Sidi Wire Tecno 3 Buckle Removal

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Nitemare

by Nitemare

Hi all,
I'm trying to replace my buckle on my Sidi Wire shoes. I've watched the video Sidi has showing it being done with what looks like an awl tool? I've tried my own pin punch and several other types of "pointy" implement but the little pin refuses to move even a millimetre!!!

Does anyone know what tool to use (as per video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58XWXrcL8ac 1:26) or where I could get source one that the Sidi bloke uses!!?? He makes it look so easy ... I'm afraid it isn't Mr. Sidi!!!! :(

Thanks ...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TwiggyTN

by TwiggyTN

Yeah, it's a bitch. The key for me was getting a second pair of hands to really hold the shoe steady. No way it was coming off as easy as in that video. Not fun.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

Rodrego Hernandez

by Rodrego Hernandez

make sure you are hitting the pin from the right end. Getting hold of an awl the right size makes the biggest difference. Then it's just a matter of smacking it with a hammer and not smashing your knuckles too bad!

Nitemare

by Nitemare

I take it I should be pushing the pin from the "PUSH HERE STAMP" embossed on the buckle because in video he's pushing "down" the shoe and on mine the little embossed stamp means I'd have to push "upwards"?

Thanks for answers so far ... I've contacted Sidi directly but not hopeful of a response to be honest!!!

Rodrego Hernandez

by Rodrego Hernandez

there holes aren't the same size so make sure you are pushing from the small hole to get the pin through the larger hole. I think it does have push here on it or something but you should be able to see which hole is smallest.

It's a right pain in the arse to do. Get the buckle on to a solid surface, get there awl into the small hole and smack it with a hammer. There's nothing else really to add. Sidi should provide a tool to help, especially as they are now selling the buckles as a colour upgrade.

Nitemare

by Nitemare

[quote][It's a right pain in the arse to do. Get the buckle on to a solid surface, get there awl into the small hole and smack it with a hammer. There's nothing else really to add. Sidi should provide a tool to help, especially as they are now selling the buckles as a colour upgrade/quote]

I TOTALLY agree with the above sentiment ... that said they'd probably well charge for it ... though at moment I'd pay it to get the little pin out. I'll check again tonight about hole sizes ... I believe your right in that you "push" from "PUSH HERE" logo towards other hole.

Rodrego Hernandez

by Rodrego Hernandez

I've used a very small drill bit in the past but I snapped it into several pieces. I eventually got an awl the right size and I use that. Plus a hammer. The important thing is to hold the buckle still before twatting the awl with the hammer. Once a few mm of the pin are out you can pull it out with needle nosed pliers.

Nitemare

by Nitemare

Yes I've another awl ordered which I'll try ... puishing from the "PUSH HERE" embossed logo on the buckle ... I think you are right about holding buckle steady prior to smacking that pin!!!
Obviously the bloke in the Sidi video has a well greased pin to push ... as obviously they are not that easy to remove even a little!!! :shock:

fignonsbarber

by fignonsbarber

I've only done this once, and didn't have much trouble (maybe first timer's luck). I put a couple drops of wd40 on it overnight. Then I took a small screwdriver from a watch repair set and tapped it out with a small mallet

reknop

by reknop

Nitemare wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:51 pm
Hi all,
I'm trying to replace my buckle on my Sidi Wire shoes. I've watched the video Sidi has showing it being done with what looks like an awl tool? I've tried my own pin punch and several other types of "pointy" implement but the little pin refuses to move even a millimetre!!!

Does anyone know what tool to use (as per video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58XWXrcL8ac 1:26) or where I could get source one that the Sidi bloke uses!!?? He makes it look so easy ... I'm afraid it isn't Mr. Sidi!!!! :(

Thanks ...
I'm at the point where I want to customize my Sidi Wire shoes and change the Tecno 3 buckle. I don't mind buying the proper tool, but who can point me to the tool in this video ?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://www.cycling-review.net

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

I've changed these numerous times experimenting with different colors for both short cable and long cable dials. The key is getting a quality purpose-made punch. I am a watch guy so I have a high quality punch set from Bergeon Watch Tools for sizing bracelets. Can do it easily with a punch made for hard blows with a jewelers hammer. Worth buying one if you are going to be changing these dials.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

reknop

by reknop

wheelbuilder wrote:I've changed these numerous times experimenting with different colors for both short cable and long cable dials. The key is getting a quality purpose-made punch. I am a watch guy so I have a high quality punch set from Bergeon Watch Tools for sizing bracelets. Can do it easily with a punch made for hard blows with a jewelers hammer. Worth buying one if you are going to be changing these dials.
Excellent tip, can you measure the diameter of the punch tip that goes through the pinhole of the buckle. Than I can do my online research.

Sent from my Nokia 8 Sirocco using Tapatalk

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://www.cycling-review.net

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com