2016 'PRO' cycling discussion.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

xena
Banned

by xena

bikewithnoname wrote:There is also no level playing field in sport, for example in cricket you can pull a muscle get 2 jabs of cortisone at the interval and come straight back out onto the field (Micheal Clarke famously did this in the 2014 Ashes and scored a century if I recall), you'd fail a drugs test in cycling for that.

Of course people will say that cricket is a skill game and that his performance wasn't enhanced, my answer is if you've pulled your back it hurts like HELL, and if the injections remove that pain then clearly they have enhanced your performance.

Its crazy . You have sports commentators calling Armstrong the devil and with their next sentence without a blink of an eye they mention how such and such player is back on the field after getting a cortisone shot . Its really quite unbelievable and shows the complete ignorance of the commentators or the "keep quiet there is to much money involved" I go with the latter.
Don't forget Froome's cortisone TUE a while back. He went from someone who is supposed to be ill to going on to win the race.
Like Nichole cooke said, if she was ever that ill she could hardly even race never mind win the race.
Its bonkers how the so called Anti Armstrong journo's seem to be happy to ignore that same bullship that is still going on.
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

xena
Banned

by xena

wingguy wrote:
xena wrote:He got a 3 month ban [ I didn't do a google so I could be wrong] for Creatine use which was illegal in Italy , which is crazy because you can buy it anywhere and its already in your body ,if you get me, Its not a "propppperrrrr drug"

What, like testosterone, or (clue's in the name) human growth hormone? Quick, someone call Landis and tell him he can have his yellow shirt back! :P

It really was a way to cover up the fact that Agricola the team Dr was supplying the players with all kinds of anabolic chicken i.e. pharmaceutical goodies to the team in the 90's. Quite a few players have admitted they were given "stuff" at the time. To say that a pro sports Dr was only giving the creatine is just unbelievable . Footballers from ealier times where doping

The genius way that football (the versions from both sides of the atlantic) dealt with doping was never pretending to really give a *f##k* in the first place.

lets be honest Landis was only playing the game. Id let him keep his yellow shirt. How we could have done with "that stage" in this years bore feast of a tour"

Spot on. If Cycling followed Footballs example. We wouldn't have had a problem. There must be so much behind the scene stuff that go's on.
I bet there is a list somewhere of household named athletes that have failed dope tests that we will never get to see becoause their sport would crumble and revenue would go out the window. Its all about the " money money"

I really enjoy your views wingguy :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wingguy

by wingguy

I like it when team games say "We don't have a doping problem. And if we did have a doping problem it wouldn't matter, because it's still the skill of the player that counts most!" while >300lb dudes with <10% body fat bulldozer through each other on the pitch. Yep, skill :lol:

(And I may have misremembered but I was watching an NFL game 2 seasons ago and I'm pretty sure the commentators were saying some linebacker or another had just come back from the 6 week suspension he was given after his second positive. And cycling has the problem...)

xena
Banned

by xena

wingguy wrote:I like it when team games say "We don't have a doping problem. And if we did have a doping problem it wouldn't matter, because it's still the skill of the player that counts most!" while >300lb dudes with <10% body fat bulldozer through each other on the pitch. Yep, skill :lol:

(And I may have misremembered but I was watching an NFL game 2 seasons ago and I'm pretty sure the commentators were saying some linebacker or another had just come back from the 6 week suspension he was given after his second positive. And cycling has the problem...)

Its bonkers all of it. I know people have a go at me for saying let them dope legally and I understand that. But for me its a battle that will never be won. I don't see how you will ever make the playing field fair. Money comes into it. I follow with a medium interest body building and right now there is a gym in Kuwait " I think" where a lot of body builders are going to because the anabolic chicken is so good that they are making insane gains in just a few weeks. I think they have something like 6 or 7 of the top body builders in the world going over there to "train" One of the guys got injured in the off season and you could not tell he was a body builder because he was off the drugs, he lost all his gains, soon as his injury healed he started taking the anabolic chicken and within a few weeks ,I kid you not a few weeks , boom he's nearly 300 pounds ripped and competing in the Mr Olympia next month. The gains are just amazing. Obviously genetics comes into play but also the quality of the "chicken" and you get what you pay for.
I know I am rambling a bit" a lot: :lol: " but I reckon that doping is getting sophisticated and the rich athletes would have better access to the best gear. When you look back at the doping in the Armstrong era it was Blood bags , Epo cortisone etc. I'm sure its moved on quite a lot. If you know about SARMS for instance, They hit certain receptors like a designer drug. They are freely available although illegal in pro sports but if that's what Joe Public can buy what is available to the elite athletes with big budgets and big money to be made. When athletes say they are clean maybe they are because the drugs are so good.
I personally think the top [ rich] athletes are definitely way ahead of the testers and to think that the top sporting body's act so ignorant and shocked when athletes get busted. If say my favourite rider Contador got busted tomorrow I would not be shocked yet the UCI would make some statement saying how they thought cycling was clean etc etc ,you know the usual media message and everything carry's on like before. Its like alcohol kills 40.000 people a year in the UK . Recreational drugs kill a handful and those cases are not clear cut because of peoples predisposed health issues. Yet the Media will put make a huge thing if someone dies from taking a E etc.
Not much news about the 40.000 drink related deaths "money" The same kind of media manipulation given to PED's in sport. I would legalise doping in sport, You would not have to waste the millions of pounds and time on a never ending losing battle. Instead you could make sure athletes health is looked after and that they have expert knowledge in what they are taking [ I think the top athletes have this already anyway] and at least we are not being lied to. Don't forget that some drugs that are now illegal used to be legal including EPO. The public don't really care, it seems to me the sporting bodies care more about having good public face rather than deal with the truth look at the corruption in Football , Athletics etc.
I have 2 sons. What if you had a son/daughter who became a pro athlete and it comes down to the choice of doping and being set up for life or not doping and working at Mc Donalds " no offence meant" what would you say to them?

