Too much seatpost?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

SlowSprinter

by SlowSprinter

Wish I could test it in both sizes but the bike will be special order in for me and as i live on a small island getting any LBS to order 2 different sizes of bike in to store for me to try is nigh on impossible, they all carry a small stock as we have a small (but captive) population of around 110,000 so selling the other on quickly would be a nightmare for then and they just don't want to hold stock for too long.

The LBS have been pretty good to me over the years as I have bought a fair bit from them including my last bike, so I do trust they wouldn't sell me a dud, also they did get a customer who has the Kougar in an XL to bring his in so I could look at it and have a quick spin, I did like how it looked (although not in the green/white/black) and even though it was too big for me and i only rode it for 5 mins in my work suit, I did like it, but its always good to get an independent view/opinion from those who actually have bought the bike.

As for aesthetics, I reckon this is very important as you have to like looking at the bike as well as riding it, in fact there is a whole page on this forum dedicated to exactly that, plus aesthetics are very much a personal thing, I personally hate too many spacers under a stem, just doesn't look right to me, the Khan I had before it went back had 30mm under the stem and I just couldn't get used to how it looked, it felt comfortable but just looked terrible to me, especially as the seatpost was almost at min insertion as well. The Kougar will have a 110mm - 120mm stem (depending on how it feels, given the reach I may be comfortable on either) with juts a 5mm top cap and a 5mm spacer (or Di2 junction box holder like the lightweight one that months on the stem like a spacer), so aesthetically I think it will look almost perfect.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Fiery

by Fiery

I agree that aesthetics matter, but performance matters more is all I'm saying, and in my experience changing the frame size affects more than just how many spacers you'll need under the stem. It becomes a moot point since you won't be able to test it in advance, but I wanted to provide a counterpoint to all the advice to pick a size based on whether you'll be able to slam the stem.

SlowSprinter

by SlowSprinter

Completely agree with you that how the bike rides is the most important thing, just wish I could get to try the ones I liked prior to buying, suppose its the same issue when buying from the likes of Canyon or Rose etc, the fortunate thing with them is there seem to be plenty of reviews around on the net or in magazines, especially with the likes of Canyon.

I even thought about flying over to the UK and buying from over there however the cost of flights and hotels etc would mean that it pushes the cost of the bike upwards significantly, then also I have to find a shop that stocks the bikes I want to try in the sizes etc, absolute logistical nightmare.

Looks like its going to be down to a 5 mins spin on someone else's bike, a bit of trust in my LBS and some luck.