2016 'PRO' cycling discussion.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

KB

by KB

The problem with Lance's case was that he was pilloried because of the person he was rather than doing things differently to other riders. SO, behaving like an arsehole was deemed a lifetime ban whereas others got off lightly. But I always thought, naively, that basically it was an offence of strict liability (you get 2 years).

I can hardly think of a Tour winner who was not implicated or admitted it. Coppi and Anquetil were open about it. Others were nabbed or never tested positive.

Then you have Tygart who said something along the lines that it was the biggest doping story ever. It's a subjective statement. Maybe he is too young, but I remember in the 60's the spectre of state sponsored doping in the Eastern Bloc that was always rumoured at, but which has now been uncovered with the scandal in Russia.

OK, take away Lance's wins, but if you're going to have a level playing field it would mean expunging nearly all the winners as far back as you want to go.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JAQ1

by JAQ1

TBH you can fight all you want and call each other names all you want.

If you go out on the street and ask any random person who Jan Ullrich is, or Floyd Landis, Riis, Veronque, etc.... you will get maybe lucky that someone actually knows cycling. If you ask if they know who Lance Armstrong is, almost 99% of people will know he is the guy that had cancer, had a cancer awareness organisation, but he cheated like hell in cycling.

That is the difference why Armstrong is treated differently. He made a big name and show of himself and he contributed to 80% of cyclings bad image regarding doping.

micky

by micky

This subject could go on by talking of retrospective (please forgive my mispelling) testings; does it have any sense to go on testing old samples? Yes and no.
Yes because there's people who have their careers built on lies, no because they should spend the energies and money on nowdays testings.

Doping is a difficult subject and I hope we can move on to talk about bikes and stuff. :beerchug:

ultyguy

by ultyguy

did Froome use the new 40mm Shimano front wheel in the stage 13 ITT? All the other GC Shimano guys used the old 35.
p.s. I really hope that new Bollide is faster as it's about 10x uglier than the old one. NEVERMIND SEE BELOW- just a normal C35 just the light that looked a bit different.
Last edited by ultyguy on Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

JAQ1

by JAQ1

Also strange that NO one used the new DURA-ACE at the TDF, not even the winner, that could have been a good startup for marketing?

micky

by micky

That surprised me as well.
I expected at least in Paris to see a team like Sky (as they are used often from Shimano for promotion) to be on the new Dura ace.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

Dez33 wrote:You might have thought it was cool if you were a Pharmstrong fan boy but 'Lance the cheat' and his 'charity' deployed as a shield against his doping meant the two were inseparable then. For years he used that charity to beat down accusations of his doping, like if you were against Armstrong you were pro people dying of cancer in his opinion.

:shock: wow, you seriously think so? having survived cancer and the need/desire to help others through foundation, has really nothing to do - maybe apart from the daring attitude - with your day job and what you do to win bike races. yes it would be a valid argument if Livestrong folded down the moment Lance admitted - but it didn't, Lance got "fired" and now they seem to live their separate life.

yeah, maybe the initial idea was to boost public image, but the good stuff they have done 100000000 times outbids the asshole Lance was.

Dez33 wrote:Then to the charity itself, like we really needed a charity blowing most of its donations on promotional activities to make us aware of cancer? No thanks, I have two dead relatives that make me acutely aware of cancer. I prefer to put my money into more meaningful organisations.

:shock: what? do we need a charity that deals with a deadly desease many patients have no clue about? I'm curious to know what 'meaningful' means according to you, but I think I'll pass.

Dez33 wrote:Then you get to the fact that once again it was a big circle jerk all around Lance, he wasn’t even the f’ing winner. If anyone was going to make a statement about something within the rules that should be afforded to the winners team, not hijacked by a pretender against the rules.

And the sponsors logos weren’t ditched, they were on the jersey as well.

UCI did the right thing stopping the race to take them off.

I see, you feel hurt and your hatred against Lance is what drives this post, however ignorant it is (I'm sorry but it is). I've no idea what your reasons are, whether personal or business, but it's clear it clouds and affects your judgement.

it's one thing to be a fraud and a cheater in your job - but then, put into a context, Lance's just a regular John Doe, with a jerk-ish attitude - it's completely another to give back to the society you owe your life to. yes he had the cancer, he beat it and wanted to spread the good word it's doable. praise the lord, halleluyah. you might argue whether we need it in our lifes, the constant reminder we're mortal and fragile but at the same time - unbroken and capable of extraordinary achievements when we put our minds to it. but you can't argue with the fact that still, even in the so called 1st world countries, many patient learn they've cancer long after it's too late. the awareness is the key, and Lance, through being that jerky champ, helped raising it. life is the most precious thing we have, and helping to save it is far more relevant and meaningful than who you are as a person. you don't need to be his fan to see how freakin important his cancer survivor story is - maybe not to you personally, but life is a bit more bigger than you, your story and your experience so far.

so please, if you need to hate the guy - hate the guy. but don't be an asshole to the idea of helping people, whether you personally appreciate it or not.
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

maquisard

by maquisard

Save it guys, you're never going to agree so what is the point arguing. Many on this forum have been around long enough to hold a view one way or the other. That isn't likely to change.

No need for name calling and all that. Each to their own.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Nevermind! Saw a photo in different light and it's def the normal C35.

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

So people, who's favourite for the Olympic road race? The TT is a shoe in for Froome assuming Doumoulin is injured, but I think the road race is pretty open given the parcour and small team sizes
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

ave

by ave

Poels, who else?

maquisard

by maquisard

Hard to call, depends on just how hard those hills at the end are.

I would say a punchy climber who had a sprint like Valverde, Dan Martin or Alaphilippe.

I wouldn't count out Greg van A or EBH either

hasbeen

by hasbeen

G Thomas for RR
Casati Vola SLi and Dolan Preffisio
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=108931" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
btompkins0112 wrote:
It has the H2 geo......one step racier than a hybrid bike

JAQ1

by JAQ1

Did the guys on the FSA groupset actually race with it? This group has been taking its time to launch.

I actually like the form factor of the RD, but it seems the FD has become larger.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/pro ... nce-183743

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rondje

by Rondje

bikewithnoname wrote:So people, who's favourite for the Olympic road race? The TT is a shoe in for Froome assuming Doumoulin is injured, but I think the road race is pretty open given the parcour and small team sizes

Dumoulin isn't entirely out yet. Has a special brace made for him. Tried to race a Dutch posttour-criterium yesterday but abandoned after an hour due to the road being a bit harder (light cobbles) then he had hoped for. But he won't be the favourite to beat anymore. I sadly think it's a easy win for Froome with out Tom in top shape. Unless Rohan Dennis has been hiding for the entire time in the TDF.