Anyone using the Garmin Edge 25?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

Afternoon all
I'm thinking of getting a Garmin Edge 25 but would be interested to hear the opinions of people who own/use them regularly. It will be my first Garmin and will be replacing my current Cateye Strada Slim computer. I've seen the videos on YouTube etc and it seems good and will do what I want it to.
What are people's experiences with this unit? Do you ever wish you'd gone for a larger model?
I have also considered the 520 as I'm sure it would be easier to follow routes on the larger device.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

I love mine. It's my 3rd "small Garmin". The 200 was too inaccurate, especially in the woods, so a rep told me to get the new GLONAS equipped 20 or 25. I don't need connectivity to power meters or heart rate monitors so I got the 20 but then realized the ability to upload rides to my phone would be nice so I got the bluetooth equipped 25.
My only criticism is that it's still not as accurate as I'd like for MTB. My Samsung Note 3 lays a more accurate track on twisty trails while the Garmin sometimes cuts off turns.

commendatore

by commendatore

Can you set it to 1 second recording? That may help with your accuracy issue.

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

I've looked through all the menus and the only setting that seemed like it would have any effect on accuracy was GLONAS on/off.

Devon

by Devon

Lelandjt wrote:I love mine. It's my 3rd "small Garmin". The 200 was too inaccurate, especially in the woods, so a rep told me to get the new GLONAS equipped 20 or 25. I don't need connectivity to power meters or heart rate monitors so I got the 20 but then realized the ability to upload rides to my phone would be nice so I got the bluetooth equipped 25.
My only criticism is that it's still not as accurate as I'd like for MTB. My Samsung Note 3 lays a more accurate track on twisty trails while the Garmin sometimes cuts off turns.

Interesting point. I've been having similar issues with my 500. Are there any views or figures for accuracy comparing the 25 and 500? I have real issues with navigation when using mine, even on open roads.

EDIT: I just looked up GLONASS on the Garmin support website - it's listed for the 20 and 25, but not the 200 or 500. This suggests that the two older models will use the same system, and therefore be of similar accuracy. Are you finding the 25 better than your 200?

dolophonic

by dolophonic

I found the big issue for me was you have to go thru garmin connect to create routes ..
Might not be an issue for some but i use ridewithgps to create routes and its not possible to connect the two.
In addition you have to have wifi connection to get to garmin connect and there are still plenty of times that wifi is unavailable.

Devon

by Devon

You can't transfer a .tcx route from ridewithgps as you do with the 200/500?

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

Devon wrote:
Lelandjt wrote:I love mine. It's my 3rd "small Garmin". The 200 was too inaccurate, especially in the woods, so a rep told me to get the new GLONAS equipped 20 or 25. I don't need connectivity to power meters or heart rate monitors so I got the 20 but then realized the ability to upload rides to my phone would be nice so I got the bluetooth equipped 25.

Interesting point. I've been having similar issues with my 500. Are there any views or figures for accuracy comparing the 25 and 500? I have real issues with navigation when using mine, even on open roads.

EDIT: I just looked up GLONASS on the Garmin support website - it's listed for the 20 and 25, but not the 200 or 500. This suggests that the two older models will use the same system, and therefore be of similar accuracy. Are you finding the 25 better than your 200?

Yes, the accuracy of the 20 and 25 is better than the 200, especially in tree cover. I don't know what GLONAS is but the rep at Interbike specifically said it made a difference when buildings and tree are an issue. The critique that my Note 3 is still more accurate is just nitpicking cuz it's a minor difference on trails and wouldn't be noticed on the road.

Devon

by Devon

My issues on the road are with navigation - i.e following a pre-set route. It gets lost ALL THE TIME. it'll say I'm on course a good 500m after I miss a turning before telling me I missed it.

jimborello

by jimborello

I had it for 2 weeks before changing to a 520. I believe the 520 is the perfect size, the edge 25 is too small and the 1000 too big.

dolophonic

by dolophonic

Devon wrote:You can't transfer a .tcx route from ridewithgps as you do with the 200/500?

No and that is an issue ..

Devon

by Devon

That's a killer for me, definitely.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com