My first crash on Sunday

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

User avatar
Calnago
Posts: 5619
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:14 pm

by Calnago

Yeah, I crashed June 5th and suffered a concussion, among other things. Never experienced that before at least not as severe. Guess I was in and out of consciousness in the ER as they did a CT scan, X-rays on knee, elbow, shoulder and collarbone (which was really busted good). Remember being in the hospital but not one of those X-rays. Walked out the same evening on my own steam (with a friend to drive me home) but couldn't even type a sentence the next day. It was a lost summer for me as far as cycling went. Hopefully make up for it next year. Consider yourself lucky. A friend sent me this t-shirt. I hereby digitally pass it on to you...
Image
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

5DII
Posts: 211
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:52 pm

by 5DII

kgt wrote:Actually this is exactly how empirical science works but... whatever you say mister scientist. I just hope you always wear your helmet.


That's not how science works. You need the same situation without a helmet and a different outcome to conclude that the helmet was beneficial. Based on your logic, if someone dies in a crash while wearing a helmet, it is scientific evidence that helmets are useless.

by Weenie


lw11
Posts: 85
Joined: Mon May 02, 2016 6:34 am

by lw11

Glad to see/hear you survived and are recovering. I have the same helmet so am happy to see it works.

Science or no science, in any crash, i'd much rather be wearing a helmet than not.

User avatar
Stolichnaya
Posts: 2614
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:55 pm
Location: Vienna, AUT

by Stolichnaya

5DII wrote:
kgt wrote:Actually this is exactly how empirical science works but... whatever you say mister scientist. I just hope you always wear your helmet.


That's not how science works. You need the same situation without a helmet and a different outcome to conclude that the helmet was beneficial. Based on your logic, if someone dies in a crash while wearing a helmet, it is scientific evidence that helmets are useless.


Please go back and take a look at the OP's helmet and exactly where it was crushed in. Without a helmet this could very arguably have been fatal but would certainly have been major and potentially expensive head trauma.
We could use Andrei Kivilev's death as a low speed crash example to balance out the benefits of using a helmet.
My wife survived a very bad crash because of a helmet a few years ago. (Doctor even asked what brand it was and stated he was going to go buy one himself.)
You can discuss 'how science works' all you want, but wearing a helmet is easy, further reduces risk, and too many people can misinterpret the direction of the discussion here, so quit it, please. The OP walked away with some bruises and a busted €200 helmet. That is a win in my book, regardless of the scientific support or not.

User avatar
kgt
Posts: 6746
Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:29 am
Location: Athens, Greece

by kgt

5DII wrote:
kgt wrote:Actually this is exactly how empirical science works but... whatever you say mister scientist. I just hope you always wear your helmet.


That's not how science works. You need the same situation without a helmet and a different outcome to conclude that the helmet was beneficial. Based on your logic, if someone dies in a crash while wearing a helmet, it is scientific evidence that helmets are useless.


You can try that 'scientific' test yourself and then 'spread' the results...

Marin
Posts: 2658
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:48 am
Location: Vienna Austria

by Marin

#trumped

5DII
Posts: 211
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:52 pm

by 5DII

I am not debating the merits of a helmet. I wear one every time I ride. I am discussing what science is and what it is not. And yes it is off topic, but I wouldnt have discussed it if the claim that this is science was not brought up.

MichaelB
Posts: 424
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:31 am

by MichaelB

Had almost the same type of accident at end of Feb this year. Same sort of scenario, lost front wheel going through hairpin bend. Speed was clsoer to 30 km/hr though.

Helmet suffered same type of impact damage (near new Spesh S Works), but didn't black out. Aside from gravel rash, did a bad dislocation of my R ACL joint so now it sticks up a bit, but at least it didn't break.

Glad you were OK.

Got a new Spesh helmet at $50 off (about 20% discount from their crash replacement policy, so that was OK.

User avatar
Stolichnaya
Posts: 2614
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:55 pm
Location: Vienna, AUT

by Stolichnaya

Marin, 5DII, I understand.
I get emotional about helmets after my wife's crash.
It was a bad one that was made survivable because of a simple piece of foam and plastic strapped to her noggin'.
(DeRosa steel frame had all main triangle tubes crushed in.)

addictR1
Posts: 1254
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:11 am

by addictR1

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and Happy New Years to all...

