Garmin Edge 820 Discussion Thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I have used mine and it went off once. A loud beeping noise alerted me to press a button or else it would send the message. I had enough time to shut it off. I was not in an accident.

I suspect when you hit a bump and then stop, it will be alerted to send a message. If you hit a bump and are still moving, it would not. Of course, I'm just talking out of my butt since I have no official knowledge how it works.

Either way, it will alert you first before it sends a message.

4151zero

by 4151zero

Butcher wrote:I have used mine and it went off once. A loud beeping noise alerted me to press a button or else it would send the message. I had enough time to shut it off. I was not in an accident.

I suspect when you hit a bump and then stop, it will be alerted to send a message. If you hit a bump and are still moving, it would not. Of course, I'm just talking out of my butt since I have no official knowledge how it works.

Either way, it will alert you first before it sends a message.

Thank you for the comment, I'll enable the feature this weekend, and play around with some scenarios while I'm outside in the driveway. :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jekyll man

by jekyll man

Dumb question alert :oops:

How is the illumination meant to work???

Coming from a 500 where i could flick between permanent illumination (night) or off (day) with a push of the power button, i've not managed to come up with a solution other than scrolling into settings mid evening ride. Isnt thats what the "auto" function is for?
Surely there must be an easy way?

I've looked through tinterweb and it seems like its a problem with 510 upwards?

Anyone shed any light on the matter? :D
Official cafe stop tester

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Why not try the auto function and see what it's like for you. I did not like it. I set mine to 80% and leave it alone.

I did a short training ride yesterday and attempted to save the ride. Like many Garmin issues in the past, the 820 froze and stored the ride, but I cannot retrieve any of the information. Hopefully it's a one time occurrence.

nycebo

by nycebo

In regards to illumination, how does the "auto" setting work at night? Is the screen legible or do you have to manually enable the backlight to stay on forever...or at least until the sun comes up?

jekyll man

by jekyll man

jekyll man wrote:Dumb question alert :oops:

How is the illumination meant to work???

Coming from a 500 where i could flick between permanent illumination (night) or off (day) with a push of the power button, i've not managed to come up with a solution other than scrolling into settings mid evening ride. Isnt thats what the "auto" function is for?
Surely there must be an easy way?

I've looked through tinterweb and it seems like its a problem with 510 upwards?

Anyone shed any light on the matter? :D

Okay so it looks like it was me expecting more out of an "auto" function than the name implies. :roll:
Basically the backlight has to be illuminated all the time, and all the auto function does is dim or increase brightness slightly.
Day or night mode just swaps b/w to w/b.

Its definitely a step backward imo. Why need a backlight on in daylight??

Butcher- regarding your lost file.
Can you see the fit file if you connect to a pc?
Official cafe stop tester

thprice

by thprice

Slightly off topic..
WheresWaldo wrote:...I need bifocal sunglasses that are about +2 diopters in the bottom and clear on the top, but I can't find anything I like...

http://www.dualeyewear.com/ offer bifocal glasses +1.5, +2.0, etc, differing colour lenses or photochromic, differing styles.
I have been using them for a number of years. :thumbup:

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

jekyll man wrote:Can you see the fit file if you connect to a pc?

Yup, 10 miles. I try and open it and nothing. I download it to GC and it just does not complete the download so it just sits there doing nothing.

Why do you need back lighting on during the day? So when you go to the shady sections of the ride, you can still see it better. Using the auto function is just disappointing.

4151zero

by 4151zero

Nearly ran my 820 down to zero charge on sunday a.m., forgetting to charge it from last weeks ride. Oops.

It prompted me to go into power save mode, which turns off the screen.. luckily I was only 30 mins from the end of the ride, and it saved the whole thing without issue.

beanbiken

by beanbiken

4151zero wrote:Nearly ran my 820 down to zero charge on sunday a.m., forgetting to charge it from last weeks ride. Oops.

It prompted me to go into power save mode, which turns off the screen.. luckily I was only 30 mins from the end of the ride, and it saved the whole thing without issue.

Well that sounds like at least one promoted feature actually works :roll: :wink:

PS. yes I do own one
BB

Coffee & carbon

petal666

by petal666

Mine never did that, although I only ever ran out of juice once.

4151zero

by 4151zero

beanbiken wrote:
4151zero wrote:Nearly ran my 820 down to zero charge on sunday a.m., forgetting to charge it from last weeks ride. Oops.

Well that sounds like at least one promoted feature actually works :roll: :wink:

PS. yes I do own one

:beerchug:

Not sure what other hidden 'gems' I will find and use in the upcoming months and sub menus... cheers!

dolophonic

by dolophonic

Had issues in heavy rain.. the screen is sensitive.. caused it to go into menu and also affect mapping.

petal666

by petal666

Not once.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dolophonic

by dolophonic

They have done an update that fixes that rain issuewith sensitivity settings, works better.. none of these things are perfect but its pretty good ..

battery save is good too in a squeeze.