Routes in Pyrenees

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

thencameyou

by thencameyou

Hi all, I will be with a friend in Pyrenees for two weeks in early September - first week in Bagneres-de-Luchon, second in Argeles-Gazost. Keen for ideas on routes to ride, like the idea of the classic Tour de France climbs but also want to do Cirque du Gavarnie. Happy between 100-200k / day. thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JamieL

by JamieL

I'm in Pau and i've done a lot of the hills around here, less so over towards Bagneres. When you're in Argeles have a look at the Cirque de Troumouse as well as Gavarnie (And make sure you carry on up past Gavarnie to the Col De Tentes)
https://www.strava.com/segments/2007195

The col de Spanelles, the col de Borderes and the climb to Lac d'Estaing are all worth a go as well. It's difficult to make a loop out of the Argeles Valley without doing the Tourmalet but these others are all worth an out-and-back.

thencameyou

by thencameyou

Thanks JamieL, the Lac d'Estaing and Borderes look like they could be added onto a loop with the Soulor?

thprice

by thprice

You will have travelled half way round the world .. go for it...
http://www.ccb-cyclo.fr/raid_pyreneen.html
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/3836304

JamieL

by JamieL

thencameyou wrote:Thanks JamieL, the Lac d'Estaing and Borderes look like they could be added onto a loop with the Soulor?

You're right, you could. The soulor is pretty much out and back then though - although there are options for that:

Borderes - Soulor - Ferriers - Assons - Lourdes would be a good day out - the ride up the Gave de Pau from Assons to Lourdes is quite nice

Soulor - Ferriers - Spandelles - Argeles Nice route, 2 good climbs

Or even

Soulor - Ferriers - Spandelles - Couraduque - Argeles (there is a small road 1km or so after Spandelles, dirt track but passable on road bike tires if dry, https://www.strava.com/segments/2057875)

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

I'd recommend a loop ride from Luchon up the Port de Bales across to the Portet d'aspet, up the Col de Mente drop into Spain and then over the Col du Portillon and back to Luchon. That's about 130km, if you're fitter than me (which is entirely possible) you can add a there-and-back ride up Superbagneres to add 36km or Superbagneres and Hospice de France for an additional 48km. It would be one hell of a tough day!

Other routes I'd recommend are Luchon to Col de Peyresourde to Plat d'adet via Lancon down and back up to Col d'Azet then back over the Peyresourde into Luchon. That's about 100km you can add SuperB or the Hospice too
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

defride

by defride

AGz up to Soulor then turn right for a lovely descent down to Ferrieres and on to Asson, left on to the D35 toward Bruges and Louvie-Juzon where you can turn left up the valley toward Laruns and back over the Aubisque or if the legs are feeling good you could turn right at L-J and shoot down to the D918 turn at Arudy then over to Lubre Saint Christal, left onto the D238 up to Escot and then the Col de Marie Blanque which brings you back over onto the road leading to Laruns and the Aubisque.

The Cirque Du Litor between the Aubisque and Solour (from the Aubisque direction) and the plateau 1/3 the way down the Marie Blanque on the Bielle side were the highlight of my (not extensive) cycling in the area.

Just stunning everywhere with all sorts to keep you interested. Just keep your fingers crossed you get the weather