brexit,, huge buying opportunity forf us/cad online shoppers

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

fh8425

by fh8425

where can i find good deal on DA 9070 Di2 on UK based online shop ? thanks

Skylark

by Skylark

There's opportunities to be had from any and all events. But this event is turning into a mess because of the lack of impetus of the British to move forwards with their decisions. Markets are a turmoil. You couldn't trust any spot quote given to you. Most CC and banks will set their own rates in any case. Wider issue is the state of markets more generally in the near to mid term.

As I say there's an opportunity to do good from this for the UK. Those leaders who have any germ of insight will make and propagate reforms. But let me warn people that there's now a power vacuum in the United Kingdom. It's not far fetched but the country has turned itself susceptible to all sorts of threats. The Prime Minister has stepped down and all those asking for this have now gone into hiding.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

campbellrae

by campbellrae

sawyer wrote:But you agreed to be part of the UK as recently as 2014 and knew this kind of thing was a possibility right?

Who else has had a say on whether they want to be part of the UK?

Anyway, on the wider point markets overreact ... FTSE bounced back to just over 3% down on worst day anyway.

Seriously, accommodation will be found and it won't turn out to be the huge deal people pretend.

The EU will fall apart in its current guise and will revert to a single market with restrictions on movement between some countries reflecting democratic wishes ...

Other votes to come I'm sure ...

Personally, no, I voted for independence. The SNP will claim that the vote would have gone the other way if we had known we were coming out of the EU and use it to try to leverage another referendum unfortunately.

I'm sure the tories were making noises about an EU referendum back then, but it didn't look like they would end up with the majority required to hold one, and they have always made noises about the EU so we tend to ignore them!

@wingguy you're right about it not being legally binding, but that won't stop them. Their sole purpose since their inception has been independence after all.

sawyer

by sawyer

campbellrae wrote:
sawyer wrote:But you agreed to be part of the UK as recently as 2014 and knew this kind of thing was a possibility right?

Who else has had a say on whether they want to be part of the UK?

Anyway, on the wider point markets overreact ... FTSE bounced back to just over 3% down on worst day anyway.

Seriously, accommodation will be found and it won't turn out to be the huge deal people pretend.

The EU will fall apart in its current guise and will revert to a single market with restrictions on movement between some countries reflecting democratic wishes ...

Other votes to come I'm sure ...

Personally, no, I voted for independence. The SNP will claim that the vote would have gone the other way if we had known we were coming out of the EU and use it to try to leverage another referendum unfortunately.

I'm sure the tories were making noises about an EU referendum back then, but it didn't look like they would end up with the majority required to hold one, and they have always made noises about the EU so we tend to ignore them!

@wingguy you're right about it not being legally binding, but that won't stop them. Their sole purpose since their inception has been independence after all.

Hi there, with respect you're not quite getting my point.

One thing that is obviously dangerous is a referendum to make a country independent that is not legally legimate. When the going gets tough - as it inevitably will at some point - those who didn't support it will not forget. It is an incredibly divisive and unwise thing to do ...

Anyway, remember that 70% of Scottish exports are to the UK, and 20% to the rest of the EU ...
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

sawyer

by sawyer

jeffy wrote:in the last few weeks of campaigning the Leave campaign's hysteria / emotion over logic / scapegoating against all evidence to the contrary....felt VERY like the Trump phenomenon.
How we laughed at the sillyness across the pond. :oops:

You guys have no idea how anti-US the EU is.

... envy ... perhaps ...

And without the UK it will become about 5x more anti-US ...

Dez33

by Dez33

fh8425 wrote:where can i find good deal on DA 9070 Di2 on UK based online shop ? thanks

Ribble or Merlin will be the cheapest.

fh8425

by fh8425

Dez33 wrote:
fh8425 wrote:where can i find good deal on DA 9070 Di2 on UK based online shop ? thanks

Ribble or Merlin will be the cheapest.

thx mate.

spartan

by spartan

i don't think Scottish independence guarantees entry to the EU.. why. spain will never accept it due to the catalan independence issue..

i believe all existing members must agree for a new country to enter the EU. everyone is f***.

i think current eu fundamentally unsustainable. weak southern economies unable to compete with the north. europe should follow the us/canada/mexico free trade zone.
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

campbellrae

by campbellrae

@ sawyer, I agree it's not a good idea, in fact, it's a bloody terrible one - but I still don't think that would stop them trying. And with the oil price so low, times would get tough very very quickly. When that was high, they had a reasonable economic argument, now it's looking less sustainable.

@ spartan I think you're right. Spain would not let an independent Scotland in. The argument here during the last referendum was that we were already a member through the UK, so it's not a new country joining, just a renegotiation of the terms. Whether or not that was/is the case, I don't think anyone knows.

I'm just resigned to it at the moment, as are a lot of others. Another X months of political parties/groups lying through their teeth to get what they want. Joy.

Dalai

by Dalai

sawyer wrote:
jeffy wrote:in the last few weeks of campaigning the Leave campaign's hysteria / emotion over logic / scapegoating against all evidence to the contrary....felt VERY like the Trump phenomenon.

... envy ... perhaps ...

I think you are misconstruing derision for envy. It isn't just a EU thing either. The amount of negative press in AU about the debacle that is your current presidential campaign and lax gun laws just a few of the items in the recent news. The USA isn't the poster child of success or the super power it once was.

The Brexit just shows how lies perpetrated by the Leave crowd can so easily feed an undercurrent of xenophobia.

I'm just glad I live on the far side of the globe at the moment. Though we have our owns clowns on the hustings for our National elections this coming weekend making promises they wont keep...

sawyer

by sawyer

Dalai wrote:
sawyer wrote:

... envy ... perhaps ...

I think you are misconstruing derision for envy. It isn't just a EU thing either. The amount of negative press in AU about the debacle that is your current presidential campaign and lax gun laws just a few of the items in the recent news. The USA isn't the poster child of success or the super power it once was.

The Brexit just shows how lies perpetrated by the Leave crowd can so easily feed an undercurrent of xenophobia.

I'm just glad I live on the far side of the globe at the moment. Though we have our owns clowns on the hustings for our National elections this coming weekend making promises they wont keep...

True re the first para yes ... though the underlying dislike of the US in many non-English speaking EU countries (at least in the political elite) is I think under-appreciated and in a sense kept a lid on by a small co-alition of influential anglo/anglophile countries (UK, Ireland, Holland). The EU without the UK will be a very different entity ...

One reaction that is just beneath contempt is the EU officials saying how Britain needs to be punished to deter others?

Have they heard of democracy?

For that reason, and that the Euro is a bad idea, the EU will I'm afraid either implode of must fundamentally reform ... I don't believe it can do the latter unfortunately. More likely is further exit votes and then a re-set of some sort

chipomarc

by chipomarc

MattSoutherden wrote:I love the fact that petrol retailers have just announced that the drop in the pound will result in massive price hikes at the pump, just days after the cost of brent crude dropped through the floor. :roll:

Retailers are dealing with refinery price, nothing to do with price of crude just out of the ground

wingguy

by wingguy

sawyer wrote:One reaction that is just beneath contempt is the EU officials saying how Britain needs to be punished to deter others?

Who said that?

Doesn't gel with any of the reactions I've seen.

Rick

by Rick

Cotton was a lot cheaper before the American Civil War.
...just sayin'... :beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com