ALE cycling clothing

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

Anyone have any experience with their stuff- sizing, quality, etc?

https://www.alebikewear.com/
Speedplay is the devil!

micky

by micky

My ex team used their clothing for 2 seasons and the summer line was top quality (especially jersey).
Winter line is soso, especially thights/long bibs.

The brand used to be called Giordana but recently they parted away.
The do dress Etixx and Lotto from long time.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

calvin

by calvin

micky wrote:My ex team used their clothing for 2 seasons and the summer line was top quality (especially jersey).
Winter line is soso, especially thights/long bibs.

The brand used to be called Giordana but recently they parted away.
The do dress Etixx and Lotto from long time.

You are saying that Ale and Vermarc is the same company? As far as i know Etix and Lotto are riding with Vermarc for many seasons
FXKalvis15 code at @montonsports

micky

by micky

Ale (the old Giordana) is making the clothing for the pro teams which are sponsored by Vermac.
This is happening since ages.

Ale and Vermac are not the same company, only the clothing for the pro riders are made by Ale.
It's something that happens often also in other pro teams with other clothing companies.

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

any idea how the sizing compares to castelli, santini or louis garneau?
Speedplay is the devil!

liam7020

by liam7020

Giordana used to supply my club clothing - nice kit, good race fit. The ALE kit looks very tasty, pity about the English translation....
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

kgt

by kgt

Ale is practically Giordana - which still exists btw. Designs, details, materials etc. are similar if not exactly the same (depending on the model).

example:

I am a great fan of Giordana. IMO their top series (frc and higher) are the best clothes in terms of quality and technology at their price range.

ManekiNico

by ManekiNico

I have a PRR Bermuda short sleeve jersey. Quality of materials is superior. Fit is typically Italian (read, small). On me (173cm, 72kg), a size L jersey is second-skin tight. I feel I could easily have gone up to XL.

For comparison, I usually wear size M in Craft, size L in Castelli.
Mom: He was very sickly until he started riding around on that bicycle.
Dad: Yeah... well... now his body’s fine, but his mind is gone.

micky

by micky

@kgt, Giordana recently parted away from Ale.
I have many common friends with the manager Alessia Piccolo and some guys who works inside Ale/Cipollini so I happen to hear often about that company news.

@ManekNico, Im 174 and 64kg (sadly) and I used to wear a Small for PRR jersey (to be fair I tried a Medium as well and the difference was minor).

kgt

by kgt

Sure, I agree, I have also heard that from the greek Ale dealer. So what used to be one company is now divided in two companies that still share something (factories, materials..?). That is why one can still find the same jerseys under different brands.

Giordana still exists as a company btw (http://www.giordanacycling.com/).

mentok

by mentok

fwiw, i still have 4 or 5 giordana bibs that I've been using for at least 7 years. They're too threadbare around the lower back and upper arse to be worn outside, but they're otherwise fine. If the ale stuff is made to the same spec then i'd be interested.

spud

by spud

Ale and Giordana are not the same company. Ale used to manufacture for Giordana, but no more. There was quite a dramatic parting of the ways.

I'm about 185 cm and 180 lbs. I wear large, and am very happy with the fit, materials etc. Same fit as Giordana.

kgt

by kgt

So, do Alé and Giordana share anything or not? Are we talking about two distinct factories in Italy? Who manufactures for Giordana?
It seems that in their ss16 collection they still share some of their clothes that's why I am asking, out of curiosity.

ms6073

by ms6073

kgt wrote:Who manufactures for Giordana?

Probably the same place as most of the other top shelf clothing companies, some place where employees are expected to work very long hours, every day of the week, for extremely low wages!
Last edited by ms6073 on Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgt

by kgt

Sorry but that's wrong... Giordana (as Alé) is made in Italy, we already know that.

And, please, Croatia is neither Malaysia not 3rd world...