Cycling on places far away from home

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

ClemondS

by ClemondS

Hello to all first :razz: .

I have some questions about cycling adventures far away from home. What did you do before you go on vacantion - for example on Gran Canaria, Lago di Garda, Dolomites and places like this?

What is your biggest question before start of your cycling vacation in unknown places?

Where to rent your bike?
Where to ride?
Where to find bike guide for your ride?
Which page/app to use for preparation for your rides?
what you should see on your rides?
Some other questions??

Thanks for your feedback. :)
ClemondS

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pressed001

by pressed001

I think my first questions would be, "where am I going," "what kind of biking here would best suit me," and, "which bike(s) do I bring?" Then that cost of bringing the bikes would have to be less than the cost of renting. I think it costs, what, 100 bucks per over-sized luggage on a flight? It's probably carrier dependent.

Most of the questions that you have are already good. It really depends on your destination. You can then plug that into google and find some local bike tours and rental shops. I would probably just read up some good routes and use google maps to plan them myself. That way I wouldn't slow anyone down and/or vice versa. Plus it would save a few bucks. But, then again, it would be easier to let an experienced person lead the way. Vacation should be easy after all!

Rondje

by Rondje

Where am I going and What are the best/most interesting routes to ride my bike are my main questions. After I know those 2 I try to find a hotel that got a good spot in the region to ride the rides I am aiming to ride.

Rudi

by Rudi

When I have been to places that I don't know very well I have found Strava Heat Map a great source of information as to where to ride (and where not to as well). Obviously you need to apply some common sense as I think commuting routes are also picked up.

http://labs.strava.com/heatmap/#6/-120. ... /blue/bike
Cervelo R3 - 5.4kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=142420

wingguy

by wingguy

Google maps (with streetview) and Garmin connect.

sawyer

by sawyer

good suggestions above

other things ... look local cycling clubs and either hook up with them or else see where they ride.

Look up local sportifs and races to see where they are held, even Strava segments ...
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

micky

by micky

As mentioned above, search beforehand some cycling forum to get in touch with local clubs/shops; I was lucky enough to get to know new friends who showed around when abroad.

ClemondS

by ClemondS

Thx for all answers. Did you ask yourself something like, where is here the best road to ride for and see something interesting? I am looking for an app or web page, where I should just post my start location and app will tell me all other thing, what to see and where to ride? Am I the only one who would like to have all informations on one place? What do you think about this idea?

Stork

by Stork

I went this summer away from home at first time. I was riding on bikes with friends. We spent the night in tents and having fun. My friend broke the bike and we could not fix it by own, thanks to the driver who stopped and helped us. Now we are also planning the trip by bicycle. I have compiled a sample list of what we may need. I think what tools need to take with us. I understand that we need tires, pump, We found a website http://www.discounttrader.com.au with cheap tools. What may we need more?

ClemondS

by ClemondS

Hello folks!
I prepared a survey about cycling far away from home with special prizes!!!
https://goo.gl/forms/DBTrQCnXsSS1FEqD3 (link is external)
It only takes three minutes!

thx to all!

DeniseJordan

by DeniseJordan

ClemondS wrote:Thx for all answers. Did you ask yourself something like, where is here the best road to ride for and see something interesting? I am looking for an app or web page, where I should just post my start location and app will play mega moolah slot here tell me all other thing, what to see and where to ride? Am I the only one who would like to have all informations on one place? What do you think about this idea?

Great idea, I think :)

wobbly

by wobbly

look up Bruno at cyclomundo.com

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

I used to ride years ago with Backroads. They supplied it all, but I didn't enjoy riding their bikes and over time I found the rides lacking. I prefer to bring my own bike. Its not a money issue its an enjoyment issue. For two years I hooked up with a local bike shop and joined them on their Mallorca rides. I enjoyed the step up but again found the experience lacking. I started researching on the web different areas for cycling camps and came up with Girona and I can't speak highly enough about the location as a destination for cycling. Researching companies/operators was harder. I did a few things. I posted on blogs such as Weight Weenies, Velocipede Salon and RoadBikeReview. I also joined Strava groups and posted questions about camp operators and it was this method that resulted in my contracting for my ride last year in Girona. I'm repeating that experience this year. I liked Girona because it has so many different kinds of rides plus it has a great restaurant and bar scene as well as an opportunity to be tourist during the off hours.

Some of the questions I asked to the operator was how many hours we'll be riding, if I can review the routes, how much experience he had. In the end I had to simply trust that everything was kosher. It was but its hard to know if you don't have personal references or dealing with a small company. It was worth it though, I saved money and had a great experience.

There are many good sites that discuss the routes in popular locations such as Girona and Mallorca. Great way to learn if those are rides you want to do. Ask yourself what kind of riding you prefer, flats, climbs, coastal , mountain. Knowing this will help a great deal.
Last edited by fromtrektocolnago on Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

wobbly wrote:look up Bruno at cyclomundo.com

I used cyclomundo to provide support this year at GFNY Ventoux. Stephane Dantin was a wonderful host and a great bike mechanic. I never rode with them on a tour but from their website it seems you have to be self reliant to an extent. Even their guided rides they only have meet-up points with a support vehicle, at least if I read the site correctly. Most of their rides are not supported.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

wingguy

by wingguy

fromtrektocolnago wrote:I used to ride years ago with Backroads. They supplied it all, but I didn't enjoy riding their bikes and over time I found the rides lacking.... I enjoyed the step up but again found the experience lacking.... Some of the questions I asked to the operator was how many hours we'll be riding, if I can review the routes, how much experience he had. In the end I had to simply trust that everything was kosher....

Dude, it kinda sounds like you're not really into the type of organised riding that comes with a package tour type holiday.

Mapping tools make planning rides so easy these days, even in places you've never been before, so why not ditch the tour operator all together and just fly out somewhere with your bike and ride wherever you want?
:beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com