S-works Tarmac sl4 size ?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

banik69

by banik69

Hi there, I am looking about sl4 frame and I am a little confused about size.

I am 184 tall with 77cm inseam
I prefer smallest frames with long stem, now I have a bmc slr01 with 56 top tune and for sure I don't want longer.

So for Tarmac its better 56,5 top tube or smallest 54,8 with 12-13cm stem ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dogma85

by dogma85

I'm 185cm and I fitted myself to 54. I like it because it's a bit stiffer than 56 and 58 and behave better on descents, and mean fast and technically tricky ones. However be cautious that your seat post will be near the limit (I have 350cm) and your hands will be pretty low. I do not know what do you prefer but for racing I like this as you can get pretty nice aero position, but on the other side this mean you should have strong lower back and arms on races that take more than 3h. All of this could be part of a debate but I am just sharing my impressions after 2 years on 54.
And yes, if there is any possibility for you to test this, this would be the best... as all of us differ in longer/shorter legs/arms/... and other.

banik69

by banik69

@dogma85 thanks my friend very helpful your post, I am 99% sure that 54 will be great for me with 120++ stem....

dogma85

by dogma85

Well you will see. I am on some Specialized 90mm off course minus angle ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

banik69

by banik69

dogma85 wrote:Well you will see. I am on some Specialized 90mm off course minus angle ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Of course I see, but think that now I have 56 top tube with 120 stem with -17 angle and sometimes I think tha I want a frame a little smaller...

Ritsuke

by Ritsuke

dogma85 wrote:I'm 185cm and I fitted myself to 54. I like it because it's a bit stiffer than 56 and 58 and behave better on descents, and mean fast and technically tricky ones. However be cautious that your seat post will be near the limit (I have 350cm) and your hands will be pretty low. I do not know what do you prefer but for racing I like this as you can get pretty nice aero position, but on the other side this mean you should have strong lower back and arms on races that take more than 3h. All of this could be part of a debate but I am just sharing my impressions after 2 years on 54.
And yes, if there is any possibility for you to test this, this would be the best... as all of us differ in longer/shorter legs/arms/... and other.

Wow, I'm 178cm and I ride a Tarmac 56. I don't want to know how strong your lower back is because that drop must be pretty deep.
Road // 2023 S-Works Tarmac SL8 | Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 | Roval Rapide CLX
Gravel // 2023 Specialized Crux Pro | SRAM Force AXS | Roval Terra CL
Retired // 2022 S-Works Shiv TT // 2021 S-Works Tarmac SL7 // 2019 Specialized Allez Sprint Red Hook

banik69

by banik69

Ritsuke wrote:
dogma85 wrote:I'm 185cm and I fitted myself to 54. I like it because it's a bit stiffer than 56 and 58 and behave better on descents, and mean fast and technically tricky ones. However be cautious that your seat post will be near the limit (I have 350cm) and your hands will be pretty low. I do not know what do you prefer but for racing I like this as you can get pretty nice aero position, but on the other side this mean you should have strong lower back and arms on races that take more than 3h. All of this could be part of a debate but I am just sharing my impressions after 2 years on 54.

Wow, I'm 178cm and I ride a Tarmac 56. I don't want to know how strong your lower back is because that drop must be pretty deep.

One friend have the same heigh with you and haves 52 frame with 13cm stem and 7 angle....

Ritsuke

by Ritsuke

Hmm, maybe I should try to go to a 54. It seems to me a 52 would be to small for me (my brother in law has one) but the 54 should cut it. Anyways, not wanting to hijack the thread, I still find a 54 "small" for a person measuring 184 but as said before, your own agility will make a huge difference in the decision.
Road // 2023 S-Works Tarmac SL8 | Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 | Roval Rapide CLX
Gravel // 2023 Specialized Crux Pro | SRAM Force AXS | Roval Terra CL
Retired // 2022 S-Works Shiv TT // 2021 S-Works Tarmac SL7 // 2019 Specialized Allez Sprint Red Hook

sawyer

by sawyer

Amazed there are guys over 6ft choosing 54s. I am 5-10 and rode a 54 spesh for a few years with old (pro) geometry and had a 120mm stem.

At 184 I'd be suprised if 56 wasn't a better size for you
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

gangbang

by gangbang

I'm 183 cm with 83 cm inseam and ride Tarmac SL4 in 54 frame with 120 mm and 7 angle stem.

DartanianX

by DartanianX

I'm on a New Tarmac, 6'2", 80cm saddle height, 155mm -17 stem.

Sent from my BlackBerry PRIV using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hanchangjung

by hanchangjung

I'm 172cm, of couse iam a man.... sorry.. anyway for me.. 49 is pertect to me.