Garmin Edge 820 Discussion Thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

4151zero

by 4151zero

Looks good so far, I will be on the fence til more reports of batt life, ease of navigating the garmin UI, and a few other nicks I have with my current 520 are addressed with the new 820

I do agree that my aging eyes prefer a larger screen with better res and batt life.

sawyer

by sawyer

jeffy wrote:disappointing they have made it smaller, the 810 was a great size - 'big enough' for map use to be good. but not giant like the 1000
cynically it seems they have made the 820 'small enough, just' for map use to be ... ok

i imagine Garmin know exactly how many more instore conversions / buy-up they'll be
(intend to buy 810 -> actually buy 1000 vs intend to buy 820 -> actually buy 1000)

Hi - think the point on the sizing is it's the minimum practical size for maps but small enough to appeal to WWs coming from 500s who can't bear the thought of a 1000 weighing things down

I am tempted for that reason
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ozrider

by Ozrider

Feedback on battery life - I did a 3 hour ride connected to Garmin iQ on my iPhone via Bluetooth and had 80% battery left at the end of my ride, after it had uploaded the ride to Strava.

Parlee Z5, Trek Madone, Jonesman Custom
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

richard@lbrc.org

by richard@lbrc.org

QQ: How many data fields can be displayed at once please? My very old 705 is limited to eight, and I wondered if the 820 might do ten (couldn't find anyone mentioning this anywhere on the interweb).

Bonus question if you have: What are these new fangled downloadable app and data fields like? Any favourites?

R.

ncornelisse

by ncornelisse

I'm using 2 pages with 10 fields, perfect for me.

Take a look at the Connect IQ store for the apps. Easy to install with the ios or android app.

I've diwnloaded this one, but have to install it
https://apps.garmin.com/nl-NL/apps/bdba ... d70714bc9f

jimborello

by jimborello

Im waiting for mine , it should arrive next week =)

Ghost234

by Ghost234

I got mine today. So far, fairly please with it, but a few personal touches that I'd like to change.

When I press and hold the power button it shows; power off, sleep, & lock screen. Is there a way to turn this off and just have it turn off? Is there a way to change the startup page to something more similar to the 520 or 1000?

I do wish the unit was just slightly bigger. Would have made it slightly easier to read, and looks better with an XL mount (as that gives you better spacing to hit start/stop & lap)

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Press the off button and do not hold it and it shuts off fine.

10 Fields is max. Many more pages than the 705. I'm guessing at least 6 pages, but I do not have the unit here to verify.

Ozrider

by Ozrider

So far I'm finding it good to use.
One small improvement could be moving the lap and start buttons from the bottom edge to the sides as they are not easily accessible when using a KEdge or similar out front mount, however there is enough space with my ENVE mount and KEdge XL mount to use the buttons wearing winter gloves.
I chose this for the size as I find the 1000 to be a bit too big. Having a landscape mode is not something I'm interested in.
I have to agree it might have been nice to have the 820 sizing similar to the 810. However having used my wife's 500 a few times I realised you really don't need such a big computer.
Mapping is not something I used very often on my 705 and the 820 maps are easy enough to read.
I usually keep my info simple while riding with the following on the font page
Heart Rate
Cadence
Speed
Grade
Elapsed time

Page 2
Heart Rate
Total ascent
Total Descent
Temp
Time of Day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)

reknop

by reknop

grover wrote:I'm still on the 800. It's 8 years old. The screen is so dull that I need the backlight fully on all the time to see it. But it always records my data, it's intuitive and the navigation capabilities have been a lifesaver in unfamiliar locations. It's fast approaching death I fear though. 8 years and still being alive and competitive feature wise is very impressive though.

I've been holding out for something I thought was actually better.
The 1000 is too big.
The 520 is low on storage for maps and navigation is a second thought.
The 810 is clunky.

I'm excited about the 820 though. It looks like what I want. Full feature navigation, all the power/training tools, small and light, UI makes sense to me.

Sold.

I didn't expect such a small device from Garmin with full blown navigation capabilities.
I agree the 1000 series is way to big for me, looks like a gameboy on your handlebars. :) I've used the Edge 510 for some years, before I moved to the Pioneer SGX-CA500. The 520 and 820 are even smaller than the Pioneer Cyclo Computer (the 510 wasn't) I'm really curious how the battery will hold on such a small device, using the navigation capabilities.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://www.cycling-review.net

mvnsnd

by mvnsnd

I've done a couple 3 hr rides following a course and with Live Track running and so far no battery issues. I don't think I've gone less than 80% Also was riding in very heavy rain last week and again, no issues. I'm happy with it, but would have liked it just a bit bigger. I also have an old barfly mount (the original one, I think) that I was using with my 500 and it while works with the 820, but there's not a lot of room reaching the start and lap buttons. It does put the 820 even with the bars though, which I like intsead of above the bars.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I like this group track feature.. surely they will bring it to the 1000.. 520 maybe ? ... but then everyone has to have a 820 or 1000.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

Ozrider

by Ozrider

It's amazing that the 820 is much smaller than the 705 and yet the screen is slightly bigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ghost234

by Ghost234

I've taken my 820 out for a handful of rides now, and absolutely love it. I tried out the map features and it was so much better than my old 800 and 520. I travel quite a bit with my bike, so having the computer do turn by turn directions based off a gpx map is wonderful.

It was really cool having audio prompts come through my headphones when I was listening to music while riding. Absolutely over the moon with this little device.

nismosr

by nismosr

any of guys pair the 820 on the Campagnolo V3 EPS ? waiting for my 820 ..
2020 Colnago C64 Mapei-SR12 EPS-WTO 60
2021 Basso Diamante SV-SR12 Disc EPS-WTO 60
2023 Colnago G3X-SRAM AXS Force-Levante

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com