Long sleeve summer jersey

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

nickcube

by nickcube

Hi all,
Looking for a long sleeve summer jersey for something nice and light. Medication I'm taking right now makes my skin extremely prone to sun burning and thus also makes me more prone to skin cancer. The doctor advised me that me and the sun probably won't get along well this summer,which isn't the best thing I could have heard since we're just about to head into summer in melbourne.
Whilst I know castelli have their spf50 arm 'warmers' and rapha have a long sleeve aero jersey, I was wondering if anyone else had any recommendations for a lightweight long sleeve jersey, bearing in mind that some rides may end up being in 35 degree weather
Cheers

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rudi

by Rudi

I have a Sportful Pista Long Sleeve - I think they had a SS (Spring/Summer) designation rather than the thermal ones I can see on the net today (Northern Hemisphere). Very lightweight, but maybe not the best for UV protection as it is very thin.

When burnt whilst on holiday a number of years ago I found very light summer armwarmers (Mavic I think) were tolerable, so those castelli ones might be your best option.
Cervelo R3 - 5.4kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=142420

spud

by spud

just use sun sleeves. I no longer ride without them, even when it is stink hot. Application of sunscreen on your arms interrupts the evaporative process anyways, and leaves a mess on your hands when you start to sweat. You can buy a couple pairs of sun sleeves for not much money, and not have to retire a big chunk of your wardrobe.

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

I am interested in sun sleeves also, as we are going into summer here in South America. Any recommendations on brands that are better than others?
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

1415chris

by 1415chris

What about Rapha's arm screens with SPF50?

gravity

by gravity

I'm interested in this. It's hot year long where I live. The Q36.5 looks like a good candidate and it isn't too much money.

https://www.q36-5.com/q36-5/onlineshop/ ... Arm-Covers

nohands

by nohands

1415chris wrote:What about Rapha's arm screens with SPF50?

I have them. I wouldn't recommend.

Initially they're nice and compressive but over time they stretch out. I would expect them to last at least two seasons but I only got half of a season at best.
A lot of sportswear companies are making sleeves now, Castelli, Pearl Izumi, Nike, Columbia, etc.

KCookie

by KCookie

I always use Assos clothing, live in OZ to and I regularly use the Mille/ summer Jersey it's a relax fit keeps me cool but also keeps the sun off my arms.

sanrensho

by sanrensho

Craft Arm Coolers work well for me and are durable. I have two pairs in constant use during the summer and they are still going strong after several seasons.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

spud

by spud

nohands wrote:
1415chris wrote:What about Rapha's arm screens with SPF50?

"I have them. I wouldn't recommend".

I've got two seasons on a set - they are a little baggier than they used to be, but they still fit well. That said, I don't have skinny climber arms. My wife had to have them taken in to fit her skinny arms properly.

On the other hand, I've got two pair of real cheapies, can't recall the name but they cost about $6 a pair. very elastic, nothing wrong with them, happy to have spares around.
Last edited by spud on Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

See Sunscreen .

I bought Seavenger sun sleeves as discussed at Sunscreen. They seem fine, but i don't have a comparison with anything else.

nickcube

by nickcube

Couldn't find the sportful or the assos jerseys, it's a pretty specific thing so I'm not too surprised there aren't many out there. Sounds like many of the arm skins are pretty good(minus the rapha stuff) so I guess i'll just pick up whatever i can find, cheers!

Rudi

by Rudi

I assume that the manufacturers base their range on Northern Hemisphere seasons (not sure if true). Maybe do as you suggest but look again in your winter 17?
Cervelo R3 - 5.4kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=142420

Bluecoupe

by Bluecoupe

I have a similar problem but I can't use sunscreen as there's something in it that I'm allergic to.

I have a pair of Pearl Izumi sunsleeves and a pair of assos arm protectors both fit well as they don't go sliding down my arms and they are breathable so they aren't soaking wet after a ride. Been using them for 2 seasons and no complaints here.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com