2016 'PRO' cycling discussion.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

wingguy

by wingguy

tymon_tm wrote:
Dez33 wrote:Then to the charity itself, like we really needed a charity blowing most of its donations on promotional activities to make us aware of cancer? No thanks, I have two dead relatives that make me acutely aware of cancer. I prefer to put my money into more meaningful organisations.

:shock: what? do we need a charity that deals with a deadly desease many patients have no clue about? I'm curious to know what 'meaningful' means according to you, but I think I'll pass.

What he means is that, after the first few years, Livestrong didn't give any money to actually dealing with cancer. It was all 'raising awareness'. So those hundreds of millions of dollars didn't go to research, didn't go to doctors, didn't go to clinics, didn't go to patients... There was no direct link between Livestrong and materially helping any cancer sufferers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

Rondje wrote:
bikewithnoname wrote:So people, who's favourite for the Olympic road race? The TT is a shoe in for Froome assuming Doumoulin is injured, but I think the road race is pretty open given the parcour and small team sizes

dont sleep on phinney either!

this could be an awesome showdown..... the profile for the ITT has a few speed bumps in elevation so it's anyone's guess?

t martin
fabian?
phinney
dennis
froome
dumoulin

maquisard

by maquisard

wingguy wrote:What he means is that, after the first few years, Livestrong didn't give any money to actually dealing with cancer. It was all 'raising awareness'. So those hundreds of millions of dollars didn't go to research, didn't go to doctors, didn't go to clinics, didn't go to patients... There was no direct link between Livestrong and materially helping any cancer sufferers.

Wasn't going to weigh in, but fair is fair. You are wrong.

While Livestrong does not fund cancer research as such it focuses on the social aspects around cancer. It is also not just about raising awareness, it helps people. As anyone whose family has been touched by this awful illness will know it affects more than just the patient; their families and those caring for them need support as well and this is the area that Livestrong has always focused on. There are similar charities in the UK & Ireland and mainland Europe. It is quite similar to Marie Curie in the UK whose main focus is also care and support rather than research towards a cure.

You often regularly attack me for being anti-Sky. You are being derogatory about a charity that by all accounts you know very little about and that now has no links to Armstrong. That is quite distasteful and you should be ashamed of yourself.

Vagabond

by Vagabond

Green jersey = most consistent loser.
Colnago e Campagnolo

hna

by hna

Vagabond wrote:Green jersey = most consistent loser.

I wasn't aware that winning three stages is the definition of losing...

wingguy

by wingguy

maquisard wrote:Wasn't going to weigh in, but fair is fair. You are wrong.

Good point. I'd misremembered something I'd seen before.

Hey, look how easy that was - you should try it sometime instead of so being pigheaded about everything you get wrong :wink:

maquisard

by maquisard

I respect you for saying that, I hope you noticed I have changed my attitude towards Sky over the Tour. Mutual respect, life is too short for barking at each other on forums.

xena
Banned

by xena

Rondje wrote:
bikewithnoname wrote:So people, who's favourite for the Olympic road race? The TT is a shoe in for Froome assuming Doumoulin is injured, but I think the road race is pretty open given the parcour and small team sizes

Dumoulin isn't entirely out yet. Has a special brace made for him. Tried to race a Dutch posttour-criterium yesterday but abandoned after an hour due to the road being a bit harder (light cobbles) then he had hoped for. But he won't be the favourite to beat anymore. I sadly think it's a easy win for Froome with out Tom in top shape. Unless Rohan Dennis has been hiding for the entire time in the TDF.

He could zwift it. That's how PR was won this year if you know the story.
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

xena
Banned

by xena

maquisard wrote:
wingguy wrote:What he means is that, after the first few years, Livestrong didn't give any money to actually dealing with cancer. It was all 'raising awareness'. So those hundreds of millions of dollars didn't go to research, didn't go to doctors, didn't go to clinics, didn't go to patients... There was no direct link between Livestrong and materially helping any cancer sufferers.

Wasn't going to weigh in, but fair is fair. You are wrong.

