Garmin Edge 820 Discussion Thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

coppercook62

by coppercook62

is it stupid to get this if you have a 1000?

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I do not have a 1000, but there are just a few features that a 1000 does not have. I suspect that in a few months, that the 1000 will get those features with a software update.

I have a 800 and it was worth the upgrade.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nils89

by nils89

I paid 399 euro to order the Garmin 820 , but then a flash offer for the 810 came in (240 euro) and purchased it as well... (Originally planned to cancel the 820 order but it is too late...)

Which device should I keep...? the 810 seems more bulletproof, tested, updated and so on... but it is still old 2013 technology, and I wonder if I would regret not getting the 820 instead...

Is the 820 worth the extra cash compared to the 810?

Am just starting to do my own solo rides after 1 year of just following groups without having a clue about where I was. I tried once a 510 and it was "okay" actually although I didn't like its unresponsive touchscreen: Felt a bit too slow and from the 80s..

Thanks for any advice!

bomber

by bomber

@nils89 I just bought the 820 and am coming from the 810. From a value perspective that's up to you however I upgraded for the software and GLONASS which is worlds faster than that 810 for satellite.

So far I'm happy but its early days.
Carb loading since the 90's

My ex ride
My old rides

nils89

by nils89

bomber wrote:@nils89 I just bought the 820 and am coming from the 810. From a value perspective that's up to you however I upgraded for the software and GLONASS which is worlds faster than that 810 for satellite.

So far I'm happy but its early days.

thanks for your feedback. Is swiping through different screen with the 820 a much more responsive and pleasant experience than 810 ?

If I do understand correctly the 820 is more similar to a phone touchscreen and very sensitive (even too much..?) , instead with the 810 you need to press quite a lot and the UI is slower...?

Didn't think about GLONASS Support, although I have it on my Fenix 3 and it wasn't so fast and actually created few bad GPS Tracks when running, so I disabled it most of the time. Might be different story for cycling though.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I like the 800 swiping better than the 820. It may be because I'm too impatient and the screen is still loading [it does not swipe until it's fully loaded].

tomee

by tomee

coppercook62 wrote:is it stupid to get this if you have a 1000?

dcrainmaker does some good comparisons of the 820 to the 1000
http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/07/garmin-edge-820.html

I'd say the only reason to get the 820 if you already have a 1000 is because you are unhappy with the size of the 1000.

nils89

by nils89

So I decided to unbox the 820 and will return the 810.

Used the 820 This morning for an 82km ride and worked out almost perfectly.

Touchscreen (my biggest fear): worked great! Much better than 510 , very responsive, instant reaction swiping through screens and wasn't too sensitive either ! Got it to do all I wanted , and was a perfect experience to me.

Screen : auto brightness kicks in and I could always read the display . In bright sun conditions it was barely readable but still okay, and inside shadowy woods area the brightness went way too low and was starting to be an issue. Auto-brightness was very accurate 95% of the time but not perfect.

UI & potential bugs: UI was very clever designed, everything is easily accessible, and the screen responsiveness is awesome almost instant like my iPhone. Loved the experience. It never lagged , was extremely snappy between screens. No bugs whatsoever from first unboxing the device, loading the maps, and navigating. I could save the activity, and uploaded it on GC and Strava.
Only issue I had was with WI-FI after the ride, i found a wifi network in a café and tried to use it with the 820 so that it could sync with GC. It connected to the network but did not upload the activities. This might be a bug..? Also when trying to pairing it with my phone via Bluetooth my iPhone was unable to pair despite finding a random "accessory" device around. Despite having both my phone (with 4G network) and an available WiFi network it was impossible for me to upload the ride. When home I just plugged the device via USB and all was uploaded in a few seconds. I read somewhere about wifi issues but I thought that was solved with previous firmware updates? Anyway it is a minor bug for me, nothing to be angry about..

Maps: came loaded with Europe maps so I just loaded a GPX file from A strava-created course. The device read the file in 1 minute , found satellites, and I was ready to go. Only big issue was that it was absolutely impossible for the device to calculate alternative routes whenever I went off course. At the very beginning I run into a closed roundabout , could not get through it, so had to improvise a deviation. The device went nuts and started signaling "off course" and "calculating" then "calculating" again... Meanwhile it lost GPS fix and stopped showing my location on the screen. When I went back on the course it started giving "turn by turn directions" in great manner: fast , reliable, easy to read instruction. I did not miss a single turn till the end of the ride. Great experience. Although the device is not able to re-route in case I go off course. Is this normal? I don't think so.

Overall: very happy with this purchase and feel this will be my main device for many years to come. sending back for a refund my brand new 249$ 810 unit.

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

Questions for those who have actual real world usage;

1. Zooming on the map; is this the same as the 810, in that you tap the screen anywhere, then a + and - appears, which you can tap to zoom in and out instantly?

2. Zooming on elevation; again, is this the same as the 810?

Cheers

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I do not have a 810, but it's similar to the 800. Same prompts.

nils89

by nils89

TheDarkInstall wrote:Questions for those who have actual real world usage;

1. Zooming on the map; is this the same as the 810, in that you tap the screen anywhere, then a + and - appears, which you can tap to zoom in and out instantly?

2. Zooming on elevation; again, is this the same as the 810?

Cheers

1)I Never used a 810 so cannot compare but my 820 seems to have the same system with + and - to zoom on the fly while following a course. There is also a hand symbol : if you press it you can scroll around the map to see what's coming next for example or review your itinerary and so on.
I don't know is if the screen in the 810 is equally responsive though: I cannot compare on that either.

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

Thanks for the replies.

So, to confirm, while on the map page, you tap the screen anywhere and a + and - appears, which you can then tap and it zooms in and out.

Then, on the elevation page, how does this specifically work? Do you have the scale distance level on the bottom right, and the height scale on the top left, which you can tap and then zoom in and out of, depending on which one you tap?

Delorre

by Delorre

nils89 wrote:
Maps: came loaded with Europe maps so I just loaded a GPX file from A strava-created course. The device read the file in 1 minute , found satellites, and I was ready to go. Only big issue was that it was absolutely impossible for the device to calculate alternative routes whenever I went off course. At the very beginning I run into a closed roundabout , could not get through it, so had to improvise a deviation. The device went nuts and started signaling "off course" and "calculating" then "calculating" again... Meanwhile it lost GPS fix and stopped showing my location on the screen. When I went back on the course it started giving "turn by turn directions" in great manner: fast , reliable, easy to read instruction. I did not miss a single turn till the end of the ride. Great experience. Although the device is not able to re-route in case I go off course. Is this normal? I don't think so.

Sort of same behaviour as the 520. When you go 'off course' the unit become a little nuts, sometimes freesing the map, and of course, no recalculate. That last one is a little normal, as the 520 can only follow a course, it not really navigates... But still. I'm told I could send the unit back for warranty as this freesing is not normal, but I discovered that goining to an aother screen and then back to the map de-freeses the map ;-)

4151zero

by 4151zero

Is anyone running the 'incident' portion turned off, I fear it will alert my family in error... not willing to test this feature out either.

mvnsnd

by mvnsnd

4151zero wrote:Is anyone running the 'incident' portion turned off, I fear it will alert my family in error... not willing to test this feature out either.

I have yet to enable this feature as I have also heard that there can be some false positives and a notice sent when in fact nothing has happened.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com