Book review: The Rules

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

AJS914

by AJS914

Some of the rules are funny. Some are ridiculous. And some don't make sense. It seems like you need to have ridden during the wool era to truly appreciate some of them. Some of the rules are rooted in retro-grouchness.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

McNamara

by McNamara

Definitely a bit of retro-grouch in some of The Rules. Those are the ones I generally flout, such as having facial hair and wearing cycling caps when not cycling.

On a somewhat related note, one of the most egregious Rule #54 violations (no aero bars on your road bike, unless you're doing a mountain TT) must have been the Hotter n' Hell 100 yesterday. I think those of us without aero bars were actually in the minority. I need to do the road race instead next year...

AJS914

by AJS914

I will break 16/17/18 - I have some cool retro jerseys and will wear them - La Vie Claire, Ripolin polka dot jersey, Mercantone Uno pink giro jersey, and a Gelati GIS jersey.

18 - I look like a roadie when I'm on my mountain bike. I'm not going to go out and buy uncomfortable baggy clothes. ridiculous!

21, 22, 23, 24 & 25 are just stupid

28 is surprising - socks can be any color you like...

30, 31 - more stupid - a water bottle mounted mini pump is the best invention since the Silca pump. I loved my Silca but I love my Lezyne too.

37 - wtf?

I can't even go through the whole list. They obviously padded it a lot to get to 95. They could have had a solid 50 rules.

McNamara

by McNamara

I definitely agree with #37. I've never seen anybody who looked good with the arms of their sunglasses underneath the helmet straps. Think about it: helmet straps want to lay flat alongside your face. Sunglass arms tend to curve away from your face a bit (unless you have an enormous head). When you stick the arms of your sunglasses underneath the straps, the straps bulge outwards, making you look like a doofus.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I think if you take The Rules toooo seriously, then you will never "get them". Those that do should be flogged with an old Silca Pump resplendent with a Campy Head.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

sawyer

by sawyer

LOL

What's with the 5mm spacer above the stem rule? 2mm is much classier!

They also underplay the elevated status of tubulars - though from the forum/blog on there it's clear there are plenty of clincher only boys living in fear of tubs ;-)
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Ok... forget the rules for a moment and I will agree totally with the 5mm spacer above the stem. But that goes back to when there weren't many options and you needed enough space for the top cap to move before bottoming out on the expansion plug. A 2mm spacer will often not allow enough room. And if the carbon steertube did not come all the way up through the stem, and was cut lower like was always the case with alloy steertubes and a flush top cap, then the tops of the steertubes could easily get "coned" in and the stem would eventually slide up a bit. That occurred to me several times with C40's and 1 inch carbon steertubes. I've always used a 5mm top cap and made sure the steertube extends all the way through the stem ever since. There are new designs now that may or may not require this. Plus, I don't think the larger diameter steertubes 1 1/8" steertubes are as prone to that "coning" effect as the older 1" carbon steertubes were.

Ok, enough of that , back to the non seriousness of The Rules, Obey them and you shall prosper. Lol
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

AJS914

by AJS914

I found a beautiful Ritchey 3mm spacer that is perfect! Another broken rule... :-)

Back in the day, I actually changed my cyclometer to kilometers. I lasted a couple weeks before I found it too annoying since my brain works in miles.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yes, I could get the 3mm to work if I wanted to as well. But I just like the looks of 5mm on top. But rules are made to be broken. A 5mm spacer on top or flush, those are my only two options now.
As for miles vs kilometers, I use whichever the standard is in the country I'm riding in.

McNamara

by McNamara

I have 5mm on top and 10mm below. If and when I'm flexible enough, I shall have my steerer re-cut and slam that stem. And maybe even shell out a few bucks for a 2mm top spacer.

I'm struggling with Rule #24. Sure, we used kilometers and meters all the time in the Army, but I'm so deluged with imperial units in everyday life that it's tough to stick to metric. "How many miles did you ride today?" "Oh, 80 kil... I mean, about 50 miles." It gets old converting that shit.

ajmit3

by ajmit3

“The metric system is the tool of the devil! My car gets fifteen rams to the hogs head and that’s the way i like it!” – Abe Simpson.

fogman

by fogman

Cycling Tips says to forget the Rules.
https://cyclingtips.com/2017/03/comment ... not-wrong/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

I only violate one rule ... applied recursively, that is.

otoman

by otoman

That's a stupid editorial highlighting the fact that the Rules need to exist. If you don't codify these points somewhere, standards won't exist. True you do not have to follow the rules (I don't on some, EPMS case in point) and it is OK! Ride on and take the joke for what it is.
Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

djwalker

by djwalker

Some of the rules make actual sense. Others, like sock height, how to wear sunglasses, etc. are stupid and pointless. All I care about from other riders is that they ride safely when they are near me. Everything else is a big "I Don't Care".