Rossignol acquires Time Sports

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

emorydptt

by emorydptt

be Khoi, be Khang!
-2014 Cipollini Bond EPS | 2017 enigma echo SR11 | 2011 Time RXR ULTeam SR11 | 2010 Colnago EPS SR11 | 2013 Colnago C59 SR-EPS | 2011 Colnago Prestige Di2 | 2013 Specialized Shiv TT SWorks SR11

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CBJ

by CBJ

So much consolidation lately.

Industry under pressure?

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

pressure? no, it's rather large profits that generate overflow of cash. leisure sports appear to be blooming business-wise, people buy shitloads of gear (example: I've not seen a runner in a regular cotton tracksuit in years. they all dress up in those fancy, cycling-like bibs and jackets, even if it's only to run a mile or two) and they do so often simply out of fashion. like getting new skis because there's a new model on the market.

regarding Time, I always thought they make great frames but are somehow neglected marketing and sales wise. Rossi on the other hand used to do brilliant stuff, but for quite some time now my personal view is they became too focused on their image as a fashionable outdoor company. I remember their ski jackets from like 15 years ago - they were totally brilliant. today - no so much, despite the fact they cost more or less the same. same with skis - their models from the carving revolution era were some proper race machines. today - they're just products. Rossignol reminds me greatly of the transition BMW went through: from E36 or E39 to the front wheel drive minivans of today. of course their perspective it totally different, especially the scale of business.
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

53x12

by 53x12

CBJ wrote:So much consolidation lately.

Industry under pressure?

World wide economy is under pressure imo. What is coming will make 2008 financial collapse look like a speed bump. Wouldn't be surprised if there are many smaller outfits in the cycling community struggling and just hanging on by a thread.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

CBJ

by CBJ

This is what I hear too. Maybe some old guy like can afford expensive bike but who amount of unemployed or under paid young people can not.

jeffy

by jeffy

i agree, and I have predicted nineteen of the last three economic recessions.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

CBJ wrote:This is what I hear too. Maybe some old guy like can afford expensive bike but who amount of unemployed or under paid young people can not.

one doesn't exclude the other. the fact global economy (or rather: the system society's being arranged by) is at the crossroads isn't debatable. just take a look on what's going on in US&A, with crazy populists running for presidency on the one hand, and serious economical steps being taken in certain states on the other (like raising minimum wage in Oregon or Washington). europe's going through some shit too, the tourmoil with refugees and or the youth who are often marked with unemployment despite their education or low wages that unable them to live on their own. and on the second end of that stick is business, increasing their profits, complaining about taxes being too high (despite often not paying them at all) and seeing barriers and obstacles everywhere.

those businesses, deprived of humane face, thrive despite the fire that's starting at their gates. they don't see those issues, they don't want to - mostly because they don't feel they have to - if anything shall go wrong goverments will help as they always do, right? but they also operate in a manner so detached from reality it hurts. but, they do operate, they buy out, they merge, they act as if they were immortal and the future's only bright. so I stand by my opinion those merges are due to overflow, no one would buy another company expecting a crisis hitting the economy. rich get richer despite poor constantly storming the deck - I agree it's a question of time the ship will sink, at least if those with power won't realise breadcrums are enough to feed pigeons, not people.
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com