My first crash on Sunday

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

addictR1

by addictR1

Was coming down on Montebello in San Jose and then at second to last hairpin coming down, my rear wheel skid in the center painted line and went down head and shoulder first on left side at 9.8mph.

Was wearing POC OCTAL helmet (blue garmin one) and it crack through. I blacked out and two MTB guys and my two friend came to my rescue.

Is having the helmet crack through normal?

Here are some photos of the helmet.ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I'm glad you are OK. Yes, the helmet is designed to take the impact and hence dissipate the crash energy. Have you seen photos of some nasty car crashes where the car is completely destroyed but the occupants walked away unharmed? Well the bike helmet works the same way. You want the helmet to take the hit and not your head. You might want to check with POC to see if they have a crash replacement policy. For a small fee you could get your helmet replaced by POC.

addictR1

by addictR1

Thanks!! I'll check with POC to see... Thanks for the tip!

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Yes totally agree, your helmet has done its job and allowed you to "stagger" away. Glad to see you will survive to ride another day.
BB

Coffee & carbon

beeatnik

by beeatnik

First crash ever? On a road bike? Congrats on what seems like a good outcome and a pretty good track record (you've been riding more than a few months, I'd guess).

addictR1

by addictR1

Yea I've riding for about 5yrs now... And first crash. So wifey freaked out. My TMR02 was fine.. Just my red shifters got scratched up and my DA rear skewer got scratched up. My riding buddy that was behind me said when I fell left head and shoulders first, it seemed like I was protecting my bike with my body.. Lol.

Hope that never happens again... Still sore as hell. But went to doc today to get checked up and will get a CT scan next week if I start to feel dizzy.

Shrike

by Shrike

Was it wet when you slid out? Glad you're okay!

kgt

by kgt

A simple proof that helmets can save lives. Glad that you're ok!

Marin

by Marin

kgt wrote:A simple proof that helmets can save lives.

I agree that it was good that he wore a helmet, but this conclusion is not how empirical science works!
Last edited by Marin on Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kgt

by kgt

Actually this is exactly how empirical science works but... whatever you say mister scientist. I just hope you always wear your helmet.

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Good to see that all has worked out for the best.

On the bright side, time for helmet shopping now!
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

And dont be surprised to take a little while to fully recover. When I have been knocked out in the past from accidents, I am usually tired and not fully able to concentrate for several weeks to months.

DanW

by DanW

ghisallo2003 wrote:And dont be surprised to take a little while to fully recover. When I have been knocked out in the past from accidents, I am usually tired and not fully able to concentrate for several weeks to months.

This is a really good point. Keep on top of how you feel and if things aren't right then rest/ get checked out. I say this on the back of various incidents including not being able to read a computer screen for a few days, waking up completely disorientated and severe mood/ concentration changes for several months. Hopefully the only outcome is a new helmet though :beerchug:

sanrensho

by sanrensho

+2 With that kind of impact there is a real possibility of concussion. Take it easy for a few days and watch for the usual signs (headaches, dizziness).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yeah, I crashed June 5th and suffered a concussion, among other things. Never experienced that before at least not as severe. Guess I was in and out of consciousness in the ER as they did a CT scan, X-rays on knee, elbow, shoulder and collarbone (which was really busted good). Remember being in the hospital but not one of those X-rays. Walked out the same evening on my own steam (with a friend to drive me home) but couldn't even type a sentence the next day. It was a lost summer for me as far as cycling went. Hopefully make up for it next year. Consider yourself lucky. A friend sent me this t-shirt. I hereby digitally pass it on to you...
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