Training Camp in Europe

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

CanadianBiker

by CanadianBiker

Quick question, I have a 14 year old who will be 15 next summer and I would like to send him 2-4 weeks in Europe to train. Do you guys know any development camps for teenagers? Ideally somewhere like France where they speak french or somewhere they speak english. I am looking for something to help develop a very competitive cyclist and really teach him the proper techniques of cycling. I'm looking for something with room and board.

Any recommendations?

RyanH

by RyanH

A 15 year old kid I ride with is over in Europe right now for training camp, but that's because he made the National team... So there's that option.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

Brittany is ideal for this, a strong cycling heritage, loads of clubs, great terrain and mild winters. I'll ask around. (I've lived in Quimper for 12 years and speak fluent French).

CanadianBiker

by CanadianBiker

RyanH wrote:A 15 year old kid I ride with is over in Europe right now for training camp, but that's because he made the National team... So there's that option.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Son has only been racing for 2 months, he is cracking the top 5-10 in our province but he isn't close to making national team yet lol. I am looking for something to help them try and catch up to these kids who have been training for 4-5 years.

It's funny we can find training camps for Football, Hockey, Baseball etc. but I am having a real hard time finding a cycling camp.

RyanH

by RyanH

My gut reaction is that sending him over there with less racing experience is like throwing him into the deep end of the pool. Racing in Europe is harder. If anything, he should spend more time riding with the local competitive group rides and racing every weekend, that would be a lot cheaper IMO. Our competitive juniors that end up making the national team all have been doing the hardest "senior" group rides and cut their teeth on that.

wingguy

by wingguy

Have you looked at Majorca, Tenerife, Gran Canaria etc?

No idea what setups there are for youth riders, but those islands have really gained popularity as training destinations rather than mainland europe which is full of places that are riding destinations.

(Bastard hot in full summer mind, much better for spring or autumn.)

Antoine

by Antoine

cyclespeed wrote:Brittany is ideal for this, a strong cycling heritage, loads of clubs, great terrain and mild winters. I'll ask around. (I've lived in Quimper for 12 years and speak fluent French).

good idea , http://www.bretagnevelo.com/

otherwise I recommend track racing to gain power and skills

CanadianBiker

by CanadianBiker

Thanks for the recommendations and I will reach out to those camps.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

micky

by micky

In Italy I noticed some training camp for kids, but usually it's up to 12 years old max.

As others said, at 14 things start to change a bit so instead of a training camp I would focus on try many different things like the suggested track/mtb/whatever (please remember he should be the one having fun, dont do the same mistake of some parents).