DIY carbon frame painting

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

J00P

by J00P

I decided to start stripping the paint of my cross bike, since I did not like the design:

Currently I am scraping and sanding the frame. When i am done, I'd like to do a simple paintjob; just some stripes on the frame; for type of design examples see pictures below.
* I'd like to use spray cans.
* Can I spray the paint directly onto the carbon? Is primer needed?
* Do I need to apply a clearcoat on the entire bike, or can I also just apply 303 protectant (I read about that in some threads on stripped carbon frames)
* Any other advice?

possible paint schemes:
Suggestions for alternative paint schemes are very welcome, but is has to be relatively simple, it's my first paintjob.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jorisee01

by jorisee01

I like this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seanmolin

by seanmolin

You're a brave soul. Definitely keep us posted on your journey.

davidalone

by davidalone

I've done this before, some advice:

You will need primer if you want your paint to last any reasonable period of time, and for the colors to look good. you can leave the bare carbon areas with no primer if you want, but from the advice of some composite engineers some UV protetive coating would be advised.
For bright colors, you will need white primer, not black if you really want them to Pop. black primer makes the colors dullaer and slightly darker, unless you use ALOT of paint.
I assume you are using spray cans? Quality of paint matters alot here. buy the highest quality spray can paint you can get your hands on. No cheap $5 stuff. Rustoleum works well if you can get it.

Preparation and patience is key. It is vitally important you have somewhere clean to do your spray painting, and where you can move around to ensure coverage from all angles. it's also very important to clean your paint surface. wash with water, vacuum, then acetone. Do multiple light coats, spray thinly, then wait a day for it to dry. sand in between coats if necessary, and wash between each layer, and vacuum too. It will take you multiple days.

Use LOTS of clearcoat if you want it to last- 2 cans, maybe 3 for the entire frame if you are painting the entire frame.

A caveat, powder coating is going to be inherently better than spray can- no matter how good you do it it wont last as long.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

davidalone wrote: no matter how good you do it it wont last as long.

This is the best advice.

Spray can paint jobs do not last long and will really burst your bubble when you see the paints to chip off. All that work sanding and stripping will be wasted. Good paint is not cheap and cannot be found in a spray can.

Power coating is not an option on carbon.

Marin

by Marin

Not true, you can get really good 2k clear lacquer in cans today.

I rattlecanned my rain bike that gets locked to lamp posts and left at the train station over weekends and I didn't expect the paint to last, but it did.

J00P

by J00P

Thanks for the feedback.
It sounds like it is going to be a challenge. I can still opt for naked carbon with 303 protectant. Or use a few stickers to get some color.
anyway, hereby an update on the scraping, it is a lot of work, I have ~5 hrs in it:

Image Image
I might leave the white paint on the dropouts

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

pity you've sanded the old paint down, new colour would definitely stick to the old one if the original paint is in good condition. arguably better than it does with a 'nude' frame and a primer. less work, same result.

I've done few frames myself, mostly in at least good condition regarding paint. I've used sprays from a nearby shop, mostly some car stuff. BTW it's not about the paint itself as it is the spray can and that thingamajig that.. sprays it. of course - scratches or falls, they leave a bigger scar than normally but there you go - apply some of the paint you have left, and you're as good as new.

as for the process itself - hang it on a rope by the head tube in a warm garage. no outdors - the wind can spoil applying paint. I'd suggest applying around 3 layers, wet on wet. don't wait a day, don't sand it down in between (you'll just make the surface rough), just spray (you want the layers thin), wait around 2 hours and go again. if you do wait till the it dries completely, the next layer won't stick as good.

same thing with wheels, stems, posts - as they're less exposed to harm, it's even easier to customize them with even a five buck can. some deep alu wheelset I painted more than a decade ago (no primers, clear coats, just paint) still looks good :thumbup:
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

kedde1984

by kedde1984

Any update on the paintjob?

J00P

by J00P

For now, I'll go with the "stealth look". The frame is bare carbon with 303 protectant.
Only bottom bracket and around the joints of the seat tube I left some old paint,
over which I've applied a thin layer of matt black. In the style of Kevosinns Addict.
It was a *&@#$ lot of scraping work! I think at least 20 hrs

Maybe later I'll go for some more color.
I could try just a coloured tape (bright blue or green) just above the white drop-outs.
and a similar band with color & white on the vertical seat tube.

Stork

by Stork

Very cool!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com