Alternatives to California in Europe

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

sawyer

by sawyer

As per the above, probably the south of Spain or the canaries are the places that come closest

The only place in Europe that is genuinely warm all year round is the Canary Islands. Off there again (Tenerife) in 5 weeks ;-)
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jonesalice

by jonesalice

Spain is amazing, I adore this country. I've lived in Cadiz for 6 months (Andalucia), is a perfect place to enjoy your life and for cycling as well. But maybe it is not perfect for those who is looking for a job. Barcelona is a very nice place to live and work. And it is comparatively not expensive https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/in/Barcelona and it seems even possible to buy a decent but cheap apartment there https://tranio.com/spain/catalonia/barcelona/apartments/ One more good thing - it is always a lot of fun there because of people from all parts of the world. I hope to visit Cadiz this summer...

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

If you don't want to live in the United States, just wait for California to secede. Or your one of 6 (sub-)Californias to secede, presuming you want Zuck as president.

sawyer

by sawyer

jonesalice wrote:Spain is amazing, I adore this country. I've lived in Cadiz for 6 months (Andalucia), is a perfect place to enjoy your life and for cycling as well. But maybe it is not perfect for those who is looking for a job. Barcelona is a very nice place to live and work. And it is comparatively not expensive https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/in/Barcelona and it seems even possible to buy a decent but cheap apartment there https://tranio.com/spain/catalonia/barcelona/apartments/ One more good thing - it is always a lot of fun there because of people from all parts of the world. I hope to visit Cadiz this summer...

It is a great country yes. And the interior is under-explored, very hospitable IME and beautiful, though I thought Madrid was a bit crap given its size

claus

by claus

Thanks for all the comments!
This brings up some more questions:
Gran Canaria or Tenerife? What are the advantages of those two islands?
Maybe I should try to answer "What exactly are you looking for?"
The basic requirements were mentioned in my original post:
very little rain, definitely no snow, bicycle "friendly" (e.g., not getting harassed by car drivers), local shopping for food.
About a place to live (e.g., coast/mountains): that doesn't really matter, as long as the weather/shopping requirements are met.
For example, if living in the mountains would mean it requires to climb 1000m to get to (or back from) places to shop then that's something I would like to avoid.
That is, places for daily shopping (bread, milk, ...) should be within 15-30 minutes riding time, others not really more than 1 hour.
Another "good thing to have" is being able to reach "quiet" streets for riding within maybe 10-20 minutes, i.e., not having to ride through heavy city traffic for a significant amount of time.

Kermithimself

by Kermithimself

Calp or Alicante.
------------
If you dream of being famous - think of what birds do to statues.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kermithimself/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdCPaXwpeXT_LpuEF0REjqw
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gotlegscycling/

sawyer

by sawyer

Tenerife is great but very extreme. A lot of the coastal roads are busy / not cycleable and the roads up the mountain are "all or nothing". It is great, but less accessible for general riding than the other Canaries

micky

by micky

Kermithimself wrote:Calp or Alicante.

Many foreigners opts for Costa Blanca, normally buying small house in small towns in the rural area as it's very cheap and good weather all year around.
2 airports near by.

BruceCarnevale

by BruceCarnevale

Hey Claus

I'll stick with GC as it has most of what you want. The only problem with GC is that it might get a little boring after awhile as there are only three longer climbs from the south if you want to do tours of less than 100 km. You'll have plenty of elevation. There is one short climb, too.
There is a coastal road in the south that has some traffic, esp when you pass through cities (in Arguineguin traffic can back up during rush hour, but I have never had any problems with this).
Since there is a parallel highway nearby, the coastal road isn't that heavily used, but some locals, local buses and tourists use it. I have never had a close call. In fact the buses tend to give you lots of space when they pass and the taxi drivers have almost always been very polite.
Aside from these three (or four) routes, that's all you have, but they don't have too much traffic. For example, GC 605 from Mogan isn't called Serenity by some cyclists for no reason at all - great pavement, great switchbacks and a only couple of cars in 10 km.
Along the Valley of the Tears (24 km from the coast to the top), I saw two or three cars. You're basically alone on this road.
And you can take the ferry to Tenerife for more climbing fun.

The mountain cities I mentioned before have pretty good infrastructure, so grocery shopping won't be a problem, but bike shopping probably will.

That said, I think you might be better off on the mainland cause there must be a lot more variety. You'll just have to do without almost sun all the time. Lots in Europe rave about Mallorca, cause it's got a mild climate and lots of differing terrain, but it can cool down and rain. Snow is rare.

I doubt you'll find the perfect place. But Spain, mainland, Mallorca or the Canaries should tick a lot of boxes for you.

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

Mallorca would be a great place, that ticks all your boxes as far as I can see.

Palma was recently voted Best Small City in Europe, and it's a lovely place to spend time.

The cycling and the roads are second to none, and although not as warm in the winter as the Canaries, you can still ride quite happily through De/Jan/Feb. It's currently 20'C and sunny.

claus

by claus

About Mallorca: according to wikipedia it has a lot of rainy days (and it's raining here too much too).

I forgot one important thing (because I'm taking it for granted?): A library! (with books written in English...) Hmm, that could be a problem, right?

BTW: can you "get around" with English or is it necessary to learn Spanish (for Gran Canaria)?

Kurets

by Kurets

Mallorca is rainy in winter, but not too bad. Winter is the season when the pro teams are there Dec to Feb. In March the serious amateurs show up and finally from April onwards its the sportive riders and touring cyclists which dominate.
You don't need spanish, english is always fine. Plus there are so many Germans, Swedish, Dutch etc etc. Living there that you shouldn't be surprised to hear some of that too.