Bike addiction therapy thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

KWalker

by KWalker

Winters is a beautiful race once you get over the climb, don't think any of my teammates were in that field tho.

Don't worry about what zones you've done what in since when, just enjoy the fact that in this world you get to not only ride, but race your bike in neat areas.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tinozee

by tinozee

Right on guys, take a break if needed. I cut my season in half this year and gave zero cares. Even bought a new car and enjoyed a lot of craft beer and it has been awesome! The 2014 frame 2013 wheels, etc all perform fine. In hard training it gets to a point where gaining any more ftp can be insanely difficult or impossible. 20+ hours or racing and training, it can be necessary if you want to continue to improve and it just hurts and exhausts you so much. That one chart in Stava showing the Fitness level is the devil. Anyway, for me the body and fitness came before bikes so I would have no problem selling it all and starting over with one trusty all around road racing bike.

KWalker

by KWalker

What this thread is really about is when a person finally realizes that marketing and hype are, for the most part, bullshit.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

RyanH

by RyanH

I originally was going to make a thread about that, but couldn't find the appropriate wording. Basically, for those that have made the downgrade and understand most mid-tier bikes ride nearly identically to their top end counterparts. While that's the conclusion I have come to, I think there are others in here that are not at that point or will never be, so this thread is still valid. What keeps them going? It's something that I'm curious about, and still am.

We're outliers in this forum, so we bring a unique perspective. Most people that I ride with get an [Evo, Venge, Tarmac, Insert Bike Here] and that's that. They ride it for a couple years then upgrade, but the in-between periods they don't really think much about it.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

My solution as of late is to start building wheels and bikes for my friends who aren't as equipment obsessed as me. Also moving into a shared apartment with limited storage has put a damper on the N+1 craze. I'm happier to build a bomb proof set of wheels for my clydesdale racer friend than I am to watch him tear apart a new set of trainer wheels every 9 months.

beeatnik

by beeatnik

Get a Moots RSL.
Last edited by beeatnik on Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Not quite getting to the point of buying a new bike (would love one, but know the budget is just not there ....), but every now and then find myself lusting after a component or two, and the one at the moment is a pair of Bont Vaypor Plus shoes at a bargain price.

I know I donm't need them, but they are at a great price.

Damn this internet shopping :x

The shoes have been in my basket twice, and both times, common sense has prevailed. Just .... :|

I'm an addict.

Part of my dilemma is solved by getting bits & pieces (and sometimes bikes) to test and do reviews on for an Aussie online site.

Shrike

by Shrike

I'm in a slightly opposing position to the original post. I was pretty content with my bike (Infinito CV), thought it was fast and according to Strava I go on it plenty quick for my level compared to clearly far more experienced guys, so I was never really wanting for anything. Just happy to keep getting fitter and learning how to train right.

All that went out the window this week when the missus got her aero bike (Canyon Aeroad) and I had a quick go on it.

Can't be happy now, the way her bike goes is ridiculous. Used to think reviewers were talking mad balls when they talked about 'fast' bikes. But I get it now. And the contentment is gone. Building a winter bike at the moment, light cheap Workswell frame ordered. Will keep me busy for now, but already started eyeing up S5 frames and getting a feel for a nearly perfect condition used one. Next Spring I know I want to be on one, but I won't sell my endurance bike. Costly mistake having a go on her bike, always there on my mind now. Electronic gears too, thats the other thing, now the contentment with mech Dura Ace is gone. Her Ultegra Di2 is so much nicer. Never cared an iota for it before, and now it's under my skin.

Not always marketing that gets you. Can screw yourself over.

Dogmatic13

by Dogmatic13

Same here. Sold my dogma 2 and got a c60. Love the c60 though reach is longer than my Dogma. Had a professional fit for both my pinarello and colnago, and what I miss most about the pinarello is the fit - I can never get the same on my c60. C60 fits, but pina was perfection.

So yes now I am looking at an F8!

My plan is to move everything to the new frame, but not sell the c60. If the f8 does not cut it, sell it and back to the c60.

But we all know how this is going to end!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Dogmatic13 wrote:My plan is to move everything to the new frame, but not sell the c60. If the f8 does not cut it, sell it and back to the c60.

Of course we do... you will sell neither, and one will end up as your rain bike. :beerchug:
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Dogmatic13

by Dogmatic13

Calnago wrote:
Dogmatic13 wrote:My plan is to move everything to the new frame, but not sell the c60. If the f8 does not cut it, sell it and back to the c60.

Of course we do... you will sell neither, and one will end up as your rain bike. :beerchug:

Exactly! I will keep both - then convince myself I need a rain bike too!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sawyer

by sawyer

Shrike wrote:I'm in a slightly opposing position to the original post. I was pretty content with my bike (Infinito CV), thought it was fast and according to Strava I go on it plenty quick for my level compared to clearly far more experienced guys, so I was never really wanting for anything. Just happy to keep getting fitter and learning how to train right.

All that went out the window this week when the missus got her aero bike (Canyon Aeroad) and I had a quick go on it.

