Cycling on places far away from home

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

wingguy wrote:
fromtrektocolnago wrote:I used to ride years ago with Backroads. They supplied it all, but I didn't enjoy riding their bikes and over time I found the rides lacking.... I enjoyed the step up but again found the experience lacking.... Some of the questions I asked to the operator was how many hours we'll be riding, if I can review the routes, how much experience he had. In the end I had to simply trust that everything was kosher....

Dude, it kinda sounds like you're not really into the type of organised riding that comes with a package tour type holiday.

Mapping tools make planning rides so easy these days, even in places you've never been before, so why not ditch the tour operator all together and just fly out somewhere with your bike and ride wherever you want?
:beerchug:

i do that back home. i like the local expertise of roads, help with the bike and the comfort of knowing i have someone watching my back in a strange place if something goes wrong.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

GambadiLegno

by GambadiLegno

ClemondS wrote:Hello to all first :razz: .

I have some questions about cycling adventures far away from home. What did you do before you go on vacantion - for example on Gran Canaria, Lago di Garda, Dolomites and places like this?

What is your biggest question before start of your cycling vacation in unknown places?

Where to rent your bike?
Where to ride?
Where to find bike guide for your ride?
Which page/app to use for preparation for your rides?
what you should see on your rides?
Some other questions??

Thanks for your feedback. :)
ClemondS

It depends on what type of vacation do you want, you can go by your own or your friends and organise everything or you can search for a tour operator.

In case you decide to rent a bike, in Spain, Italy, France and the most iconic cycling areas in Europe you can rent a bike easily. IMO if you want challenging rides and beautiful scenery you should go to Dolomites, Switzerland, Austria or Spain (Asturias and Cantabria area, or Canary Islands). If you are a classics fan, you must take a week in Belgium between Flanders and Roubaix (if you're not, you must go, you'll turn a classics fan...).

I use wikiloc and ridewithgps when I want to know about new routes, and sometimes Strava.

If you decide for a tour operator, firstly you need to have an idea of what do you really want, a challenging trip with hard rides and climbs, focused on riding and riding, or a mix of less challenging rides and tourism.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

We organise high end tours in Mallorca.

There will be a difference between tour operators running large scale operations, (eg. 30 in the group) and smaller ones with 2 to 10. The latter will be able to take your personal preferences and abilities into account, whereas with the former, it's sink or swim. We ask every client to provide details on their cycling ability and experience so as to tailor rides to suit. We also ALWAYS have a support car in attendance, with food, drinks, tools, spares and medical kit.

And whilst you can of course just turn up on the island with your bike and pedal off*, there is a big difference in trying to follow a GPS route and having the best route worked out for you that takes in all the best roads, views and restaurants, whilst avoiding traffic and poor weather and surfaces.

And parts of Majorca are actually very remote and wild, often 1 hour's drive from civilisation - not the best place to have a chain break on your own.....

*remember to find somewhere to store your bike box!

ricey155

by ricey155

These days it's hard no to find info on routes areas, cycle hire etc just back from Mallorca - you have mallorcacycling.com website routes chat info a plenty - bike hire again well used area expect loads. Strata ridewithgps plenty of routes around and public

Sent from Xiaomi MiPad 1

Mep

by Mep

I'm actually gonna be in Girona and Mallorca in a month or so. The routes in Mallorca are well laid out online, as other posters have mentioned. What about Girona? Any recommended scenic rides?

ricey155

by ricey155

Mep wrote:I'm actually gonna be in Girona and Mallorca in a month or so. The routes in Mallorca are well laid out online, as other posters have mentioned. What about Girona? Any recommended scenic rides?

Enjoy - post back on Girona [THUMBS UP SIGN]

Sent from Xiaomi MiPad 1

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

I've cycled in both Girona and Mallorca. Mallorca has some nice routes but I enjoyed the riding in Girona more. The routes are more varied and the roads are quieter. Mallorca was like an Olympic village for cyclists. Plus after the ride is over there's more to do in Girona. Better restaurants, coffee and sight seeing.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

I'm assuming you were nowhere near Palma then?!

beatle

by beatle

What I do:

1. buy Ritchey breakaway
2. download google maps of the area for offline access
3. read up on area
4. go and ride