Update: it's been almost 2 months since my first crashed and haven't been on a bike since then. still have that shadow of crash lingering. after my crash, i went back to Taiwan to attend my beloved grandma's funeral, so it was like a double whammer for me emotionally. while i was there, since i blacked out in my crash, wifey told me to get a CT scan. long story short... CT turned out ok. didn't get the CT with contrast, but didn't feel dizzy or discomfort since then. my left hip and left pinky is another story. hip still hurts, but been hitting the gym and spin class so it's starting to feel better now. left pinky still look fubar... joint is still swollen, but since i can bend.. my family doc thinks it's ok. so we'll see.

the cool thing about POC was through some member's tip, i reached out to them about their crash replacement program. apparently they don't have one. but they came through for me and offered me a 50% off coupon for another helmet. so i picked up their new POC Octal MIPS for $160 shipped. can't beat that with a bat. oh and now sporting the bright orange color... kinda clashes with my BMC TMR02, but still love POC.

finally, i need either a better rear direct mount brake on my TMR02 or a different type of tire. there's not much modulation for the rear brake and with my current Conti GP4KII, it's easy to lock up the rear and/or even in slight braking, the GP4KII seem to lose grip easily.

i've been using Pro4 Service Course on my Addict R1 with no issues.. so i've ordered some 700x25c to try our on my TMR02, instead of using the 23c (even though the GP4KII 23c run more like 25c). so let me know what you guys thinks about either rear brake option or should i just change the tires? thanks.

User avatar
Miller
Posts: 1226
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:54 pm
Location: Reading, UK

by Miller

Good that you're recovering.

Different tyres might help, they might not. If you don't fall off with new tyres, is that because of the tyres or just because you never again replicate the circumstances of that accident? It's unknowable. One thing for sure though, if you ride a lot you will fall off occasionally. It's usually not the end of the world.

addictR1
Posts: 1254
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:11 am

by addictR1

thanks Miller.. that's a positive insight. ;)

got some Pro4 SC incoming, so will put those on and try. just waiting for weather to dry up a bit. have a redline conquest team frameset and debating if if i should build her up. too bad the company stopped making the CX... so i can't see to find a fork with disc option to run it with. guess will just stick with Avid Ultimate Shorty...

hack
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:05 pm

by hack

I don't think the tire change will be all that noticeable or significant for crash avoidance. The GP4ks are a great tire and offer plenty of grip. I suspect most any tire would lose traction with brakes applied while hitting a slick centerline. I bounce back and forth between the GP4ks and Specialized Turbo S-Works. I can get the S-works for a great price, so I've been using them in winter as well ... not the greatest in terms of durability, but great feel and great traction. With that said, I ride with guys that have no trouble railing turns with gatorskins as well.

What brake are you using on the rear that doesn't allow sufficient modulation?

addictR1
Posts: 1254
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:11 am

by addictR1

hack wrote:I don't think the tire change will be all that noticeable or significant for crash avoidance. The GP4ks are a great tire and offer plenty of grip. I suspect most any tire would lose traction with brakes applied while hitting a slick centerline. I bounce back and forth between the GP4ks and Specialized Turbo S-Works. I can get the S-works for a great price, so I've been using them in winter as well ... not the greatest in terms of durability, but great feel and great traction. With that said, I ride with guys that have no trouble railing turns with gatorskins as well.

What brake are you using on the rear that doesn't allow sufficient modulation?


The rear brake I have on my TMR02 is BMC's own rear brake.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

by Weenie


antonioiglesius
Posts: 239
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:08 pm

by antonioiglesius

addictR1 wrote: left pinky still look fubar... joint is still swollen, but since i can bend.. my family doc thinks it's ok. so we'll see.


I had a crash before that caused a joint in my right index finger to swell. It didn't recover in a couple of days so I made an appointment to see a specialist. Before I met him I fashioned a sort of splint (just a tube basically) to stop the finger from bending. To my surprise, the doctor, after determining there was nothing wrong with the bones, recommended not using the splint and let the finger bend naturally. It did get better, but recovery was slow.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post