Bib shorts most like the old Assos S2

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

Hello all.

My fav bib shorts ever are the old Assos F1 S2 like these:

https://www.google.co.nz/imgres?imgurl= ... mrc&uact=8

with the orange pad as shown here:

https://www.google.co.nz/imgres?imgurl= ... mrc&uact=8

EDIT: sorry, can't get the links to work!

I still have a few pairs but despite repairing them a couple of times after crashes, they are now on their last legs.

My favorite things about them were the pad (thicker than the current Assos pad and not "floating") and the lycra in the legs was less stretchy, more firm and stays in place.

I've tried the new Assos, Castelli (pad too thin, lycra too stretchy) and others. So far the next best for me is Sportful Bodyfit Pro because the pad is thicker than some others and everything (pad and legs) stay in place ok. But still not as good as my old faithful Assos S2.

So what is the closest to the old S2, thinking especially about a thicker pad and a pad and legs that don't stretch too much, just stay put?

Thanks in advance!

GJ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

boysa

by boysa

Along the lines of lots of compression and a thicker pad are DeSoto 400-mile bibshorts. I like them for the two reasons you mention. Lately I've tried out a few X-Bionic models, and while I think they are the best shorts I've ever worn in hot/humid conditions, they lack the level of compression I'd prefer.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

Herb5998

by Herb5998

The S2s are my favorite as well, but haven't found anything as good. I will say the Rapha Classic bib pad is great, but the compression is lacking compared to the S2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

Yeah the Rapha pad is ok but legs have very little compression and are too stretchy. Everything just moves around far too much with my Rapha bib shorts.

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

Thanks Boysa, I'll look into the Desoto.

Looking at their web site they say that the legs are shorter than standard.... not sure I like the sound of that, don't want the Tommy V look. How does the length compare with, say, Castelli?

boysa

by boysa

Ha! The length is one of the main reasons I like the DeSoto! They are more in line with what I would call normal length, that is, not the excessively long legs which seem to have come into vogue. They fit me very well, but of course we are all built differently.

I say typical pro-length, not the Lance and not the Tommy V. Somewhere in between.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

jeffy

by jeffy

For what it is worth the Rapha Pro Team are much more compressive and tighter fitting than the Classic and i find the chamois (of PT) from a padding and positional perspective very comparable to the Assos S5.

jekyll man

by jekyll man

I was smart and bought half a dozen pairs from the factory outlet after they rediscovered 10000 of the old inserts 8)

Best shorts they ever made i think, its a pity they changed to "US fit", and used that giant blue nappy :roll:

Closest fit wise i've used are the frc Giordana
Official cafe stop tester

kgt

by kgt

I suggest you try Giordana FRC series with Cirro OmniForm chamois like:

http://www.giordanacycling.com/men/summ ... -bib-short

Westbank

by Westbank

The Rapha Pro Team has almost the same CyTech chamois as the old Assos S2. I also prefer the fabric of the Rapha (more compression and slightly longer).

Vagabond

by Vagabond

I can't recommend another brand but you really should try the newer floating design. I was skeptical at first but they are definitely the most comfortable Assos bib shorts I've worn. And that's saying something. I also have several of the older orange pads in knickers and that is a great pad. Let us know what you try and what you think.
Colnago e Campagnolo

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I'll second the thumbs up on the most current Assos models with the "floating" chamois as Vagabond describes above.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KarlC

by KarlC

boysa wrote:Along the lines of lots of compression and a thicker pad are DeSoto 400-mile bibshorts. I like them for the two reasons you mention. Lately I've tried out a few X-Bionic models, and while I think they are the best shorts I've ever worn in hot/humid conditions, they lack the level of compression I'd prefer.

DeSoto is very close to my house, but I had never tried them, recently they where having a big sale so I stopped by. I got to try on all their stuff, meet Mr DeSoto, his Wife and his team, I will say I was very impressed. Great products and 1st rate customer experience, also if for any reason you do not like what you buy you can return it for a full refund.

I ended up with 2 sets of bibs ....

Carrera - These fit me great in size Medium, I'm very happy with them.

400-Mile - I tried these in side Medium also but I was not used to the all over compression these have. It feels like a bit of pressure all over, I was afraid I would not like this on a long ride so I bought a size Large. So far these are also working out great also.

Pad info - Patent Pending Integrated 400-Mile Ceramico™ 14 mm Pad.This pad floats and stretches which means it can be used as a race piece in a triathlon. On the bike, the pad stretches with the short and follows your skin as it moves with every pedal stroke, eliminating the friction that can cause irritation or rashes.
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12