2016 'PRO' cycling discussion.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

wingguy

by wingguy

I'm imagining the mood in the Astana bus might have been a bit frosty this evening. They smashed it on the front for half the stage and then... nowt much. He's moved up one place but only because Mollema had a shocker.

Is it too strong to call Astana's Tour a disaster? No stages, no jerseys, no podium, on their budget?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hasbeen

by hasbeen

[quote="Skylark"]When is Aru supposed to strut his stuff? Is it Sunday?[/quote
Monday I believe. :wink:
Casati Vola SLi and Dolan Preffisio
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=108931" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
btompkins0112 wrote:
It has the H2 geo......one step racier than a hybrid bike

axel

by axel

maquisard wrote:The most bizarre crash was Pierre Rolland's crash in which his bike just slipped out from under him in a corner. He wasn't doing anything odd, road surface looked okay and he wasn't going too fast or leaning too much.

Froome's one was strange. It occurred when he was attacking off the front on a wet descent and as others have said crossing a painted line. Bit of a stupid move, fresh tarmac is common for the Tour as it was today, fresh tarmac equals fresh paint which is glossy and slippy in the wet.

Fair play to Wout Poels who was again was at a whole other level to virtually everyone else today, as he has been for the entire Tour. He should be given leadership of the Vuelta this year or Giro next rather than Landa of Henao.

I know well this descent and at this corner the road is making a sort of wave. It is the steepest and the speediest part, at the very beginning of the corner you have this irregularity which is pretty surprising. I don't think it was wet at this moment.

Skylark

by Skylark

This is Astana.

ichobi

by ichobi

Aru, exciting attacks may be but poorly timed effort. Dude needs to learn from Bardet when to attack and make it counts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djbowen99

by djbowen99

wingguy wrote:I'm imagining the mood in the Astana bus might have been a bit frosty this evening. They smashed it on the front for half the stage and then... nowt much. He's moved up one place but only because Mollema had a shocker.

Is it too strong to call Astana's Tour a disaster? No stages, no jerseys, no podium, on their budget?

I feel the same way about Garmin, a whole lot of nothing.

nibby

by nibby

Skylark wrote:When is Aru supposed to strut his stuff? Is it Sunday?

Love it :lol: :lol:

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

I know it's tradition to have the last stage be a 'parade' for the leader, however outside of the final-stage-as-TT with Lemond has there ever been a shuffle of podium spots on the last day? I mean, really: this thread has quite a number of posters who tout the "IT'S A RACE!" byline, so in that case the last stage is still a race. Why not go balls-out and attack when that yellow jersey's team is lining up for their champagne pictures and media? Why not just kill it without mercy, what is there to lose? Tradition? Respect? "IT'S A RACE" right?
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

jrennie

by jrennie

Closest I can think is Vino in 2005 when he jumped late on the Champs and took the win with a time bonus to move up to 5th overall.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

prendrefeu wrote:I know it's tradition to have the last stage be a 'parade' for the leader, however outside of the final-stage-as-TT with Lemond has there ever been a shuffle of podium spots on the last day? I mean, really: this thread has quite a number of posters who tout the "IT'S A RACE!" byline, so in that case the last stage is still a race. Why not go balls-out and attack when that yellow jersey's team is lining up for their champagne pictures and media? Why not just kill it without mercy, what is there to lose? Tradition? Respect? "IT'S A RACE" right?

A GC rider probably has little chance of slipping away against the sprinting teams. Worse yet there's a good chance he'll lose time if his attack fails and gets dropped. A lot to lose but little to gain.

jooo

by jooo

maquisard wrote:Fair play to Wout Poels who was again was at a whole other level to virtually everyone else today, as he has been for the entire Tour.

What race have you been watching? He spent the whole first part of the race getting dropped and soft pedaling around :wink:

wingguy

by wingguy

prendrefeu wrote:Why not just kill it without mercy, what is there to lose? Tradition? Respect? "IT'S A RACE" right?

For the same reason that GC teams don't kill it on any other flat stage unless there are howling crosswinds. It doesn't work. Sky would chase them down, all of the sprint teams would chase them down, and every other team with a top 10 rider who wasn't in the break would chase them down. So they don't risk the negative press.

Not really sure why anyone would find that difficult to understand.

micky

by micky

jooo wrote:
maquisard wrote:Fair play to Wout Poels who was again was at a whole other level to virtually everyone else today, as he has been for the entire Tour.

What race have you been watching? He spent the whole first part of the race getting dropped and soft pedaling around :wink:

Yes but he has never been this strong before.
In 2011 he did a very good Vuelta, but his results are not very consistent over the years.

xena
Banned

by xena

prendrefeu wrote:I know it's tradition to have the last stage be a 'parade' for the leader, however outside of the final-stage-as-TT with Lemond has there ever been a shuffle of podium spots on the last day? I mean, really: this thread has quite a number of posters who tout the "IT'S A RACE!" byline, so in that case the last stage is still a race. Why not go balls-out and attack when that yellow jersey's team is lining up for their champagne pictures and media? Why not just kill it without mercy, what is there to lose? Tradition? Respect? "IT'S A RACE" right?

I agree. Soon as Froome toasts his victory ,,,ATTTACKKKKKK . Wouldn't that be something ,Froome smiling at the camera sipping a victory drink and in the background Astana go flying by full retard.

I WANNA SEE IT HAPPEN.

You know Merckx attacked on the last day :thumbup:
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

xena
Banned

by xena

Aru has tried just not had the form. No one has they have all been rubbish over the 3 weeks .

order of disappointment for me is

1. Aru, Only because I think in vuelta winning form he showed he was aggressive and not scared to attack and can blow a race apart.
First tour maybe got a few things not quite right but he's my number 1. He has tried so I can't knock the spirit.

2. The Bardet and Pinot. Again was expecting more, long range attacks etc again the seasons form has gone backwards Pinot especially.

3. Nibs. Even though he rode the giro I was expecting at least one bonkers attack.

4. Bertie crashing out . It should be number one but I just remembered.

5.Quintana . Rubbish, go away and come back another day when you have the mental strength to win the tour. Time is slipping away and I hope you drop off the podium ,you don't deserve it. your performance has been poor.

6. Sky's lack of preparation for not have running shoes available for their Riders :lol:
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com