it and what is your reason for preferring to use it?

As well, if anyone has a hose or other accessory set which they prefer or recommend, I'd love to hear about it.

As for what I'm looking for, quality definitely trumps price as I'd much rather pay once and be done with things than buy cheap, buy twice (or three times).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

glepore

by glepore

The prestacycle tool works fine...its a cheap chinese valve mated to a pretty nice chuck. They also have a tubeless specific inflator on their webpage.

I've used a device identical to theirs for some time...homemade before theirs was available. I disregard the gauge and set the regulator to the pressure I want, using a harbor freight locking adjustable regulator on the compressor outlet.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

EvilEuro

by EvilEuro

Along these lines, does anyone have any recommendations for a quality hose to connect to the compressor? There are so many seemingly identical, cheap (both in terms of looks and price) hoses out there on Amazon, etc., that I honestly have no idea which are very good and which are just crap.

I'd prefer a higher quality hose and don't mind paying a bit more for it over a less expensive but lower quality hose.

ManekiNico

by ManekiNico

If you prefer an old-school rubber hose, you probably can’t go wrong with Goodyear Rubber Air Hose. 25' x ⅜" for USD 23.75 at Amazon.

If you’re want a synthetic/hybrid hose, then look at Flexzilla Air Hose. Lighter than rubber, stays flexible in cold temperatures, little coil memory, and the neon green colour ensures you won’t trip over it.* 25' x ⅜" for USD 17.99 at Amazon.

*Although somehow I still manage to trip over mine. :oops:
Mom: He was very sickly until he started riding around on that bicycle.
Dad: Yeah... well... now his body’s fine, but his mind is gone.

SpecializedColnago

by SpecializedColnago

I use retracting hose reels in my garage cause I hate winding hoses up every time you use them. I'm not sure what country you are in but here in the U.S. you can get them at Northern Tool and Equipment stores. I have both a 1/4" one that is 25' long for bike tires and a 3/8" one that is 50' long for airing up car tires in the driveway. I also use the park tool INF-1 and it has served me well.

EvilEuro

by EvilEuro

Oh yeah, it would have helped if I said that I was in the US. :)

Thanks for the suggestions. I hadn't thought of going with a hose reel, but it's a though now since it will definitely be in the garage. The longer one is most likely better since I can then also use it for some automotive stuff as well.

commendatore

by commendatore

ManekiNico wrote:If you prefer an old-school rubber hose, you probably can’t go wrong with Goodyear Rubber Air Hose. 25' x ⅜" for USD 23.75 at Amazon.

If you’re want a synthetic/hybrid hose, then look at Flexzilla Air Hose. Lighter than rubber, stays flexible in cold temperatures, little coil memory, and the neon green colour ensures you won’t trip over it.* 25' x ⅜" for USD 17.99 at Amazon.

*Although somehow I still manage to trip over mine. :oops:

+1 for either of these options. The flexzilla retracting reels are also nice but much more costly.

For seating tubeless tires I just use the small prestaflator (no gauge). Typically I don't go to the air compressor for general inflation because of the noise so I passed on the park inflator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

Anything by SKS. My 6€ plastic Presta head is excellent.