Cyclist killed in crash while descending Hawthorne Blvd

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

lrdunc

by lrdunc

MoPho -

As many times as I've done that descent, I couldn't remember when posting this that there isn't a bike lane at that particular stretch of road. Thinking about it now, there isn't a bike lane really from Vallon all the way down to PV Drive West, huh? I guess it just never occurred to me as I always take the lane.

Crazy story about your friend who blew the tire and went down. Hope he was alright. I can imagine that happening - I think I came as close as I could to having that happen to me one time when I was descending Tuna Canyon Road to PCH. It was not a good feeling.

Are you Big Orange? I always see lots of Big Orange guys on the various group rides (Donut, etc.) when I ride PV on weekend mornings.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MoPho

by MoPho

lrdunc wrote:MoPho -

As many times as I've done that descent, I couldn't remember when posting this that there isn't a bike lane at that particular stretch of road. Thinking about it now, there isn't a bike lane really from Vallon all the way down to PV Drive West, huh? I guess it just never occurred to me as I always take the lane.

Crazy story about your friend who blew the tire and went down. Hope he was alright. I can imagine that happening - I think I came as close as I could to having that happen to me one time when I was descending Tuna Canyon Road to PCH. It was not a good feeling.

Are you Big Orange? I always see lots of Big Orange guys on the various group rides (Donut, etc.) when I ride PV on weekend mornings.

It's been a while, but I believe the bike lane starts right after Vallon and goes down to PV W. It's strange that there is no lane prior to that.

Yes, on Big Orange, but I am more of a satellite member now, had to move to NorCal but still ride down in LA when I can.

Other rider just had some minor road rash, he had slowed a lot by then.

glepore

by glepore

I'm in the legal profession and with a firm that represents cyclists. Regardless of who ultimately has the "right of way", particularly in the case of a wide shoulder or bikelane, drivers are for the most part oblivious. Passing a line of stopped cars is an invitation to have someone left turn you as you zip through an intersection. You'll be in the right, and you'll get compensated, but it'll likely be from your sickbed. Same thing with passing moving vehicles on the right. Do you, when you drive, ALWAYS check your rightside mirror before you turn right? Of course not. A truck is likely from out of town, and may not even be aware of a marked bike lane.

I'm not being critical of the rider here, per se, and its certainly a tragedy when anyone is injured, but I'm just saying that being in the right and coming home in one piece aren't always parallel. Ride like they're trying to kill ya.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record