Well Designed Bib Shorts Options?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Point

by Point

It seem's my original jersey thread asking for thoughts and opinions on well designed/subtle gear has gone well. There has been a lot of insight and also some decent reviews in there, so hopefully this could be a foundation for some Bib Shorts reviews/ideas?

Basically:
I'm now in the market for some new bibs, and potentially fancy a change.

I'm going for the subtle/well designed look again, as with the jersey's, and so I'd rather keep away from the likes of Alé (regardless of how good their products are) with the big bold logo's.

Like many of us I've had black for years, therefore I'm starting to think about navy instead, perhaps grey or khaki even?

I tried La Passione's bib's, they're well put together and superb materials, but they're too long and too tight in the groin for me. Also, I felt the mesh material on the back didn't go low enough.

I love the colours of Millar's/Castelli's Chpt./// bib's.
So anything similar in deeper colours would be ideal, less in price wouldn't go a miss either - £190 is a little :shock: .

Example - Image
Last edited by Point on Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Road - Burls Custom Ti
All Year - Rove ST
Gravel - Carbonda CFR 696
Instagram

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

otoman

by otoman

Sheesh, way to brag. "Ooohhhh, it was so tight in the groin..." :lol: :lol: :D

But khaki? No. Just, no.

Garneau tends to be underrated in my book. Well constructed, good pad placement for the road position on the saddle and durable. They have some more garish patterns at times, but certainly subtle options exist as well.

I have a pair of Sportful bibs that would match your criteria as well.
Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill

Point

by Point

otoman wrote:Sheesh, way to brag. "Ooohhhh, it was so tight in the groin..." :lol: :lol: :D

Ass not manhood :oops: haha.

I'll check out Garneau, I've seen their jersey's but not taken much notice of their bibs.

Sportful could be a good shout, I haven't looked at their kit for a while.

I have admittedly just purchased some q36.5 bibs at a price I couldn't resist. I would still absolutley like to see some more solid deep colour products thought if anyone knows of anything?

I really like the look of the Brandt Sorenson kit, but the price is crazy and the drama involved with the guy himself is a bit ridiculous, regardless of the differing business side of things.

And what's wrong with khaki?
Road - Burls Custom Ti
All Year - Rove ST
Instagram

Rondje

by Rondje

I've happily sticked to Assos for years and while trying something else every now and then.

Tried Castelli, but the chamois wasn't for me. Apart from breaking twice it just didn't sit right and the brand logos aren't durable material, which make it look messy after a few time in the washing machine.

Rapha pro team (thermo) seemed okay, but a bit too loose on the ass side when not in the saddle (traffic lights etc) and then started moving a bit. But nice big chamois.

Still undecided on POC, I got 1 of their bibs but it's not one of my "first to grab" because it's a bit love/hate relationship. I got rides where it sits perfectly but then other rides where it just won't. And the bibs seem a bit shorter then the usual. Also weird fitting. Got a size S from them while all my other bibs are M. M might have been better on my legs, but then I would have been too big/loose on my upper body.

Bought a Isadore (the standard version) this spring, didn't love it at first, chamois was a bit too hard, but after wearing it for a while I love it. Fits nice (subtle all black design, even brandlogo), might be a bit longer then my other bibs, but not noticeable longer. Still in perfect condition after crashing in a wet corner on the tarmac. Another + is the price, not as expensive as most brands.

My next up will be Sportful Fiandre No-Rain, interested in how it fits and how well the no-rain works and is allot cheaper then Castelli's Nanoflex.

Been thinking about a pair of navy coloured shorts myself as well. But haven't found any worth trying. Maybe Lumiere or Maap (Ausi's seem to like navy) but the prices are crazy and then I still need to get it to Europe.

If u go Kahki you might as well go full (ugly) AG2R brown :frightened:

raven14

by raven14

Rondje, if you're looking for MAAP in Europe, check out Sigmasport. They sell quite a lot of the MAAP range online.

Rondje

by Rondje

Thanks, I know and there are some other euro based stores as well. I'm just a bit in doubt due to the price. Still don't know if I'm getting cheap or that the prices simply keep rising.

Point

by Point

I think Road.cc did a review on the maap bibs very recently (I think it was them), I'll try find it later... IIRC they weren't impressed with the chamois. I really like the look of Velocio's navy bibs, seen good reviews for them.

[Edit] - Heres the Maap review

Someone posted about Soigneur in the jersey thread and I'm pretty sure they have navy bibs.

Brown is definitely the biggest no no. It's pretty much the worst colour in any design application.
Road - Burls Custom Ti
All Year - Rove ST
Instagram

bJay

by bJay

Check out 7mesh.

Local company here in Van (well, just north of Van) who come from a functional design focus. Plenty of good reviews and a good bunch of folks.

B
a riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped in lycra

Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving.
Albert Einstein

yongkun

by yongkun

Pearl Izumi pro series, they are often on sale, really cheap and really well built

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Point

by Point

bJay wrote:Check out 7mesh.

Local company here in Van (well, just north of Van) who come from a functional design focus. Plenty of good reviews and a good bunch of folks.

B

I had been eyeing up one of their Jerseys, didn't even think to check out their bibs. Cheers!
Road - Burls Custom Ti
All Year - Rove ST
Instagram

geedawg

by geedawg

I'll vouch for velocio. Great quality stuff, well constructed, and comfy.

Just got myself a pair of Le col pro series bibs as well. Very "old school" in construction and styling, but I would have to say with quality close to assos.

Speaking of assos, I will agree their stuff is top notch. However neither this iteration or the prior iterations have worked with me very well in terms of chamois comfort. Ironically I find the Castelli pad to be the most comfy for me by a wide margin. Rapha, santini, and ale work well too.

I will say Rapha bottoms are are great in quality (particularly the pro team stuff), but nothing better than any other brand's top offerings, imho. That hasn't stopped me from having a ton of it though to go matchy matchy with their tops, which on the other hand I do rate very highly.

Sportful stuff (at least the Bodyfit and the higher end stuff) rates highly for me too especially at European prices. They are super underrated and pretty much match Castelli (their sister / daughter company) in technical ability, but usually at a much lower price point. Their winter stuff, along with Castelli, is some of the best around in terms of keeping you dry in wet weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kgt

by kgt

Giordana, Ale, Santini, Assos.

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

I'm going to continue to promote ASSOS. as I work for them.

You're in the UK. The Mille short is £100 - you won't be disappointed. Plus, there is a crash replacement FOC in the first 3 months. After that, we will repair for a nominal fee.

Currently we have an offer at all our bricks and mortar dealers that if you spend £100 on ASSOS you qualify for a free subscription to Rouleur magazine for 4 editions.

JackRussellRacing

by JackRussellRacing

I wear Rapha and Assos primarily.

I went down a painful and embarrassing rabbit hole with Garneau CB Carbon which I hoped would be awesome, but turned out to suck: the fabric is a weird carbon-looking weave which is neat, but the leg grippers are non-existent odd changeovers to normal lycra and the legs literally ride up to your crotch within a few miles of riding. Seriously, when you climb off your bike, you look like you're wearing hot-pants from the 1960's. CB Carbon = cool main fabric but impossibly stupid leg gripper.

jeffy

by jeffy

Yes Assos show clean up with the £100 RRP Mille.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com