Good 4 Bike Rack for High End Carbon bikes?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

CanadianBiker

by CanadianBiker

I'm looking for a good bike rack for the car that won't damage my new bikes, the store recommends I get The Saris Freedom Super Clamp bike rack, I wanted to know if anyone has any experience with it or any other recommendations, I have a 2' hitch on my truck and can fit almost any rack.

Thank you for your feedback and recommendations.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Kuat or Thule t2

mimason

by mimason

CanadianBiker wrote:I'm looking for a good bike rack for the car that won't damage my new bikes, the store recommends I get The Saris Freedom Super Clamp bike rack, I wanted to know if anyone has any experience with it or any other recommendations, I have a 2' hitch on my truck and can fit almost any rack.

Thank you for your feedback and recommendations.

Previous owner of a Thule and currently Saris owner. I liked the Thule better but i would check out Kuat.

CanadianBiker

by CanadianBiker

If I understand it is much better to get a platform based bike rack then a hanging bike rack, is that correct?

nohands

by nohands

Get a KUAT NV. You won't regret it.

I've had mine for almost a year now and it's really great. I've driven with it during high winds, no winds, etc. and haven't had any issues. An added bonus is it has an integrated repair stand - just in case you need to fix something.

The front is held by a wheel clamp and the rear with a ratcheting strap(plastic). if you have deep wheels there may be an issue ( I run 45mm rims no problem).

CanadianBiker

by CanadianBiker

nohands wrote:Get a KUAT NV. You won't regret it.

I've had mine for almost a year now and it's really great. I've driven with it during high winds, no winds, etc. and haven't had any issues. An added bonus is it has an integrated repair stand - just in case you need to fix something.

The front is held by a wheel clamp and the rear with a ratcheting strap(plastic). if you have deep wheels there may be an issue ( I run 45mm rims no problem).

I'm a bit worried about this as my back wheel is an Aeolus 7 and the front wheel is an Aeolus 5. I will see if I can find a local dealer in Montreal.

mimason

by mimason

CanadianBiker wrote:If I understand it is much better to get a platform based bike rack then a hanging bike rack, is that correct?

You want a rack that does not touch the frame but rather secures at the wheels. The Kuat is cool because it is overbuilt and also can dual as a workstand.

nohands

by nohands

CanadianBiker wrote:I'm a bit worried about this as my back wheel is an Aeolus 7 and the front wheel is an Aeolus 5. I will see if I can find a local dealer in Montreal.

Perhaps you could flip the bike? I'm pretty sure the rear strap can handle the Aeolus 5.

EvilEuro

by EvilEuro

+1 on the Kuat.

Another feature that hasn't been mentioned, at least on the NV, is the integrated cable lock. Gives a nice peace of mind when you stop someplace on the road to where you're going that you won't come back to the car and find yourself minus your bike.

WannabeWeenie

by WannabeWeenie

Similar to the Kuat NV is the Yakima Holdup. Pretty much the same features as the Kuat with integrated cable lock, bolt to secure the rack in the hitch so it doesn't rattle, expandable to 4 bikes, etc etc. It has a cheeky little bottle opener built in though. Strap for rear wheel works fine over my Hed Jet 6s. This may be an option for you if you do not have a Kuat dealer nearby.
Last edited by WannabeWeenie on Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dj97223

by dj97223

If you want a hitch rack, I recommend the Saris Freedomclamp. It doesn't touch frame parts, holds the tires very securely, loads quickly and has an integrated lock. It is expensive, but cheaper than having your frame repainted.

I should add that I've tried different racks. I had a Thule roof rack that clamped the front fork. It worked pretty well but I was always afraid of the bikes coming loose and, with a taller car, it was difficult to reach. I also had a Softride hitch rack; with different frame shapes (kids' bikes, wife's bike, my bike), it took forever to load so bikes wouldn't rub each other. No such problem with the Saris; this alone was worth the extra dough. It is heavy, but my wife can raise it and lower it fully loaded.
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

The Thule T2 is a good choice. I've had one for years, at least 5 and have been happy with it. Then a number of my friends started buying racks from One Up (http://1upusa.com/). I liked it and got one, and I prefer it to the Thule. Instead of an arm and a rear wheel strap holder, it has two folding arms. The rack trays rotate and fold so that the rack is very compact when stored, which I really like. It's very well made in the USA; it has an industrial machine shop quality. It's also modular, so you can attach additional carriers. It's super easy to mount in the hitch, easier than the T2, though I understand the new T2 has a new way to secure to the hitch that Thule says it a lot easier than the old T2.

In fact I like it so much I have both the single bike rack and the double, plus add on racks, so I can carry from 1 to 4 bikes easily. The advantage of the single rack is that it's relatively light when taking on and off. When I'm not carrying a bike but still have it in the hitch, the tray folds up and I still have room to open the trunk on my SUV unimpeded.

Since it only touches the tires, it doesn't matter which wheels you have or how deep the rim profile is.

On the down side, it doesn't have a built in lock or repair stand. It's a bike rack, and I carry a cable lock if I want to lock the bikes.

Anyways, the hitch mount style is the way to go and most of the major brands all have good quality designs, including Thule, Kuat, and Yakima. The 1Up is a lesser known brand that I've been very happy with; check it out.
Last edited by eaglejackson on Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

commendatore

by commendatore

+1 on the 1upusa. I leave a single on my wife's car 24/7 so that she can always open the hatch and I can add additional trays in seconds.

No frame or fork contact, it touches tire only which is an improvement on my Thule T2 style roof trays. At some point I'll be replacing those with 1up trays as well.

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

We have the Yakima Holdup and it's been across the NE. ENVE wheels go in the car and cheap alloys go on for the trip while on the rack. Short trips in the city I leave the 6.7s on and the rear straps fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Focus Izalco Max - 4.84kg without pedals
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg
Trek Madone SLR Rim - 7.73kg
Standert Triebwerk Disc - 8.47kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Your Aeolus 7's should work with not problem on the KUAT. I have 404's which are only 12mm less than the 7's and there's no lack of strap when securing the rear wheel.