han1337

by han1337

The drama, the passion, the unbeatable heros that are so strong.

... and we are going to market the shit out of this.

Some guys are so hyper strong, they can rip everyone to pieces.
Why? Because they use our product (xy)

A-->B ?

Meanwhile: Heroes are Doping the *f##k* up.
And governing bodys are helping them to cover their tracks.
To keep the revenue coming.

I dont think its so extreme in cycling now than in other sports... I really believe that it is getting better.
When looking at Tennis or Weightlifting Sports.
Who the *f##k* believes those guys are clean?
That is laughable.

This is not Sports, this is entertainment.
We have to see this clearly once and for all.

KWalker

by KWalker

Back to pro cycling.

For Rio I have a weird gut feeling it's going to be someone unexpected in the RR as it basically always has been. Maybe Alaphillipe. Someone that can climb pretty well, but might have enough punch to stick something after the last climb. Someone with a decent team but not a team expected to do a ton of work.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

Rondje

by Rondje

Shame, seems like the changes in the course of Classica San Sebastian made for a closed race just like AGR, La Flèche Wallonne and LBL. Would like to see hilly 1 day races more open instead of all closed till the last hill. With teams of 8 the race is still easy to control for the big teams.

Edit: Mollema wins! Nice recovery of a bad last TDF week. Luxury position for the Dutch, 2 hilly WT races won this year and both riders going to the Olympics.

Haydn

by Haydn

Good job Mollemma!

xena
Banned

by xena

Mollemma congrats. I think the Olympics is going to be wide open although I do favour Italy.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

more importantly: Valverde was 3rd :lol: he's truly amazing, he can podium any given race any time of the year. how can his team even remotely think he doesn't deserve to be a team leader for TdF (or any other race) is beyond me.
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

I agree. Mr. "Plasma" is, and has always been, a leader in the lab, and on the road.

xena
Banned

by xena

tymon_tm wrote:more importantly: Valverde was 3rd :lol: he's truly amazing, he can podium any given race any time of the year. how can his team even remotely think he doesn't deserve to be a team leader for TdF (or any other race) is beyond me.

The only issue is that Valve's will be heavily marked. I think the smartest way to go could be to race as a team but utilize a lesser/more unexpected rider to go for the win while the big boys are marking each other out of the race.

On a different note I thought I would point out that "Durian rider "is having a you tube melt down. Check it out. Car crash TV big time.

xena
Banned

by xena

han1337 wrote:The drama, the passion, the unbeatable heros that are so strong.

... and we are going to market the shit out of this.

Some guys are so hyper strong, they can rip everyone to pieces.
Why? Because they use our product (xy)

A-->B ?

Meanwhile: Heroes are Doping the *f##k* up.
And governing bodys are helping them to cover their tracks.
To keep the revenue coming.

I dont think its so extreme in cycling now than in other sports... I really believe that it is getting better.
When looking at Tennis or Weightlifting Sports.
Who the *f##k* believes those guys are clean?
That is laughable.

This is not Sports, this is entertainment.
We have to see this clearly once and for all.

I have to laugh at the Russian weight lifting ban. If they applied that ethic to every country you would not have any weightlifting at the Olympics and to be honest I only watch it because I like when they fall over.

Re- think If you applied that logic to any sport you would not have the Olympics. Maybe Eddy the eagle should be awarded a retrospect gold medal and that swimmer who was not very good. I reckon they were clean :lol:

Decky

by Decky

I think the swimmer was called Eric the eel

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

djconnel

by djconnel

Re- think If you applied that logic to any sport you would not have the Olympics.

Sounds like a plan.

I was just in Barcelona a few days ago (days become hard to count with United snafu turning into a 32 hour return leg, but I digress), and ran by the Olympic facilities on Montjuic, as well as the Olympic village, from 1992. Olympic facilities often do not age well. Barcelona is doing better than many, for example Athens, but nevertheless if the Olympics disappeared I'm not sure it would be a terrible thing, especially given that except for a few events (cycling road events, marathon) they're elitist and exclusionary for local participation. Maybe if they were assigned to a permanent home.