Does a Smart trainer make it tolerable?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

jorisee01

by jorisee01

Nobody uses Virtual Training from CycleOps? I think the most versatile app out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rondje

by Rondje

Is trainerroad comparable with Tacx his own software/app? Or is it much better/bigger?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Frisco

by Frisco

I've been using the Tacx Fortius and now the Genius for over 10 years, both of which have a brake that is controlled dynamically by the computer. Of course there is always some degree of tedium riding inside, but it's at least safe and dry and the trainer adjusts the resistance for you on the fly. It's great for custom FTP/CP power based training programs, riding Google earth routes, or casual rides using videos that adjust the motor break depending on the grade. I tested TrainerRoad when it was in beta and didn't see much appeal, and I've never been interested to try Zwift. The longest rides I have done are around 3 hours.

DOUG

by DOUG

I have been seriously considering laying down some cash for a Tacx Neo recently. I use Zwift on a dumb trainer about once a week currently but even that is a bit of a chore. With a 2y.o and a second one on the way its going to be a tough ask fitting in 10h+ a week of structured training without resorting to the indoor trainer. Coupled with the sometimes brutally hot summers we have here west of Sydney i think a smart trainer is going to be a very worthwhile investment. It makes such efficient use of your training time and means I don't have to cut a social ride in favor of a hard training session so I can better balance the types of riding I do and still be able to train for racing effectively.

Sure its a lot of $$ but based on what most opinions in this thread it really does make all the difference compared to the standard dumb trainer.

Dez33

by Dez33

dmulligan wrote:Does Erg mode change the quality of Trainerroad workout or does it make it more enjoyable?

It doesn't change the quality, erg just makes it more accurate if you are prone to losing concentration. Erg makes it easy to hold the power while doing other stuff.

Whereas on say a lemond you have to concentrate the whole time to make sure you are holding the right power, after awhile you get pretty used to it though.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Doug, buy a Kickr and use the difference in $$ to fund 12 months of Trainer road ;) Don't forget to get an ANT+ stick too.
Using Tapatalk

DOUG

by DOUG

Haha yep that's definitely one of the options. Still the Tacx is the marginally better option just need to find it at the right price. Budgets are made to be stretched right? :lol:

ms6073

by ms6073

A pre-programmed workout in ERG mode, simply means you can devote more concentration on the training effort, and not worry when the next interval starts or ends as the resistance automatically changes to the required level.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

jeffy

by jeffy

i hope so!

Stork

by Stork

I don't have a smart trainer. But someone like it

DOUG

by DOUG

DOUG wrote:Haha yep that's definitely one of the options. Still the Tacx is the marginally better option just need to find it at the right price. Budgets are made to be stretched right? :lol:

Ended up getting a great deal on a Tacx Neo so went with that option. As its spring here i haven't used it a massive amount but still get on it at least once a week, come summer when its 40c outside I think it will see a bit more use.

It's definitely made a big difference to my trainer sessions and I haven't had the same "do i really have to do a trainer session?" thoughts since I started using it. 90-120min sessions are not a problem now where they used to be absolute torture. The tactile feedback when riding over cobbles or boards in Zwift just makes it a much more immersive experience as well, even if it is a bit gimmicky. Highly recommended!

jeffy

by jeffy

jeffy wrote:i hope so!

It does ... thank god (Smart/Interactive Trainer is quite an investment).

AJS914

by AJS914

So I picked up a Tacx Vortex Smart. It is one of dcrainmaker's recommended mid-level trainers. I would have liked the Kickr Snap since Wahoo is US based and warranty service is supposedly better but it just came out and it's $599 everywhere.

The Vortex is ironically coming from Germany from bike-discount.de for $340 shipped. I just hope I don't have any warranty issues but I saved $200.

I'm looking forward to it. In Spokane, it's rained 20 days in October (about 5 inches of rain and a 50+ year record). If it keeps going like this, I will need this new trainer.

AJS914

by AJS914

I started riding the trainer after temps when from mid-thirties to mid-twenties and below plus snow and ice.

So far I've been doing 30-45 minute sessions with some intervals thrown in. I'm also doing some light yoga, stretching, and core work before and after. I get a nice hour+ workout.

I haven't used the "smart" features much as I could do all of this on my old trainer. I am getting wattage now and cadence. The cadence figure seems bogus as it seems highly variable. I'm thinking of getting a garmin cadence/speed sensor instead of using the figures from the trainer.

I'll try Zwift next.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com