Garmin Edge 820 Discussion Thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

EvilEuro

by EvilEuro

I thought it would be more appropriate for there to be an actual discussion thread (rather than a rumour / video leak thread) for the Garmin Edge 820 now that it has been released.

Obligatory link to DC Rainmaker's initial impressions: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/07/garmin-edge-820.html

Discuss away.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

grover

by grover

I'm still on the 800. It's 8 years old. The screen is so dull that I need the backlight fully on all the time to see it. But it always records my data, it's intuitive and the navigation capabilities have been a lifesaver in unfamiliar locations. It's fast approaching death I fear though. 8 years and still being alive and competitive feature wise is very impressive though.

I've been holding out for something I thought was actually better.
The 1000 is too big.
The 520 is low on storage for maps and navigation is a second thought.
The 810 is clunky.

I'm excited about the 820 though. It looks like what I want. Full feature navigation, all the power/training tools, small and light, UI makes sense to me.

Sold.

EvilEuro

by EvilEuro

I'm in the same boat with regard to having a 5 year old Edge 800 and holding out waiting for what I was hoping would be the 820. The 1000 is too large. The 520 didn't have full mapping capabilities. This is exactly what I was looking for and it'll be nice to become untethered for the purposes of uploading data.

The only disappointment is the inability to expand storage. But I can live with it when all is said and done. I will have an Edge 820 sooner rather than later.

mvnsnd

by mvnsnd

I'm using an Edge 500. The 820 is on my list ahead of the 1000 now because of form factor and features. I like the 1000, but its just a little too big. I would have liked the 820 to be a tiny bit bigger, but its better than what I have now ;)

The 520 seemed on odd step to me and I'll be getting the 820 when it becomes available. The advanced mapping and live track were the important features for me.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I too have an 800. I just ordered the 820 and it should be shipped soon. I look forward to the added features that the Vector pedals have but the 800 does not deliver.

I'm certain there will be some software patches, but I hope all the issues will not effect me. So far, all the Garmins I have had, worked as expected.

mvnsnd

by mvnsnd

Butcher wrote:I too have an 800. I just ordered the 820 and it should be shipped soon. I look forward to the added features that the Vector pedals have but the 800 does not deliver.

I'm certain there will be some software patches, but I hope all the issues will not effect me. So far, all the Garmins I have had, worked as expected.

Where did you order it from that it should be shipped soon? I see dates out until the end of July.

the jackel

by the jackel

I've just had an email from Sigma Sport in the UK that states they have the 820 in stock.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Pre-Order, Ships at the end of the month [or early Aug].

News Flash. In the mail now [Clever Training].

TVQgolf

by TVQgolf

Just ordered one today and it shipped out today! eBay link

rkan

by rkan

mvnsnd wrote:I'm using an Edge 500. The 820 is on my list ahead of the 1000 now because of form factor and features. I like the 1000, but its just a little too big. I would have liked the 820 to be a tiny bit bigger, but its better than what I have now ;)

The 520 seemed on odd step to me and I'll be getting the 820 when it becomes available. The advanced mapping and live track were the important features for me.

Any fans for a Edge successor? The Bryton 330/530 seems like a good option. set to cost 110€/160€ with wifi uploading, similar route following to edge 500, and 36hr/33hr battery life! At least the CPU should be a tad faster so not even a bigger track should take ages to load.

Some pics here http://www.mobile01.com/topicdetail.php?f=318&t=4821522 Also there are a couple youtube videos. The only thing that I find annoying currently is that the LCD doesn't span the whole screen area..

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

So I need to ask a question to anyone that has bought a new 820 and is old enough to use readers (magnifying glasses). The reason I liked the bigger screen for the 800/810 was that even though the text was a bit fuzzy, I could still read all the information. Technically I need bifocal sunglasses that are about +2 diopters in the bottom and clear on the top, but I can't find anything I like. It takes me a few seconds to adjust from looking down the road to looking at the Garmin.

The 820 using the same resolution as the 800/810 so just taking into account the smaller screen size, the 820 text should be sharper than the older 800/810. I am curious if anyone is in a similar situation to me and can tell me how readable the text is without helper glasses? Obviously after they have used it for a ride or two.

mvnsnd

by mvnsnd

I can give you some insight soon. I wear contacts to ride (and need readers to read anything small) and have trouble reading the fine text on my 500. I am hoping the 820 will alleviate some of that.
Last edited by mvnsnd on Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DanW

by DanW

Pretty much agree with Grover word for word.

Nothing since the 800 has really made me wish to replace it. Even to the extent that if it ever died I would actively seek out another 800 rather then the newer models! The 820 doesn't appear to offer massively more but it does look like there is finally a valid replacement should the worst happen to my 800.

Will be interesting to hear how people get on with it

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

I use an 810. It does what I need. The new features aren't sufficient to entice me to purchase an entirely new unit. If for some reason I lost use of my 810 I might consider a 1000 for the maps and glonass, but those features are not truly necessary.

I ride with bifocal contacts. I need a larger screen and would not want a 520.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

petal666

by petal666

The screen resolution on these things is atrocious. How much had even tech advanced in the list 8 years?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com