OMATA Cycle Computers

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Devon

by Devon

Anyone seen these yet? They look beautiful. They're being released on Kickstarter next month.

OMATA wrote:We believe everything about your bike should be as pure, inspiring and beautiful as the ride itself. That’s why we are building the world’s first analogue GPS bike speedometer.

On the inside, it tracks everything with the same high level of precision that the best cycling computers do, which means all your KOMs can still make it to STRAVA.

On the outside, it’s not only beautifully crafted, it shows the stuff that really matters out there: speed, distance, ascent and duration.

I guess this would be great unless you have a particular need for HR or Cadence whilst racing/training...

http://www.omata.com/
https://www.instagram.com/omata_la/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fh8425

by fh8425

this is nice .. any indication on price ?

Bely

by Bely

Yea seen it... Very interested!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current
Festka Scala | Pego Respo | English V3 | Colnago EPS Erik Zabel | Colnago V4rs

Incoming

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

That looks great. I very refreshing design approach. I would be interested to know prices and weights compared to Garmin's offerings

LouisN

by LouisN

This thing needs a Watt-o-meter.

Louis :)

kgt

by kgt

I like it but it looks like its display capabilities are limited (no heart rate, calories, watts ?)

kode54

by kode54

i like the simplicity. and these days...i don't use a PM or need any HR info nor calories. perfect. back to an analog dial. i like it.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

mattr

by mattr

kgt wrote:I like it but it looks like its display capabilities are limited (no heart rate, calories, watts ?)
As long as it's tracking and recording the data, it shouldn't be a major problem. Just upload after your ride.

Not so much use as a training aid, but for just riding (or racing?) it's probably not that bad.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

(I believe) It's been shown in a few studies that athletes actually perform better during competition when they are not able to see the numbers monitoring their data. You can pay attention to the data after your ride anyway.

These pieces are wonderful in concept! I subscribed to their mail list. That said, I'm interested in weights and battery life. I'm guessing since there isn't a screen the battery life will be longer? How does one know when the satellite connections are locked in?
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

tmr5555

by tmr5555

It should have fitted into the top cap...

kgt

by kgt

It should be smaller in any case. It looks beautiful but it's huge... Cool design, nice instagram photos but nothing innovative IMO.

LloydP

by LloydP

Like the idea and the chronograph-esque look. Not sold on the size, but I guess there's a balance to be struck between looking tidy and being legible at a glance at speed. Unfortunately, I fully expect the price to be higher than I could justify to just have a go with on a whim.

eurperg

by eurperg

I think a Garmin Fenix 3 in your wrist is an even more stylish bike computer. I just dont like to have anything attached to the bars... It's also a PITA when you have six bikes.

uraqt

by uraqt

wow eurperg

I thought I was the only one !!! I on an old 910 until Garmin get the built in optical HR fixed ... : )

C

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wojchiech

by wojchiech

they look pretty nice, but some display metrics dont make since to me. like the distance, time, & elevation displays (what happens if you ride more than 100km/12hrs/10000m?). Seems like a simple odometer style ticker would have worked better for those and taken up less visual space - and probably made the unit smaller.