Merino wool base layers

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

nickcube

by nickcube

Looking at getting a new base layer soon and I was just wondering what the rough temperature bracket is for these with just a normal jersey on top. I live in Melbourne so the lowest temperatures I'll face will be around 5ºC if I ride in the mornings. Will a merino base keep me comfy in the mid teens with just a jersey over the top? The two I've narrowed it down to is either the Rapha or Isodore base, cheers!

wingguy

by wingguy

Depends if you sweat, really. Merino is fantastic as an outdoors/expedition/endurance clothing material because it's comfortable and you can wear it day after day after day without washing it with minimal effect.

OTOH it's not really a very good material for single use and intense efforts - it holds much, much, much more water than a good synthetic and doesn't wick anywhere near as well. Not great if you beast it on a climb then have a high windchill factor on the way down.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Fiery

by Fiery

In my experience, merino is not that much warmer than a good polyester base layer (not the summer mesh type). Merino is good for staying comfortable in variable weather and for multi-day tours when you can't wash the clothes every day.

So, if you aren't warm enough with a synthetic base layer, I don't think going with merino will make much of a difference.

mig

by mig

try labgear!!

boysa

by boysa

I've always been a huge fan of Icebreaker merino. I have several of their pieces, both baselayer and outerwear, and I never go anywhere without them. Best travel gear ever because you can wear it virtually everyday. I also find the baselayer pieces regulate temperature well, and actually began using them in NorCal where it's common to see huge temperature swings over the course of a ride.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

bikerector

by bikerector

I would wear a merino wool to about 18-20C max with a regular jersey. I sweat like crazy so the merino gets saturated and I like something more breathable at that point. I feel like merino stays warm much better than synthetic when it gets wet so I really like it at the lower temps and really in the winter where I'm wearing a lot more clothing that doesn't breath as well as lightweight clothes.

I think 5-15C is probably the sweet spot for a merino, wind jersey on the low end and jersey with light arm warmers on the upper end.

The rapha merino mesh seems like an interesting piece of garb but I never wanted to pony up the money for it. I'm using ibex and have tried smartwool.

Bogan

by Bogan

I live in Melbourne as well. I use some merino base layers I got from Wiggle, their house brand DHB. They're great in winter in Melb under a jersey.
MAMIL? Never. O.F.I.L. yeh! (Old F**ker in Lycra)

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Isadore.
Best merino base layers I have tried.
Get the bundle of all three - tank, SS and LS.
I wear merino bases with a jersey up to a little above 20 C.

CBJ

by CBJ

I agree the wool sucks up more water but for me it still keeps me more comfortable and warmer than synthetic. As Endura writes thier wool has high warmth to weight ratio even when wet. Far from all merino is created the same. I have tried 3 different manufactures this year and especially Rapha was disappointing. The softness was gone right away, little stretch and got wrinkled too. The stuff from Endura and Smartwool is much better especially the BaaBaa from Endura is really silky soft as promised.

uraqt

by uraqt

@CBJ

Thanks for the data.. I was/am using swobo base layers and just got a Rapha one and it's much softer and lighter I was thinking that is had to one of the best... But I will give Endure a try...

c

CBJ

by CBJ

I also purchased Rapha wool socks and ended up returning them and got Smartwool socks same experience. Rapha looks great but material quality not good or at least not matching premium pricing. Comfort and quality much better on the Smartwool socks and they have held up well during wash and wear too and make for some very comfortable commutes to work this winter :)

nickcube

by nickcube

Cheers for all the replies, I think I might go get the Isadore base layer off wiggle since I'm about to put an order in, two left in small! The rest of the brands seem pretty good quality but I know it's often a pain to get the into down under, especially with shipping costs. Surprised to hear about the thoughts on the rapha base layer (not the mesh one) since a lot of other reviews point towards it as the golden standard. i'll be doing some hiking later in the year so it'll come in handy there if this it doesn't work on the bike

uraqt

by uraqt

I tried Smartwool socks but they didn't hold up... I am married to defeet woolly boolie........

C

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com