Cheap chain wear indicators - accurate?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

Does anyone know if the cheapest chain wear indicators from eBay are accurate enough? Or should I get one from Park Tool?

duvivr6

by duvivr6

The park tool one cheap enough, how much are you saving by getting the eBay version?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

Not really that much. The cheapest ones costs around 1.5 USD, Shipping included. But I have to order one anyways, and shipping from Hong Kong is usually really fast.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

It's not that complicated of a device, really. The cheap ones are accurate enough.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

Thanks. I ordered a really cheap one. Also, does anyone know of a cheap, good chain splitter that actually works? The ones I've currently got are seriously under-dimensioned. Handles are waaay to short to get enough momentum to push out the pin, plus they actually bend. I've only used them on 1/8" SS chains though, which might maybe require a bit more force to remove the pin than on narrow 11 speed chains? Because of the larger contact area between pin and race I mean.

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

Why don't you just spend more for a tool that works well and will last forever? Something something about shoes....

Haydn

by Haydn

There are certain tools i don't mind buying cheap examples of but I've never found a decent cheap chain tool.

nickf

by nickf

I dunno those things never seem to work. The narrow side of the park beam type checker just barely fit into my chain. Changed the chain and the new chain wouldn't hold one of the gears on the cassette. Both chain and cassette were installed new together originally. I guess i used the one sprocket to often. So old chain went back on and will ride it out till the bitter end.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Using Tapatalk

sovereign

by sovereign

I prefer a digital caliper.

mjainoz

by mjainoz

I did a bit of research into this a while back. Ended up throwing all my cheap ones out and bought the shimano one. The piece I read was pretty clear on the failings of most.

I don't know if this was the article. Gotta dash now but it was a good read from memory.
velonews.competitor.com/2015/12/bikes-and-tech/technical-faq/technical-faq-chain-wear-measurement_390085
Using Tapatalk

martinko

by martinko

A vernier caliper is fine. May be more expensive, but surely not just a tool for bike.

djconnel

by djconnel

You did say cheap...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fogman

by fogman

Even a more expensive chain wear indicator is inaccurate, especially on Campy chains. I use calipers to measure. After a few chain/cassette replacements I have determined that it is best to replace my chain every 1200 miles or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fordred

by fordred

1200 miles. Is that like every 1 to 2 months?

Quote has been deleted. Not necessary when responding.