Best place to stay in northern Italy

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

helldiver

by helldiver

I'm planning a road cycling trip with my brother at the end of July (21-27. July), somewhere in the northern Italy and we are looking for the best place to stay.
We would like to cycle 100-150km every day (maybe 1 easier flat ~50km day), preferably with lot of climbing.
Our ideal location would be some place situated little bit higher (1200 -1500m over sea level), with several nice/longer climbs nearby and optionally for a flatter route as well.
What we don't want is being in some "posh" location, with lot of tourists, crowded roads, staying in city centre, etc - some nice accommodation in a "god forgotten", well located village would be ideal.
So far, we have been looking for some accommodations in Madonna di Campiglio, around Bolzano and Merano.

Thank you very much for all your suggestions :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wingguy

by wingguy

Riva del Garda for the lake, Cortina D'Ampezzo or anywhere around it in the heart of the Dolomites, Bormio for Stelvio and other monster passes.

Or maybe Aosta Valley for the northwest instead of the northeast.

Vagabond

by Vagabond

Bormio. Hotel Funivia. Bolzano seems great as well.
Colnago e Campagnolo

helldiver

by helldiver

Thank you very much for all your suggestions - Bormio seems like a clear winner so far :)

Rondje

by Rondje

The region around Bassano del Grappa. It's a nice region and you are next to the mountain line (not in the middle of it), so you can easily choose a flatter route as well. The Monte Grappa as closest big mountain, which you can climb from 5 different sides, but there are plenty of other climbs, or nice roads to choose from.

As said before Cortina D'ampezzo, The Dolomites is also really beautiful and lots of climbs to choose from.
Borgo Valsugano, close to Trento next to the Passo Manghen is also a beautiful region.

campbellrae

by campbellrae

We're off to Bormio for a week at the start of September. Got the Gavia, Mortirolo, Umbrail and Stelvio passes all on the door. As well as loops around the Bernina and Livigno. There are some other, smaller climbs as well. The only thing really missing is a flat recovery route as far as I know.

jerrybrabus

by jerrybrabus

agree :up: Aosta Valley is the best place ;)
wingguy wrote:Riva del Garda for the lake, Cortina D'Ampezzo or anywhere around it in the heart of the Dolomites, Bormio for Stelvio and other monster passes.

Or maybe Aosta Valley for the northwest instead of the northeast.

wingguy

by wingguy

jerrybrabus wrote:agree :up: Aosta Valley is the best place ;)

Just so happens they had an EWS race in La Thuile this weekend - the photo's can do the talking!

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/ews-round-four-la-thuile-italy-day-one-2016.html

jerrybrabus

by jerrybrabus

WOW, I have no words mate, you are lucky :beerchug:

wingguy wrote:
jerrybrabus wrote:agree :up: Aosta Valley is the best place ;)

Just so happens they had an EWS race in La Thuile this weekend - the photo's can do the talking!

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/ews-round-four-la-thuile-italy-day-one-2016.html

wingguy

by wingguy

Not me unfortunately!

I'll be there later this year though. 8)

jerrybrabus

by jerrybrabus

Vagabond wrote:Bormio. Hotel Funivia. Bolzano seems great as well.
Nice there but seems to be expensive Hotel, thanks for your suggestion :thumbup:

Vagabond

by Vagabond

jerrybrabus wrote:
Nice there but seems to be expensive Hotel, thanks for your suggestion :thumbup:

It's not really. You get breakfast, amazing dinners and I mean really amazing, van supported group rides if so desired, complimentary evening drop off for early morning delivered kit washing, a service to drop off descending kit at the top of the Stelvio and Gavia passes if you desire so you don't have to haul it up the climbs, and a pick up service in case of mechanical break down. For 150 Euros a night I think this is a killer deal. And the riding is of course out of this world. Have fun!
Colnago e Campagnolo

basilic

by basilic

Aosta is beautiful but you'd be doing mostly up and down rides, there are hardly any loops.
Bolzano is low elevation, a bit urban, may feel hot in the middle of summer.
Hard to beat Bormio, Corvara, Canazei, Cortina etc, you're in the mountains, lots of variety, great loops. Forgotten villages they are not though

micky

by micky

Lake of Garda has plenty of options and routes.

jerrybrabus

by jerrybrabus

Thanks again mate, i`m really excited to see this place... :beerchug:
Vagabond wrote:
jerrybrabus wrote:

It's not really. You get breakfast, amazing dinners and I mean really amazing, van supported group rides if so desired, complimentary evening drop off for early morning delivered kit washing, a service to drop off descending kit at the top of the Stelvio and Gavia passes if you desire so you don't have to haul it up the climbs, and a pick up service in case of mechanical break down. For 150 Euros a night I think this is a killer deal. And the riding is of course out of this world. Have fun!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com