My first crash on Sunday

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

mattr

by mattr

Back to your original post...... on the tyres, nothing much will help on white lines. They are either proud of the road surface, which upsets the balance of the bike and traction available or virtually slick, which gives you issues (obviously!). Bigger tyres run slightly softer might improve things, depending on what the issue with the lines actually was! But in most cases, it'll be a (very) small benefit (i.e. going from one high end tyre to another.) (best one was a load of white lines near where i used to live that ended up *below* the surface of the road. By about 1/2".)

Changing brakes. Hmmmmm, i'd be looking at a complete recabling with top end cables (dura ace probably) and a strip down, clean and oil, before swapping them. Probably try better pads too.

What you need to do is avoid white lines......

addictR1

by addictR1

pads i am running the kool stop salmon brake pad.. which was fitting for that day which was wet. since then ordered Shimano Brake Pads D/A 2 Pair R55C. but yes for sure will avoid the white lines!

brake cables i'm using jag wire road pro... no good?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

Wet white lines?
Well. There we have the root cause of your fall.

About as much grip as polished wet ice.

Everything else is fine. Looks like you've done everything you can.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

Ironically, i had my first crash on Sunday as well. Mine involved a skid-out on some black ice. i picked myself up and continued to ride another 80 miles completing century. I was riding my Ti Firefly and the bike suffered no damage. When I finally got off the bike for good, I found a serious black and blue on my right leg just under the hip which I still feel. Worst seems to be I did something near the groin area. Hurt like hell to walk or move my legs first two days. I'm only now starting to walk normal but still have some mild residual discomfort but my range of motion has greatly improved.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

mrgray

by mrgray

addictR1 - hope things are going OK for you post crash and you are riding again. i have had 2 serious spills and i found in both cases i suffered a little PTSD i reckon. make sure you ease back into riding in situations you feel comfortable in and don't expect things to necessarily ever be the same. and then, due to the miracle of time, maybe one day they will be (or better). the psychological after effects are very real though i think although my first was much worse than the second in that regard.

BTW in both crashes the helmet was destroyed whilst my head was not and so i am very glad i was wearing them.
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

JackRussellRacing

by JackRussellRacing

mrgray wrote:...and i found in both cases i suffered a little PTSD i reckon. make sure you ease back into riding in situations you feel comfortable in and don't expect things to necessarily ever be the same.

Same situation here. This summer I had a quite bad crash in the middle of about 15 riders, and was subsequently run over along my spine by a 70kg+ rider. I had significant pain for about 8 weeks, but thankfully no broken bones. I clearly remember hitting the pavement with my helmet (Lazer), which was destroyed. It has taken months for me to re-gain comfort riding with others on the road. I'm not sure how I'll feel when the season begins next spring, as my schedule does place me in some rather large events with aggressive/fast riders.

Having played ice hockey for many many years, I can safely claim that all the hits I've taken into the ice, along the boards, and into the head by pucks and sticks... none of it compares to the violent force of hitting concrete at speed off a bicycle. I will *never* ride without a helmet and never question the price/value of them. Safety (for me) trumps aero, weight, looks, color, etc.

addictR1

by addictR1

fromtrektocolnago: oh man.. sorry to hear that. hope you are recovering. if anything, it's still best to get it check out just in case.

mrgray: it's been 2 months and i still haven't got on my bike. guess it's just been one of those iffy feeling that still lingers. plus with winter here.. it reminded me a lot of that day's condition when i crash. maybe wait till it's warmer to ease back into riding. but damn my belly is getting fatter from all the holiday foods.

JackRussellRacing: totally agree with the safety trumps aero, weight, look, color, etc statement. not to mention cost. when i got my POC the first time, wifey was wondering why it cost so much.. but after the crash i came back alive, she was glad i got a good helmet and not one of those walmart target ones.