From Castello to Rapha?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

kgt wrote:or Santini. Much better quality and materials at normal prices.

The same Santini that did three kit orders and gave us three different sized jerseys - when the order was precisely the same all three times.

And that's after losing a shipment - and all were months behind schedule. And cost the same as Sportful. Quality? Mmm...no.

But manufacturing aside, I'd still have Sportful over Santini for basic bibs. As noted, their winter gear is excellen - my Sportful winter jacket is crazily warm. Castelli also terrific in this regard.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

uraqt

by uraqt

While like my Sportful Super Total Comfort Bib Shorts, the Total Comfort Chamois, is not sealed around the edge and the edge of the padding is very stiff almost plastic like and it killed me one ride...

I email Sportful as they were less than one year old and they never respond back... : (

C

rossjm11

by rossjm11

The Rapha Pro Team shorts I have are amazing so far. Clearly the higher quality of the two, but I have no comment on durability yet.
BMC SLR01 2015
Redline Conquest Team

kgt

by kgt

Tinea Pedis wrote:
kgt wrote:or Santini. Much better quality and materials at normal prices.

The same Santini that did three kit orders and gave us three different sized jerseys - when the order was precisely the same all three times.
And that's after losing a shipment - and all were months behind schedule. And cost the same as Sportful. Quality? Mmm...no.
But manufacturing aside, I'd still have Sportful over Santini for basic bibs. As noted, their winter gear is excellen - my Sportful winter jacket is crazily warm. Castelli also terrific in this regard.

I don't know about you order but in terms of quality hi-end bibs and shorts from Santini are of the highest quality, much more durable than Sportful IME. Low end stuff is nothing special, still slightly better than Sportful. Santini is made in Italy and that alone is a plus.

djm

by djm

jimaizumi

by jimaizumi

PLuKE wrote:
jimaizumi wrote:In a conversation with a Rapha rep last summer, the padding apparently is the same across the Pro-team/Lightweight/Classic bib's. The major difference is 1) The spandex material used across the three and 2) the positioning of the pads where the Pro-team positions the pads towards the front to accommodate frequent riding on the drops whilst the LW and classic are meant for increased riding on a more upright fashion, ie he hoods.

This is interesting. I ride on the hoods most, and the drops. Which makes me think, maybe I should of gone for Pro Team? there £40/$55 more.

Thanks
Luke

In all honesty, I really can't feel anything noticeably different btw the Lightweight and Proteam bibs. I usually do a fair share of riding on the hoods and into the drops and both feel the same. One thing is for sure, the materials are much more fragile on the LW as one year of use has already resulted in some piling on the inner thigh area due tonsaddle rub. Another point of concern (for all you OCD riders) is the transparent "Rapha" logo on the side of the bib's have already began to peel. If I were to choose only one within the Rapha lineup, it woiud most definitely be the pro-team.

of course, on any given occassion with any other brand, this would be a point of concern at the point of purchase. Howevwr, Rapha has been awfully meticulous in servicing and would likely repair or reolace the bibs should they become unusable.
THE PAST: 2005 C'dale R700, 2006 Spesh S-Works Tarmac Gerolsteiner, 2009 Pinarello Dogma FPX My Way, 2011 Time RXR VIP

THE PRESENT: 2016 Colnago C60 ST01, 2017 Wilier Cento 10 Ramato, Cinelli Gazetta

THE FUTURE: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

kgt wrote:Santini is made in Italy and that alone is a plus.

Your bias really knows no bounds.

kgt

by kgt

For me made in Italy is important. For you it isn't. That's fine. What's your problem really...?

Rodrego Hernandez

by Rodrego Hernandez

Tinea Pedis wrote:
kgt wrote:Santini is made in Italy and that alone is a plus.

Your bias really knows no bounds.

Santini was good in the 90s and unfortunately haven't really changed since then. Their graphics and colours are too outdated.

All Italian manufacturers seem to have quality / sizing / delivery issues but if you're lucky you'll get some great kit.

It's a shame Assos don't do custom kits.

Castelli / Sportful are OK but quality wise I thing Sportful win which is weird as they are made in the same factory!

kode54

by kode54

even though i have Rapha jerseys and some jackets, i still like the Assos bib shorts and newer S7 bibs and tights. must be my sit bones but the Rapha bibs didn't feel as comfortable as the Assos. so no match. the Assos jackets and jerseys have great technical fabrics and are made very well...but i never cared for the outlandish graphics.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

kgt

by kgt

Rodrego Hernandez wrote:Santini was good in the 90s and unfortunately haven't really changed since then. Their graphics and colours are too outdated.
All Italian manufacturers seem to have quality / sizing / delivery issues but if you're lucky you'll get some great kit.

Santini outdated? Have you seen their last bib shorts (like RACER or PHOTON) and jerseys (like SLEEK).

And I can't see what kind of issues "all Italian manufacturers" have. Giordana, Ale, Santini... Their hi-end clothes are amazing, as good as it gets.

PLuKE

by PLuKE

My Rapha it came. Is it worth the price tag? the bibs, almost, there lovely to the touch, and the pad! wow, compared to my X2 pad its miles better, thicker, contouring to my bum and saddle and no pucking up.

The jersey again, great fit, feels great to the touch, but not really worth the price tag IMO.

Most of all riding felt great, the comfort and the cut and that it was Rapha made it all :lol:

Thanks for your advice!

Luke

jimaizumi

by jimaizumi

PLuKE wrote:My Rapha it came. Is it worth the price tag? the bibs, almost, there lovely to the touch, and the pad! wow, compared to my X2 pad its miles better, thicker, contouring to my bum and saddle and no pucking up.

The jersey again, great fit, feels great to the touch, but not really worth the price tag IMO.

Most of all riding felt great, the comfort and the cut and that it was Rapha made it all :lol:

Thanks for your advice!

Luke

Great to hear that you got your gear and love it. FWIW, get on their newsletters for promotions and discounts. You can pretty much be guaranteed a 15% coupon right before any major race where SKY is making an appearance. End of season sales are also a bargain where many items can get up to 30-50% off but tend to sell out fast.
THE PAST: 2005 C'dale R700, 2006 Spesh S-Works Tarmac Gerolsteiner, 2009 Pinarello Dogma FPX My Way, 2011 Time RXR VIP

THE PRESENT: 2016 Colnago C60 ST01, 2017 Wilier Cento 10 Ramato, Cinelli Gazetta

THE FUTURE: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

sholiday

by sholiday

Assos is the best cycling clothing brand out there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Parlee Z3 4.94kg: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=101920
Wilier Cento Uno SL 5.52kg: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=101957

Rodrego Hernandez

by Rodrego Hernandez

sholiday wrote:Assos is the best cycling clothing brand out there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Used to be. Seems to have lost its way a little since it was bought out. In the UK especially, they have dropped their long standing distributor and gone direct. The after sales isn't as good as it used to be. they sponsor that hoax guy who pretended to have various long distance records and bailed on the year long record after 2 months. just about sums them up at the moment.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com