Can't be happy now, the way her bike goes is ridiculous. Used to think reviewers were talking mad balls when they talked about 'fast' bikes. But I get it now. And the contentment is gone. Building a winter bike at the moment, light cheap Workswell frame ordered. Will keep me busy for now, but already started eyeing up S5 frames and getting a feel for a nearly perfect condition used one. Next Spring I know I want to be on one, but I won't sell my endurance bike. Costly mistake having a go on her bike, always there on my mind now. Electronic gears too, thats the other thing, now the contentment with mech Dura Ace is gone. Her Ultegra Di2 is so much nicer. Never cared an iota for it before, and now it's under my skin.

Not always marketing that gets you. Can screw yourself over.

LOL - that is the same feeling I had jumping on my Aeroad after being on round tubed bikes. Physics says it's not just the aero tubing though. It's a very well engineered frame that gives great response to rider input
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

I've been there, done that and - halleluyah - I proud to say I'm cured... at least for now...

there were times I couldn't think about anything else but upgrading my bikes. even during the rides I used to think "gosh if only I could get the Boras" kind of stuff. it was crazy, took most of the fun from riding, up to the point where I just didn't feel like taking my bike out, I would search through catalogues and ebay instead

but then I had a year long break in riding. I was pissed, sold all my gear and got like seriously depressed. then I borrowed some old Shimano Sorry bike just to give it a try and I instantly fell in love again - with riding that is. and through that love I learned to appreciate the equipment more than I ever had. now I've got a nice bike again (my definition of a good bike is that no matter what it has to sit on cosmic carbones, although I've set of Boras as well), but if I were to downgrade to some alu beater I wouldn't mind. for me it's just all about riding, being out in the open and testing myself. the bike has to work, that's the most important thing. sure it doesn;t hurt to ride some funky stuff, but I don't really think about it anymore.
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

RoadBikeStudio

by RoadBikeStudio

Original post sounds like a simple addiction. No matter what you have, there's always something better to get/upgrade. Once the bike is built, you'll hate it cuz its "overbuilt" and useless. Sell and repeat. It's a vicious circle. Not sure if there's a cure...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mbrider

by mbrider

@ryanh - I think you have to have a clear objective for each bike. And, as others have said, I try and find deals as much as possible. Paying full boat for this equipment will bury you.

I am at a point where my workhorse Trek Madone 5.5 is going to get sold. I upgraded this bike and tweaked it as much as I could, and it has been a very solid+fast bike. I have split the attributes and have gone after bike builds that would be lighter or more aero.

I picked up a Neil Pryde Bura SL for an awesome price and have built it up to be as light as I feel comfortable riding. I was aiming for a sub 12 pound bike, but as I was putting it together and trying out new parts, I made the decision / discovery that sub 12 is not doable for me. So, I have settled on 12.5lb - Thanks to this site, I was able to research parts to get me to that weight, and I chose the NP Bura SL, because it is also pretty aero for a light bike (much like your cervelo). The configuration for this bike however, is not. I have SRAM Red Mech (cables in the wind) and a Zipp SL traditional bend bar. The wheels will be less aero than my Zipp 404 tubies. So with this bike I have tried to go as light as possible for me, with an eye on comfort and trying to give up as little as possible in reliability.

My next build is going to be a Cervelo S3, with SRAM etap, Zipp 404 and Zipp Vuka Sprint bars. This bike will be optimized for aero, and trying to keep it as light as possible. Yes it will be marginally less aero than the very top bikes (Felt AR / Cervelo S5 / Trek Madone 9.9) but I am pretty certain my S3 will be lighter than any of those, and by a fair amount ~ 1lb.
With my light race wheels (not quite as aero as 404) this bike will be ~ 1lb heavier than the NP Bura SL, but should be somewhere around 25 - 30 watts faster than the NP Bura SL. I think that will be noticeable. And with the S3 in full aero mode, it will be about 2lbs heavier than the NP Bura SL - so a noticeable difference in weight, especially for an all day excursion into the mountains.

I would suggest that your Scott Foil is too much of a "jack of all trades, master of none". As a one bike kind of proposition, I think it would be pretty ideal - just choose what wheels you would use for each situation - the Foil is fairly light, pretty aero and I think very comfy. Problem is, you already have a bike like that, the Cervelo. And that bike just happens to be massively lighter. So if I were in your shoes, I'd be looking at trying to maximize aero gains for the aero bike in your stable.

With my Trek, I was always switching wheels. On a super windy day, I was reaching for the lowest profile wheels. I came to the realization that its never going to get any easier than just hoping on a different bike. So I try to optimize for riding situations. On super windy days, I think the light, least affected by crosswind setup will be most enjoyable to ride. Just go into the hills / mountains and have some fun. On a day when I know the avg speed will be 16 or 17mph+ reach for the aero bike and just figure out if lighter wheels or more aero wheels would make sense.

If I was to have a one bike do it all kind of situation, I'd probably go with a Domane (Koppenberg or H1 fit). I think you could optimize it for aero and weight and it would be close enough on all fronts. Living in SF and riding in Marin and Napa, I think the "suspension" of that bike would make it amazing on the rough crappy roads. It would be an absolute beast on the decents without doubt. It'd be a super cush replacement for my old Trek.