Garmin Edge 820 Discussion Thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

nycebo

by nycebo

petal666 wrote:The screen resolution on these things is atrocious. How much had even tech advanced in the list 8 years?

This.

kkibbler

by kkibbler

Higher resolution displays directly draw more power, and indirectly require more powerful SOCs to drive it smoothly that also draw more power. Eats into battery life basically. I'm not saying Garmin hits the perfect balance, but there are limitations.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

@petal666, is this from actual experience with the 820 or from what is on paper/specs?

@kkibbler
I have phones that run Bluetooth and WiFi 100% of the time, with a few hours of screen on time and they manage to last for over 18 hours, surely Garmin can get 10 from a real SOC and better display

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Does anyone know if the 820 uses a resistive touch screen like the one on the 510, or a capacitive screen like the one on an Apple iPhone? I prefer touch screen interfaces rather than buttons however I don't like the cheap resistive screen (one where you actually need to press down) on the 510.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I just checked Garmin's website and it says the 820 has a capacitive touch screen. If true the screen should be hard with a glass top rather than the soft plastic screen on the 510. Someone with the 820 please confirm if this is true. Thanks.

petal666

by petal666

Actually screen res has changed, it's gone from 160x240 to 200x265, bringing it inline with devices made in the late 90s / early 2000s. :)

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

Yeah the resolution is pitiful, but my main concern is the screen size. Why did Garmin think that a screen this small was what people wanted and why can't the reduce the size of the bezel if they wanted to maintain the form factor, like all modern touchscreen devices from leading manufacturers?

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Want a larger screen, go a 1000.

I've had an 800, 810 and now on a 520. My issue with the 800/810 is the position of the USB port and water ingress. Had the issue a lot with the 800. Not as much with the 810. But still owing to the position it too has been back to Garmin twice. One time water had totally cooked the micro USB card too :|

Resolution wise, without knowing the specs it immediately felt like the 520 was a little sharper than the 810. Sure it's not iPhone, but battery life is certainly a factor. Comparing it to a phone would be fair - if the batteries were actually the same size.

Side note, those new Bryton's look interesting. Had one a few years ago, didn't mind it.

petal666

by petal666

Resolution on the 520 is the same as the new 820.

I never had an issue with water and the 810. Sometime there would be moisture around the seal/bung when I went to connect it to USB so I was careful to to give it a wipe beforehand.

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

@Tinea Pedis, The 1000 suggestion was lame, as you very well know it is not a real option if you are used to the 8x0 size. It is also easy to make the assumption that the 820 would be sharper, since they slightly increased the resolution from the 810 at the same time shrinking the screen size.

@petal666 I thought the 520 and 820 had the same resolution, but still pitifully low in this day and age. Only issue I have with my 810 is that it loses the Di2 settings on every charge, so instead of 50/36 12-27 it jumps back to 53/39 11-25. Garmin support was no help. I temporarily fixed it by writing new info in the settings file, placing the uSD in my PC and making the file read only.

I might have a solution for the smaller screen size anyway, ordered a pair of Tifosi bifocal reader glasses to ride in. That will clear up the text as well as magnify it a bit.

TVQgolf

by TVQgolf

pdlpsher1 wrote:I just checked Garmin's website and it says the 820 has a capacitive touch screen. If true the screen should be hard with a glass top rather than the soft plastic screen on the 510. Someone with the 820 please confirm if this is true. Thanks.

Got my 820 in the other day. Can confirm that it has a hard glass capacitive touch screen.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Man complains of screen size. Man calls another 'lame' when pointed to a model that fits what he is looking for.

Charming.

And if you've seen a 1000 (I am assuming you have) you'll see it's not that much bigger. And to try and hit the sort of middle ground you're looking for really means there's no point of difference (for Garmin) to other models. So why should they bother.

But that's just me and another lame thought :smartass: :wink:

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

@Tinea If you want to take this on screen size alone then yes the 1000 fits the bill, but you cannot just buy a screen, you have to purchase an entire Edge.
On the bike, yes I have ridden with both, the 1000 is noticeably larger, as the 5x0 size is noticeably smaller. I would be happy with the 820 even at it's new smaller size if they had fit it with the 2.6" diagonal screen size of the older 8x0 series. Current screen technology allows for this. Power savings could be had with newer screen technologies, so saying the use of small batteries limits screen size is just an excuse for not making the screen larger. Middle ground or not for the old 8x0 form factor, I am sure the 5x0 series is probably Garmins bread and butter in Cycling. The 1000 ate into 8x0 sales not 5x0 sales, so for them it is simply a money play, force out the mid-sized tier and maybe a majority will move up in size and profit.

To put it as succinctly as possible, I am not happy with the physical size of the 1000 regardless of the screen size. So not a real solution for me.

glepore

by glepore

WheresWaldo wrote:I might have a solution for the smaller screen size anyway, ordered a pair of Tifosi bifocal reader glasses to ride in. That will clear up the text as well as magnify it a bit.

We've had the Tifosi's in our shop for a bit, really like them. Was going to ask if you'd tried them.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

WheresWaldo wrote:@Tinea If you want to take this on screen size alone then yes the 1000 fits the bill, but you cannot just buy a screen, you have to purchase an entire Edge.
On the bike, yes I have ridden with both, the 1000 is noticeably larger, as the 5x0 size is noticeably smaller. I would be happy with the 820 even at it's new smaller size if they had fit it with the 2.6" diagonal screen size of the older 8x0 series. Current screen technology allows for this. Power savings could be had with newer screen technologies, so saying the use of small batteries limits screen size is just an excuse for not making the screen larger. Middle ground or not for the old 8x0 form factor, I am sure the 5x0 series is probably Garmins bread and butter in Cycling. The 1000 ate into 8x0 sales not 5x0 sales, so for them it is simply a money play, force out the mid-sized tier and maybe a majority will move up in size and profit.

To put it as succinctly as possible, I am not happy with the physical size of the 1000 regardless of the screen size. So not a real solution for me.

Pretty sure Garmin are not particularly concerned with this statement right here... :roll: