Garmin 810 Screen Protector; possible dumb question

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

Hi

I have a Garmin 810 which I have had for 3 years.

It is fine, apart from the clear adhesive screen protector that covers the entire screen, that it came with. This has become scuffed, scratched slightly, and worn at the edges where I am constantly swiping it left and right. I picked at the corner of this, and lifted it slightly to see if it was definitely an adhesive vinyl sheet like you put on smart phones, and it was.

I see on Amazon you can buy new screen protectors from third party vendors (Garmin don't seem to offer these as spares, unless I am mistaken).

So the question is...

Can I just peel this scuffed up original one off, and put a new, third party one on and get the same performance as the one Garmin install as stock, or are these third part screen protectors designed to be put on over this original Garmin screen protector (can't see why that would be the case, but you never know).

Thanks in advance, and also if it is the case that I can just get a third party one and peel off the original, does anyone have any recommendations for the best to get from Amazon?

Cheers!

kruger

by kruger

https://www.flickr.com/gp/dban/157DZu

Got this one (3pcs) from ebay. Works perfectly for second season now.
Garmin's original isn't actually screen protector, just temporary protection as seen on mobile phones for example.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

Hey, thanks for the response.

So you peeled off the original Garmin one, and put this one on instead?

You say the Garmin one is a temporary thing; it does seem quite thick though, so I wonder if it is meant to be taken off.

shotgun

by shotgun

As long as you're sure it's the original screen protector, you can remove it. It's really meant to protect it from scratches during packing and shipping.

I also purchased similar protector on Amazon. HOWEVER, I made the mistake of peeling a portion of the actual screen. I can now see separation between the adhesive around the border of the screen. I guess what I'm trying to say is that make sure it's not the actual screen you're removing
2018 Giant TCR Advance SL0 Disc
2017 Festka Scalatore
1989 Battaglin Roche
1985 Alan Carbonio

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

This is exactly what I am asking!

Have a look at these two pictures. The first one shows the wear / slightly lifting of the adhesive sheet from constant swiping left and right. The second shows the lifted up section in the bottom right of the unit screen. I have since pressed this back down. The clear vinyl I am talking about goes right up to the edge of the screen, and it not just a pull-off thin sheet with a tag on it, like you get on new electronics.

@shotgun; when you say you peeled the actual screen off, what do you mean?

nohands

by nohands

I think what kruger & shotgun are referring to is the plastic film that is placed by the factory when it's made. see here: https://youtu.be/Xxgg6PI3sWM?t=1m21s

If the 810 has a resistive touch screen like the 510 I would be very careful when removing the 'clear' part that's peeling off. You could lose touch functionality.
Refer to this image:
The PET film is what, I think, TheDarkInstall is talking about.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shotgun

by shotgun

TheDarkInstall wrote:This is exactly what I am asking!

Have a look at these two pictures. The first one shows the wear / slightly lifting of the adhesive sheet from constant swiping left and right. The second shows the lifted up section in the bottom right of the unit screen. I have since pressed this back down. The clear vinyl I am talking about goes right up to the edge of the screen, and it not just a pull-off thin sheet with a tag on it, like you get on new electronics.

@shotgun; when you say you peeled the actual screen off, what do you mean?

DO NOT REMOVE!

I also thought it was a screen protector. It's actually the screen itself. I'll take photos later.
2018 Giant TCR Advance SL0 Disc
2017 Festka Scalatore
1989 Battaglin Roche
1985 Alan Carbonio