2016 'PRO' cycling discussion.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Rondje

by Rondje

Interesting stage in the Eneco tour today. Tony Martin and Tom Dumoulin who can't close a gap to Gruzdev and Grivko. Both tired after a long season? The Astana duo didn't seem to like cobble's too much: https://twitter.com/ProCyclingStats/sta ... 5321641984
Edit: Apparently they weren't the only ones, should result in a DQ if they would follow the rules:

Sagan says he might not start at the worlds. But it's probably just playful Sagan talk to avoid the standard reporter questions.
Last edited by Rondje on Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

erty65

by erty65

nathanong87 wrote:dang...

who's the last person to go back to back world championships?
Bettini!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ave

by ave

What a race once again! No real leadout trains, it's sooo much better this way!

The crash was very interesting, nobody else hit the deck, just Matthews. A "lucky" crash.

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

caddis wrote:
Nefarious86 wrote:
From the way it's worded it seems it doesnt matter if your pad/tip measurement is within the 10cm if your forearm isn't level? Perhaps they were quietly fighting the wording and lost or perhaps the "fastest tunnel" position just wasn't working.

http://road.cc/content/news/104250-uci- ... tion-rules

The height difference between the point of support for the elbows and the highest and lowest points of the handlebar extension (including the gear levers) shall be less than 10 cm in order to guarantee that the forearms are horizontal.

http://www.uci.ch/mm/Document/News/Rule ... nglish.pdf

There is no such rule that forearms must be horisontal, you can keep them like TM does, but your extensions cannot be more than 10cm from pads.

That road.cc article is a bit confusing, they mention that the arms must be horizontal, but right below the part of the regulations stating that has a big strike through. The UCI clarification says the same.

I'm guessing maybe TM is trying something different out? End of the season, he doesn't really have much to lose, he may not be expecting much from Worlds?

Dez33

by Dez33

erty65 wrote:

Bettini!

Yep, he was angry chap winning the second one. The organisers tried to get an injunction to stop him defending his title in the days before the race. Epic win after all that drama.

borist

by borist

Bogan wrote:The growth of cycling in Australia, is due to the Mamil's and hipsters I hate to say. The triathlon scene has helped force the pace of technology which the Mamils like. So do I, but I'm an OFIL! This is my perception anyway. The 50 Year Olds don't play golf and whatever anymore, they are more active. Cycling is good as it is low impact. Good for knees stuffed from playing Aussie rules for years.

By the mention of Aussie Rules, I assume you are in Melbourne? The above rings true in Sydney. There has been a very large growth in MAMILs and Hipsters.... however most only seem to care about riding their own bikes / riding with mates / coffee locations. All good things, but I doubt many would be able to have an in-depth analytical conversation about the state of modern pro cycling.

We need to remember that we are all crazy, geeky fans who seek out more information and knowledge about this sport than the common person. Our opinions matter and the discussion is great, but "average joe" just doesn't care this much!

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

borist wrote:
Bogan wrote:The growth of cycling in Australia, is due to the Mamil's and hipsters I hate to say. The triathlon scene has helped force the pace of technology which the Mamils like. So do I, but I'm an OFIL! This is my perception anyway. The 50 Year Olds don't play golf and whatever anymore, they are more active. Cycling is good as it is low impact. Good for knees stuffed from playing Aussie rules for years.

By the mention of Aussie Rules, I assume you are in Melbourne? The above rings true in Sydney. There has been a very large growth in MAMILs and Hipsters.... however most only seem to care about riding their own bikes / riding with mates / coffee locations. All good things, but I doubt many would be able to have an in-depth analytical conversation about the state of modern pro cycling.

We need to remember that we are all crazy, geeky fans who seek out more information and knowledge about this sport than the common person. Our opinions matter and the discussion is great, but "average joe" just doesn't care this much!

Same can be said for many in Newcastle and on the coast, I know a fair chuck of the people I ride with in Sydney watch the Tour, past that they ride for the coffee and funny tan line kudos haha.
Using Tapatalk

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

glam2deaf wrote:I'm guessing maybe TM is trying something different out? End of the season, he doesn't really have much to lose, he may not be expecting much from Worlds?

well he's going back to his old setup for the end of the season it seems. Maybe not many good results after he changed his forearm position? :noidea:

Rondje wrote:Sagan says he might not start at the worlds. But it's probably just playful Sagan talk to avoid the standard reporter questions.

sagan...

Liggero

by Liggero

Dopers gonna dope, and you all guys know it very well. 50% of cylists are supposed to have asthma. As if they were smoking Marlboro all day long...

Unnecessary TUE's is like a legalized, permited use of enhance performance drugs. Is it doping; no? Is it cheating, yes? Sky are liers; of course they are.

Welcome to pro-cycling.
Happy Trails !!!

jooo

by jooo

Rodrego Hernandez wrote:
Nefarious86 wrote:
Rodrego Hernandez wrote:
sawyer wrote:
Rodrego Hernandez wrote:
Take a bit of time to watch the Froome videos on youtube showing him sprinting up Ventoux alongside his power / hr data. It's not a smoking gun but it does demonstrate that teams are still taking the pi$$

If by taking the pi55 you mean TUEs then yes. If you mean doping then we're back into an ill-informed circle jerk.

The TUE debate is welcome, but if anything it makes me more convinced that Sky aren't doping, but are as good as it gets at pulling every legal trick there is ...

If you think taking the odd asthma med is going to transform pack-fodder into tour winner then you're being very naive. Sure Sky do nudge the line with regards to TUEs but come one, do you seriously suggest that what we watched in that youtube vid going up ventoux was natural?? In some circles it's very well informed but this isn't the place to go into detail, it's WW and as I think I said before, this sort of stuff is out of place here.

What is it with you and your mate? "We know the truth but can't talk about it"? Blowing smoke up each others arses? If it's so well known in other circles how is it not in the media? Because those circles end with a left leaning dutch rudder? Either put up or shut up. This crap is getting old.

It is. And don't make stuff up and stick in in quotes. You just look like a tool.

Name calling seems rather unintelligent, but maybe not unexpected as you just reinforced the point with loads of hard evidence.

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

I for one hope Sagan can maintain his terminal velocity for just a few more weeks.

ico

by ico

Sagan says he might not start at the worlds. But it's probably just playful Sagan talk to avoid the standard reporter questions.[/quote]

Opposite is true. He is intentionally raising questions.

Dr.Dos

by Dr.Dos

Oh look, the Doha sprint already. :)

DartanianX

by DartanianX

Lachlan Morton off to Dimension Data.

Sent from my BlackBerry PRIV using Tapatalk

Frolle

by Frolle

Lotto-Soudal on HED trispoke front wheels in the TTT at Eneco Tour today.

Have they used them before?

I have only seen them use the Bora Ultra 50 or 80.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com