At what point could a bike frame's performance actually make a pro lose their place on the podium.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

defride

by defride

I'd agree that with the majority of Pro bikes sitting between 6.8 and 7.5kg and of similar make up there's unlikely a significant advantage from brand to brand. That said I'd rather be on an S5 than R5 for a breakaway on a flat stage!

As to whether there'd be a point at which the frame of a bike might impair performance? There are no Pro's on steel bikes at the top level, even Genesis here in the UK switched from high profile steel frames to carbon after only a season or so. That would suggest there is point where even the Pro's feel disadvantaged.

This year I just nipped under 4 hrs in a big 100 mile sportive on the Super Six with 55mm deep sections. I did the same ride in 4.13 last year on my Cube winter bike with light weight 32mm carbon wheels, weight wise 6.1kg v 7.1kg. I reckon I'd have gone close to 4 hours on the winter bike this year, flats would be okay, particularly riding the deep sections but I'm not sure I'd have not been able to hold the wheel on the last couple of climbs riding the Cube. Really had to dig deep and there's a noticeable difference between the two when the road rises, you feel like you're hauling the Cube up where the SS just lays down the power. If I notice a difference I don't see any reason why others wouldn't no matter how strong a rider.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hna

by hna

DeeHubbs wrote:
Marin wrote:
bungis wrote:If the frame's weight is so high that they can't get it down close to 6.8kg

There was an episode of the GCN show where they weighed pro bikes - there was only 1 that was close to 6.8, most were well above 7kg...

I think if the fit is good, the bike makes almost no difference, execpt for aero in a TT or breakaway.

I was really surprised by that video too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMsgzD-JFQs

It's the Dubai Tour. The bikes are basically built for aero rather than weight.

Marin

by Marin

hna wrote:
It's the Dubai Tour. The bikes are basically built for aero rather than weight.

What do you think they change to make them heavier?