Book review: The Rules

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

AJS914 wrote:Some of the rules are funny. Some are ridiculous. And some don't make sense. It seems like you need to have ridden during the wool era to truly appreciate some of them. Some of the rules are rooted in retro-grouchness.

otoman wrote:Ride on and take the joke for what it is.

I agree with these posters. Flawed? Maybe. Funny? Many. Timeless? Yup!

The Rules are my occasional North Star. If I care to look, they're always shining the light on what's ahead and behind (except during the day I suppose) because cycling culture is admittedly very odd to those who don't embrace it. More than once I've shared some of the Rules with cyclist friends that needed a "helping hand." They always ask why and I say because it's the rules. I email them the rules and we all laugh (and they get their act together so we all win).

jlok

by jlok

djwalker wrote:Some of the rules make actual sense. Others, like sock height, how to wear sunglasses, etc. are stupid and pointless. All I care about from other riders is that they ride safely when they are near me. Everything else is a big "I Don't Care".

FWIW it's actually more aero by putting the sunglass arms over the helmet straps... saves you 1W probably.... is there Aero Weenies subforum here?
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jeffy

by jeffy

They could really have done with the addition of;

Rule #96 Thou shalt understand satire
Rule #97 Do not talk about The Rules

mattr

by mattr

The irony is that most of the people who quote the rules don't understand satire. Or irony.

djwalker

by djwalker

jlok wrote:
djwalker wrote:Some of the rules make actual sense. Others, like sock height, how to wear sunglasses, etc. are stupid and pointless. All I care about from other riders is that they ride safely when they are near me. Everything else is a big "I Don't Care".

FWIW it's actually more aero by putting the sunglass arms over the helmet straps... saves you 1W probably.... is there Aero Weenies subforum here?

I think that the aero savings or loss probably depends on the shape of your head and the size of your ears :)

Leviathan

by Leviathan

mattr wrote:The irony is that most of the people who quote the rules don't understand satire. Or irony.

Indeed, and its a scary shibboleth for a contingent (or perhaps that should be continent, yes, we know the one) insufficiently ingrained with its own cycling culture as to need some ridiculous dogma to give itself credibility. But funny.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Last edited by kulivontot on Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

jlok

by jlok

It looks better anyway. +1 to the sunglass over strap rule.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10