Breathable Jacket?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

sfo423

by sfo423

Anyone have a recco on a lightweight breathable jacket? It does not have to be waterproof. I bought an Endura Pakajak which is a decent jacket. But, it holds moisture in and by the time I'm ready to put it in my back pocket, the entire inside is beaded up w/moisture.

I just need that extra barrier to wear in the early AM, lightweight and packable. Windproof would do the trick, but needs to breath out.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

antonioiglesius

by antonioiglesius

My info is a couple of years old (sorry), but the best breathable material I've come across is the eVent. It wasn't that common then, IIRC it has to do with licensing of the tech or something. It used to be found in the top tier jackets, e.g. I have a Bontrager jacket that has eVent. It seemed noticeably better than the Gore Tex jackets I used prior, and I still like it a lot.

I don't know what the current situation is. I know Gore Tex came up with a very thin jacket this past Eurobike. Personally I stick with Gabba, which is one of the best clothing I've purchased. However, I wouldn't call it lightweight or packable.

kgt

by kgt

I used to have an Etxeondo jacket that was getting dump even after an hour's ride. I got an Assos and never had such issues. I guess, though, that most hi-end jackets nowadays are breathable. Endura offers good quality for the money but frankly it is not at the top in terms of technical clothing.

hambini

by hambini

Castelli Gabba would get my vote, not sure how breathable you want it but it's also semi water tight. I use it from 2C up to 20C - and that's living in the UK with it's rubbish weather
Hambini Aeronautical Engineer, Polluting YouTube since 2016 - views expressed are my own...

glepore

by glepore

The e-vent jackets are really nice. Pricey though. But I think if what the op wants is a separate jacket, then something like the pocketliner, or whatever Castelli calls it now, is perfect.

My personal solution is with the Gabba crowd-a Gabba convertible with lightish (nano or similar) arm warmers and a short sleeve base underneath. Arms come off the Gabba when it gets a little warmer, then arm warmers if needed. Pretty good from 4-18c or so...much above that even the short sleeve Gabba needs to be run unzipped. But for most training outside of real winter, its pretty good.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record