cheapest set up for training with power?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

seaneT1

by seaneT1

I want to take my training to the next level and that means buying a power meter and everything else that is needed (a cycling computer etc). The problem is that I am a college student at the moment with no work so I am gathering information to find the cheapest,working set up. So which is the cheapest power meter and cycling computer that can show me the power data, plus heart rate and speed? Thanks in advance :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

otoman

by otoman

Id suggest a used power tap or Stages or Power2Max that is an old but functional design. Buy a used Garmin 500. Buy a new HR strap. I imagine the $500 range would get you some very serviceable gear.
Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill

Exar

by Exar

A second hand SRM PCV could probably had for less. I'd sell you mine for E 200 but the computer needs an overhaul.
Chains to the right!

micky

by micky

I've a used wired Srm that I don't use anymore if you're interested.

seaneT1

by seaneT1

I will start looking for used stuff I guess. I have also found out that older srm wont fit my frame and that there is a large possibility that left side crank powermeters wont fit either because of the direct mount brake under the bottom bracket...thank you all for your inputs!

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

Cheapest option:

Stages (used) with a Garmin 500. Add a HR strap and you're all set. This is only a good deal if you find one that matches your current crankset.

What frame/BB/crankset do you have now?

I just learned that a Stages Ultegra will fit on a Madone (direct-mount under BB brakes) with a 1mm spacer. My Trek mechanic says this is fine. he has set up several that way.

LouisN

by LouisN

Go used, or 4iii Precision if you already have a metal crankset.

Louis :)

seaneT1

by seaneT1

I ride a Bottecchia Tourmalet with 6800 ultegra 172.5 crankset and a BB90 (or something like that can't remember the excact type right now) and the problem is that the bb is pressfit and the area around the bb is very beefed up and some old srm types that we tried fitting had a plastick cover one the inside that would "hit" on that that area, making it impossible to fit.

LouisN

by LouisN

http://4iiii.com/product/precision/

A few weeks to wait for your left crank arm, add a head unit, and you're good to go :)

Louis :)

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Another option is a speed sensor, fluid trainer, and virtual power for indoor training. I think golden cheetah enables this now. Downside obviously is that it doesn't work on the road.

allencanna

by allencanna

wired srm is so cheap now

ohhyeok90

by ohhyeok90

Stages or 4iii

if spend more, power2max.

Geoff

by Geoff

+1 for a used SRM. I am sure you can get set-up with a wired SRM for a very reasonable price. You will have reliable, world-class data that is still the 'gold' standard. You can set-up rear-wheel speed so cleanly that it is almost invisible. The down side is that you can't use Trainerroad/Zwift, etc. with it.

quadlt250

by quadlt250

I've seen the old wired Powertap hubs with the Cervo yellow computer selling used for really cheap (~$200ish)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

zev

by zev

Used stages can be had for pretty cheap.