Cheap chain wear indicators - accurate?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

fogman

by fogman

@Calnago. I keep track of the mileage of my chains and other components in the component/gear section of Strava (web version). The phone app does not display this information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Training Peaks has a similar thing I suppose (I don't use Strava) which allows you to track your various parts etc. I suppose I just can't be bothered. Having multiple bikes, multiple wheels, and even loose cranksets and cassettes that I can swap between all those bikes and wheels would make tracking each component by mileage quite an arduous task, when all I wanted to do was ride my bike. I figure it's a quick check to see if a chain is worn, which I will do when shifting becomes not as crisp as it should be. If it's worse after a new chain is installed then that's the telltale sign that the cassette needs replacing as well. And so it goes.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Rick

by Rick

I use the Park gage. When it gets to .5% stretch I make sure I have another chain ready to go.
I replace it when I can detect it is over .75% stretch. 1% stretch seems to be the "rule of thumb" for time to definitely replace.

But I think that agonizing too much over chain stretch "accuracy" is really a fools errand, since the wear is gradually continuous and there is no real hard and fast point at which you need to change it. It is all about making the mating components last as long as possible.

So does it really matter if you let it go to .81% stretch when you "should" have changed it a .75% ? I don't think so. The point is just don't let it get over 1%, which can be eyeballed with a ruler.

Or, be conservative and change it earlier, like me. It is very convenient to have a Park style gage, even if there is some theoretical "inaccuracy" to the method.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Totally agree with @Rick above. Absolute accuracy of how far it's stretched or worn or whatever you want to call it is pointless. Like I mentioned, when I can get the 0.5 indicator on the Park gauge I know it's already at the point that Campagnolo would recommend replacement. The 0.75 mark would be my absolute max at when I replace the chain. But most importantly, I can tell by the poorer shift quality when it's time to start checking for chain wear.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

mattr

by mattr

Rick wrote:It is very convenient to have a Park style gauge, even if there is some theoretical "inaccuracy" to the method.
It's not a theoretical inaccuracy, it's a very real (and annoying) one.

Saying that, i have a park tool which gets dropped onto any bike as soon as i stick it up on the workstand for anything, even none driveline stuff. Or when the bike gets cleaned, or if i just feel like it.
If it's reading a bit high, i get the steel rule and double check properly, if its ok, i don't bother. The bike can do another couple of hundred miles before i'll check again.
I'll probably use the park tool 3 or 4 times per chain before the steel rule comes out.
So it's useful as a handy little thing, that's easy to use and convenient to have in the top of your tool box. It's certainly not an actual "gauge" except in the very loosest sense of the word.

FWIW i've actually had a brand new chain (under 20 miles gentle road use) show over .5 wear on the park tool...... think it was just an issue with tolerances on the rollers, as it's now done about 1000 miles, park tool tops out, has done since last autumn, steel rule measurement shows I need to buy a new chain within the next couple of weeks. Cassette should be fine.