Out in front mount for Garmin Edge 810

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

racersir

by racersir

I have a Garmin Edge 810 and I was using Barfly 2.0 mount but in a pot hole the mount broke a the Edge came flying off, luckily the Edge didn't break but I'm looking for another mount since I was using the Barfly 2.0 in my 2 bikes but now Im little scared to keep using the Barfly on the other bike, I just order the K-edge. Do you guys have had any problems with the Barfly 2.0? Any other recommendations?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I've had problems with the Barfly, but it mostly bugged me how it never mounted perfectly in line. I now use the K-Edge products. The head units fit better and they are perfectly aligned. You'll be much happier with your new K-Edge mount.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fogman

by fogman

I use the K-Edge mount as well. Get the newer one with the replaceable plastic insert.
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

NealH

by NealH

I have been using the K-Edge for years and its solid. I also have a Barfly but never did like it. Just seems cheap by comparison.

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

Why out in front instead of on the stem just ahead of the top cap?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Personal preference, easier to see, sleeker profile, no ugly rubber band mounts on top of your stem, cooler 8)
Last edited by Calnago on Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

I only ask because Cervelo recently said the stem top mount was at least as aero. Also lighter. While the out front mount looks sleeker in photos from the side in real life angles I think it looks awkward.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Cervelo, and others, say a lot of things. Personally, I prefer it where it sits with the K-Edge mount. I don't care if the K-edge weighs a bit more (any out front mount will weigh more than just strapping it to the to of your stem). And I just have to chuckle at the aero claims. You should mount it where you like it best, for whatever reasons you have.

Tenlegs

by Tenlegs

racersir wrote:I have a Garmin Edge 810 and I was using Barfly 2.0 mount but in a pot hole the mount broke a the Edge came flying off, luckily the Edge didn't break but I'm looking for another mount since I was using the Barfly 2.0 in my 2 bikes but now Im little scared to keep using the Barfly on the other bike, I just order the K-edge. Do you guys have had any problems with the Barfly 2.0? Any other recommendations?

If your garmin comes with a tether use it, if you have a Barfly bin it, viewtopic.php?f=3&t=133434

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

K-Edge for cool looking and aero.

SRAM for a cheap reliable mount on every other bike.
http://www.amazon.com/SRAM-00-7918-020- ... B009P3MOF2

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

K-Edge for me too, I need it to be out front because I wear glasses to read, and if it is on the stem all the data is fuzzy, the further out the Garmin is the better for me to see it. I use an 810 BTW.

racersir

by racersir

Thanks for the replies. I received my K edge, now I'm just waiting for my Garmin to come back from warranty. Thanks again

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com