Anyone know of a reasonably quiet fan (for indoor training)

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Shrike

by Shrike

Looking through Amazon, and most stuff seems to be the same model rebadged with people saying they're noisy. No clue what to go for..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jekyll man

by jekyll man

Depends if quietness or it doing fan type stuff is your main consideration.

Unfortunately the ones that are capable of creating cooling tend to have quite a bit of displacement, and by definition, are noisy.
Pedestal or desk fans don't really cut the mustard i'm afraid.

I'm using 1 similar to this, its fairly noisy but then so is the turbo!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-Indust ... SwB09YLvPr
Official cafe stop tester

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Unless you happen to own a really silent trainer (I don't, so I don't know how silent is Tacx Neo, for instance), the fan won't be the loudest thing in the room anyway.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

dem

by dem

I've used 3 types, the big metal industrial "air circulators", the "Vornado" style, and now the blower style.

Blower is by far the best - much quieter, and the air really hits you instead of going all over the place.

fa63

by fa63

I use the same one pictured above; it works very well and I don't find it to be noisy enough to be a bother.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shrike

by Shrike

Currently using a good spin bike which is really quiet, but ordered a Tacx Flux which will be louder.. not sure how loud really though. Was hoping the fan wouldn't be much louder than it.

Maybe just have to suck it up. Seems that blower style fan isn't really on the UK market yet :x

And that Sealey. My God, looks like it could lift a plane :up:

AJS914

by AJS914

Having used a cheapo $20 box fan, I can tell you that if you can use it on a low speed setting it will be quiet enough. At full blast, it will be noisier than a trainer.

I used to put my trainer directly under a ceiling fan. It was very quiet and worked great.

guyc

by guyc

I've been using this for a year or so - quiet, efficient, small.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06ZY8DK1 ... wDbB9XBQHM

mcfarton

by mcfarton

Get a good fan and Bluetooth headphones lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shotgun

by shotgun

I use a vornado, their mid-sized. good noise to air ratio. Pushes more air than average.
2018 Giant TCR Advance SL0 Disc
2017 Festka Scalatore
1989 Battaglin Roche
1985 Alan Carbonio

Warnsey

by Warnsey

Vornado is by far the best I've used for both output and noise.

ms6073

by ms6073

For the past 2-years, the wife and I ride have been using a pair of Lasko pivoting utility floor fans similar to the one pictured above. While these are nice fans and put out a nice volume of air, the fans are also very noisy when set to the max setting, so I just ordered a pair of the Vornado 723's a try as they have larger blades are based on spec's should be a 1/3rd quieter than the Lasko's.

Update: After an hour on the trainer, started out with the new Vornado 723, but switched back within 15-minutes as my perception was that the Lasko Max had a higher CFM in our trainer room. While the Vornado was a bit quieter, our 'trainer room' (a spare bedroom) faces to the west and despite the trees in the yar and mini-blinds covering the window, with outside temps topping 95 F and inside a 'cool' 72 degrees, the Vornado was not putting out enough air so I switched back to the Lasko. :(
Last edited by ms6073 on Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

dj97223

by dj97223

I'm very happy with the Lasko. I find the lowest speed more than enough to keep me cool.
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

On most days I just use one medium sized Vornado pointed at my chest, and one pointed at my face from slightly off-angles. On hotter days, I switch on a 20" AirMaster in addition to the Vornados. Laskos also work really well for blasting at your chest/midsection.

I find for anything beyond endurance, a two fan arrangement is optimal..