While Livestrong does not fund cancer research as such it focuses on the social aspects around cancer. It is also not just about raising awareness, it helps people. As anyone whose family has been touched by this awful illness will know it affects more than just the patient; their families and those caring for them need support as well and this is the area that Livestrong has always focused on. There are similar charities in the UK & Ireland and mainland Europe. It is quite similar to Marie Curie in the UK whose main focus is also care and support rather than research towards a cure.

You often regularly attack me for being anti-Sky. You are being derogatory about a charity that by all accounts you know very little about and that now has no links to Armstrong. That is quite distasteful and you should be ashamed of yourself.

Seems pretty good to me. Someone may dope but that does not mean they can't have good intentions.
Look at politicians they have the media ignoring/covering up all the corruption and they end up like hero's to those who believe the mainstream media BS. Hillary Clinton anyone ,warmonger v cheating athlete.
https://www.livestrong.org/who-we-are

ave

by ave

>does it have any sense to go on testing old samples?
For sure, yes! Everybody must see that if they cheat, they will be caught. Just the how soon is the question.

nibby

by nibby

I thought we had done this Armstrong thing to death!!

On a better note I'm getting excited about La Vuelta :) Hoping everyone has enough form to make it interesting.

Dez33

by Dez33

tymon_tm wrote:I see, you feel hurt and your hatred against Lance is what drives this post, however ignorant it is (I'm sorry but it is). I've no idea what your reasons are, whether personal or business, but it's clear it clouds and affects your judgement.

... the rest snipped for brevity and irrelevance ...

Again the ignorance and like the other poster and the need to attack the poster rather than the subject. If you can't post without the attacks, then don't post. It's clear you know very little about the Livestrong charity and the effectiveness of it up until Lance left it, and what he used it for in the context of his cycling.

And again the assumptions, I don't hate Lance. Why would I hate him? He might be a lying cheating douche but that's no reason to hate him, plenty of other riders have ripped off cycling over the years to make a buck and they continue to do it.

Now, if you want to talk about final stage jersey changes and whether they are legal or not, which is where this started, then by all means go ahead.

Dez33

by Dez33

ave wrote:>does it have any sense to go on testing old samples?
For sure, yes! Everybody must see that if they cheat, they will be caught. Just the how soon is the question.

Agree, and I think there is like a week or so left of the statute of limitations period for the Beijing games, they should be trying to test the whole lot. Not just medalists.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

Dez, read your post once again, then rethink who's attacking who and who's the ignorant one. I mean no disrespect to you, just pointing out a) your post was pretty exuberant b) Livestrong doesn't equal Lance

whatever mistakes has Armstrong made in his life, the foundation isn't one of them - that much I hope we can agree on. I don't intend to debate the effectiveness of their programme, or how much weight does their job carry, but the simple fact they help people and do important job is enough to leave them outside any Lance talk. and yes he's not involved anymore, more reasons not to link the two.
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

xena
Banned

by xena

ave wrote:>does it have any sense to go on testing old samples?

But they wont be caught. If you or any one else thinks the Russian ban is genuinely about doping you are mistaken. This is Geo politics at work.

Look at Mo Farah for instance. An athletics coach who worked as an "unofficial facilitator" for the British Olympic champion Mo Farah at his training base in Ethiopia has been arrested in a doping raid in Spain. Mo's Kenyan training partners have been busted.
The you have Salazar as well and the fact Oregon [ nike oregon] was awarded the indoor WC and the junior WC without a blink of an eye. Who was on the Nike payroll ,,,,,Seb Coe. Mo could inject himself in the eyeballs right in front of Coe and he will not get busted. Cover ups and pay offs are ripe everywhere not just the Russians as they would like you to believe.
Look at Radcliffe's Marathon WR , 3 min's faster than anyone else including a whole bunch busted athletes who could not get near her time . That is not possible. The only ones who will get caught are token gestures or political motives.
To be honest the majority of the public don't care. Its the media who make a big thing out of it when convenient. No one in the media talks about the fact that Zidane who won the world cup, champions league just about every top honour in football/soccer and now the
manager of Real Madrid is treated like a hero and his doping busts never get a mention but Armstrong his the devil?
Lets see those Fuentes Blood bags. Anyone for Tennis.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com