Upgrade existing or buy new?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Ajstephe

by Ajstephe

So I have found myself in a position where I have saved up a bit of money and as summer is around the corner I'm toying with the idea of either upgrading my existing bike or buying a new one.

My current bike is a BMC Teammachine SLR02 (105). It is an ex rental bike that I got last year. It is as yet unmolested and weighing in at nearly 8.5kg.

I'm quite interested in a Trek bike and am hoping to go and look at the Trek Madone 9.2/Domane slr and work out which one would be best suited.

So the quandary is do I upgrade the tyres/wheelset and upgrade to an electronic groupset (I'd like to have the new SRAM Etap or Ultra di2)? Or do I hold fire and invest in a new shiny bike?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ajstephe

by Ajstephe

The fit is good on my BMC is good. However I can always be swayed by smooth marketing and bling factor especially if the geometries are very similar. I'll have to get the data out to compare but before I do decide, I will definitely look to test ride them.