work stands

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Totally agree with @11.4 on his skepticism over Feedback Sports comments that the strap is unnecessary on those types of stands. I have three stands, a Park Shop Stand (PRS-3) with the heavy base, a Park PRS-25 (light and portable but still seatpost clamp style) and the PRS-20 Team Race Stand which is of the type being talked about here. It has a very nice strap that secures the whole frame to the stand properly at the BB area and when tightened does not get in the way of chain rings or cranks or anything. Without that strap it would not be difficult to have the thing come right off (never a good thing when your friend is watching you work on his $10K bike, or any time for that matter). And if you're going to be doing any bottom bracket work you want that area secure. Feebacks approach to omit a securing strap or some kind of retention system in that area seems like a recipe for lots of "accidents" having nothing to do with riding the bike. All the stands have their plusses and minuses but I particularly like these types of stands for final adjustments and taping of the bars etc, since it holds the front end securely and it is easy to swivel the whole thing around at will for best access to wherever you want.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TomHelly

by TomHelly

Australian/NZ people might have come across 'Wurkstand' in Ride Cycling Review of via Instagram etc.
They are an Aussie brand and made in Noosa, QLD.
http://www.wurkstand.com.au
They are $399AUD shipped, have through axle mounts and so on.

fogman

by fogman

I have the Feedback Sports Sprint Stand and my only complaint is the lack of a bottom bracket strap. Additionally, the tote bag can not be fully zipped unless the fork mount skewer is removed, which is a hassle. I usually just put the stand in the bag and zipper it as far as I can.

Does anyone know where I can purchase a bottom bracket strap? Feedback Sports does not offer one as an accessory. Funny though, that they do have a slot for a strap in the bottom bracket holder.
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

by 11.4

fogman wrote:I have the Feedback Sports Sprint Stand and my only complaint is the lack of a bottom bracket strap. Additionally, the tote bag can not be fully zipped unless the fork mount skewer is removed, which is a hassle. I usually just put the stand in the bag and zipper it as far as I can.

Does anyone know where I can purchase a bottom bracket strap? Feedback Sports does not offer one as an accessory. Funny though, that they do have a slot for a strap in the bottom bracket holder.

Toe strap.

Or any backpack accessory strap from REI or any outdoor sports company. The toe strap works best, just be sure to get a long one.

glepore

by glepore

FWIW, performance has their euro stand on sale for $169.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

toastie

by toastie

well its here and assembled and i have to say first impressions are its pretty good. My bike has gone from this

to this since i finished my tea :D

stand was easy enough to assemble and seems to be pretty sturdy, i like the fact i can spin the bike and so far is seems to me to be a better option than the ones that i have used previously where you clamp the seat post but i guess time will tell as I've only used it for half an hour or so this evening.
On a side note and i cannot make a comment on the feedback sports stand as I've never used one, or even seen one for that matter but i wouldn't want to use the prs20 without the bottom bracket strap because as mentioned above it would definitely end in disaster.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I think you made the right choice. It's a good stand. My only complaint is that on initial setup it's finicky to get the three legs spreading out at the same time to easily pop it up, if that makes sense.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Djkinsella89

by Djkinsella89

I've had both the Park PRS-21 and FB Sprint and have to say the Sprint is by far the better stand. It's more adjustable, more stable, easier to set up, use, and transport, and really just makes the Park look and feel like something that was made in a shed. Not trying to go out of my way to bash Park in general since I typically liked most of their products from working as a mechanic for over 8 years, but the Feedback is really just that much better. I actually sold my Park less than a week after getting the Feedback!

On a side note, I'm commissioning in the USN at the end of this month and putting the Sprint on an auction website probably sometime this weekend if someone is looking to save some (no use for a bicycle work stand on a ship :cry: )

Team Murray

by Team Murray

I have fork mount style from Elite, the trainer, water bottle people. It works great. I got with free shipping and 25% off from Nashbar. Cost me about $120